Preventing Brush Scratches?

Old 03-25-2013, 10:39 AM   #1
Wanderer
PastRedline will become famous soon enough
Name: Kyle
PastRedline's Tacoma Gallery
Preventing Brush Scratches?

Hi All-

I'm really new to off-roading on 4 wheels. I took the family camping out in the national forest a few weeks ago and took my kids to Hollister (local off-road park) yesterday.

I realize it's a truck and will get scratches but, jeez. Two trips and I've got solid brush scratches down most of the length of both sides of the truck. For a truck that has to serve double duty (fun and still looking presentable when I take clients to lunch), this is getting to be a tough one.

Is the only answer to avoid the tighter trails? I seem to be picking these up because I need to place my wheel out of a rut, and there always seems to be a bush right at the edge of the trail where I need to do that. Am I just picking bad lines? Or is this just the name of the game for off-roading a truck?

Thanks in advance,

-Kyle
Old 03-25-2013, 10:44 AM   #2
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
You could have the truck Line-x'd although I think that would be overkill. If you offroad, some damage should be expected.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:49 AM   #4
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Stick to the pavement if you want to avoid scratches.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:49 AM   #5
dsjones5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddsjones5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddsjones5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddsjones5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddsjones5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddsjones5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddsjones5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddsjones5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddsjones5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddsjones5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddsjones5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: DSJ
dsjones5's Tacoma Gallery
burn the brush? blow up the brush? Drive on top of the brush?
Lol. jk.

There is no way to avoid brush scratches if you offroad unless there is no... brush. But give her a good wax(may take more than once) and see if that helps.

Alas there is no true way to avoid this.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:06 AM   #7
Wanderer
Ok, I get it, stupid question :-)

Thanks for all the quick replies... I'll wax up the truck to try and minimize it and for me - I'll just suck it up. I got this truck to use it, not to look at it

Thanks, all...

Old 03-25-2013, 11:08 AM   #8
Rupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Rupp1's Tacoma Gallery
I always thought they should make clear tear-off stickers that you can cover the sides with, then be peeled right off when you're done for the day.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:12 PM   #9
Wanderer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupp1 View Post
I always thought they should make clear tear-off stickers that you can cover the sides with, then be peeled right off when you're done for the day.
Yeah, that's sort of what I was thinking but I have to admit, I've always laughed at the cars that showed up to autocross with painters tape covering what seemed like the entire lower half of the car.

I was just surprised by the number of scratches so quickly. Since I intend to keep using it to at least this level, I didn't want to take all of the paint off within a year
Old 03-25-2013, 02:14 PM   #10
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
Good coat of a high quality wax and a lot of effort to clean up after trips.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PastRedline View Post
Ok, I get it, stupid question :-)

Thanks for all the quick replies... I'll wax up the truck to try and minimize it and for me - I'll just suck it up. I got this truck to use it, not to look at it

Thanks, all...

x2 on the wax. saves me a lot of buttache after coffee and mac nut trails.
also, get a good buffer and find a polish you like, good polish can get rid of light scratches
Old 03-25-2013, 02:24 PM   #11
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupp1 View Post
There is a company that makes (or used to make) magnetic panels for that purpose. I'm not sure how effective they were though. I saw them in JC Whitney so they could have just been junk. This was also in the time when vehicles were a lot boxier. I doubt they'd follow the more curvy bodies of vehicles these days.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:28 PM   #12
GO VOLS!
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
Like other said WAX it really good. and do it like every other month or so. it will help keep the small scratches a way. I had 2 all the way down my truck from off roading, I waxed it and you can’t even tell anymore.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:29 PM   #13
Sloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Seth
Sloth's Tacoma Gallery
Get it the whole thing wrapped maybe. Or look into the 3m paint protection film. It'd be pretty expensive to do the whole truck, but would save you from scratches.!
Old 03-25-2013, 02:29 PM   #14

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
OR, exo-cage. Go big or go home
Old 03-25-2013, 02:30 PM   #15
Mall Crawler
MrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Dean'o
MrGrimm's Tacoma Gallery
Prevent brush scratches? uhm...stick to the malls and you should be good
Old 03-25-2013, 02:33 PM   #16
jesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to behold

Name: jesus
jesus's Tacoma Gallery
sub... I like to see what else people come up with... I would say do a full rap in clear....
Old 03-25-2013, 02:40 PM   #17

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGrimm View Post
Prevent brush scratches? uhm...stick to the malls and you should be good
That's what I do

Every once in a while I'll venture to a highway, but slow speed paved lots FTW
Old 03-25-2013, 02:53 PM   #18
Sloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Seth
Sloth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
OR, exo-cage. Go big or go home
I think this is the most sensible answer here.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:54 PM   #19
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
I think this is the most sensible answer here.
nuke the trail ahead of time- no trees, no scratches.
problem solved