Notices

Hi-Lift Jack Size Question

Old 03-31-2013, 10:52 PM   #1
Havik is on a distinguished road

Name: Derrick
Havik's Tacoma Gallery
Hi-Lift Jack Size Question

Hi Guys,

First off, I apologize if this is in the wrong forum. Second, please don't tell me to search, I would rather get first hand knowledge specific to my truck/needs. I am starting to mod the truck with the basics to do some trail riding (so far I have only been to Hungry Valley in CA and only I've only done the easy trails). One of the things I am looking to purchase is a Hi-Lift jack. My question is what size do I need? They come in sizes from 36" to 60".

My truck is a 2013 double cab 4X4 with the short-bed. I plan on adding ToyTec's 3" lift kit and get 33" tires (also if this combo is not good, feel free to comment on this as well, I appreciate any and all help). I currently have an All-Pro skid plate as well if that matters.

I am looking at getting the X-TREME version of the jack (why skimp if I don't have to) so that lessens the choices to 48" to 60". Is this a bad thing? In other words, would that be too tall for my rig (if that is even possible)? If not, should I get the 48" or would there be any reason to get the 60"? Personally I don't see a situation that a 60" would be needed but I thought I would ask people with more experience (hence this post).

Thanks in advance for any and all info.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:28 PM   #3

Havik's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by achirdo View Post

48 is about 3" from being too short for my rig
Thanks for the response, but what do you mean too short? Where are you jacking it from and how high do you need it to be? The reason I ask is that a 60" jack still seems like over-kill. I mean it would be the entire length of the bed of my truck so lugging it around would be tough and I just need examples of why I would need such a long or 'high' jack.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:46 PM   #4
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
It's super sketch using the last few inches of a hi-lift. Not every time using it will the jack be level with the truck too. Also in case of zombies, you have an extra foot of weapon if needed.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:49 PM   #5
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Just get the 60"
Old 04-01-2013, 04:57 PM   #6

Havik's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
Just get the 60"
Okay, but why? I'm asking for a reason to buy such a long jack. 'Just get it' isn't really a reason.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:06 PM   #7
CASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gabe
CASTRATE's Tacoma Gallery
The extra foot can come in real handy when "winching" out out with the lift.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:06 PM   #8
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Havik View Post
Okay, but why? I'm asking for a reason to buy such a long jack. 'Just get it' isn't really a reason.
Because you won't regret it. The only downside to the 60" is the fact that it wont fit mounted under the rear window because it's too long. The price difference isn't enough to warrant getting the 48" IMO.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:07 PM   #9

Havik's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CASTRATE View Post
The extra foot can come in real handy when "winching" out out with the lift.
That is a very good reason, thanks.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:09 PM   #10

Havik's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
Because you won't regret it. The only downside to the 60" is the fact that it wont fit mounted under the rear window because it's too long. The price difference isn't enough to warrant getting the 48" IMO.
You're right about the price, I'm not looking to skimp.

Alright you guys convinced me. I ordered the 60" extreme jack from Hi-Lift. Thanks again for all of your input.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:17 PM   #11
StickShifty is one of the sharper tools in the shedStickShifty is one of the sharper tools in the shedStickShifty is one of the sharper tools in the shedStickShifty is one of the sharper tools in the shedStickShifty is one of the sharper tools in the shedStickShifty is one of the sharper tools in the shedStickShifty is one of the sharper tools in the shedStickShifty is one of the sharper tools in the shedStickShifty is one of the sharper tools in the shedStickShifty is one of the sharper tools in the shedStickShifty is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter:
StickShifty's Tacoma Gallery
i have the 48, but i would go with the biggest one possible. Everyone mounts them in the bed or mounts them on a rack, so the size isnt an issue. You could always use the extra length for winching or lifting. figure you might need to lift a tire up a good foot off the ground to get it out of mud, or put a rock under it to get traction.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:22 PM   #12

Havik's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks everyone, I went ahead and ordered the 60" jack.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:34 PM   #13
magnetic11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagnetic11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagnetic11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagnetic11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagnetic11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagnetic11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagnetic11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagnetic11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagnetic11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagnetic11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagnetic11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: MACS2
Name: Matt
magnetic11's Tacoma Gallery
is the extreme lift over kill? and is the all cast jack just as good. the only thing i can see is the clamping rate that is different. and i know, go with the 60"
Old 04-02-2013, 10:43 PM   #14

Havik's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetic11 View Post
is the extreme lift over kill? and is the all cast jack just as good. the only thing i can see is the clamping rate that is different. and i know, go with the 60"
Is it over-kill? I would guess in most situations, yes. I just don't want to be in that one situation where I am stuck and my jack breaks and leaves me stranded. I try to save money in a lot of places, but in not in my recovery gear. The 60" Hi-Lift X-TREME Jack is $132 and the 60" Hi-Lift All-Cast Jack is $118.75. Why risk it to save only $13.25?

The 60" Hi-Lift Cast & Steel Jack is $111.25 (so you can save $20.75), but why buy the cheapest, lowest quality piece they make just to save 20 bucks?
Old 04-03-2013, 08:04 AM   #16
MudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to behold

Name: Tim
MudFlap's Tacoma Gallery
Hey ummm..... OP..... Where do you plan to jack the truck from with that thing? I have considered getting one and that question as kept me from making the buy. To my way of thinking, on a relatively stock truck the only place you could get the "lip" of the jack on to lift it would be on/in the tow hitch or receiver. With out sliders there is no way to jack from the side, and with out a steel front bumper there is no place to lack on the front. I might be wrong here and would love told different. But other than using a high lift as a winch I don't see a point in buying one just yet. Just my opinion is all.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:21 AM   #17
tomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tomtom's Tacoma Gallery
A hi-lift cannot be too tall but as MudFlap pointed out, unless you have seriously beefy hardpoints to lift from, about the only use is as a short hand winch.

I have lift points on my rear bumper (aftermarket, Elite Off-road). I had to step up to the 60" in order to jack the truck up from those lift points. So, I paid for two jacks, the 48" that eventually wasn't tall enough and then the 60". With the price difference, no reason not to get the 60".
Old 04-03-2013, 09:03 AM   #18

Havik's Tacoma Gallery
I forgot to mention that I have sliders on order from All-Pro.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:13 AM   #19
Gearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gearheadesw's Tacoma Gallery
I'v used every inch of my 60" jack a few times. Any shorter and wouldn't have been able to get enough air under the truck to star moving sand or whatever is the situation calls for. Always alone like an idiot.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:17 AM   #20
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
good choice, going with the 60''. you can use up a 48'' in no time.