Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Trail Armor: What's needed, what's good, and what's over-kill?

Old 04-03-2013, 04:52 PM   #1
Havik is on a distinguished road

Name: Derrick
Havik's Tacoma Gallery
Trail Armor: What's needed, what's good, and what's over-kill?

I am trying to venture onto more complicated/difficult trails and I am looking at adding whatever trail armor I would need. I already have an All-Pro IFS Skid Plate:

And I've ordered a set of their Rock Sliders:

But they offer so much more and I am guessing that other companies make even more pieces. So what do you guys use? What do you recommend? Are things like transmission and/or transfer case skid plates worth while? Does anyone make a skid plate for the gas tank and is that a good idea to have? I am not looking to do any rock crawling specifically, but I would like to try more trails out in the California Desert which may have some rocks to go over.

So show me what you have and what pieces you recommend and what you think is a little over kill. Thanks again for your advise and knowledge.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:28 PM   #2
VA6DCO
IgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
IgnorantlyAlberta's Tacoma Gallery
Bumpers (front and rear), Full skids and sliders is my suggestion.
It is fairly easy to get hung up under the truck if your doing any offroading.
Trail Armor: What's needed, what's good, and what's over-kill?-my-pics-036.jpg

Trail Armor: What's needed, what's good, and what's over-kill?-my-pics-038.jpg

Trail Armor: What's needed, what's good, and what's over-kill?-img00810-20130126-1818.jpg
Old 04-04-2013, 03:15 PM   #3

Havik's Tacoma Gallery
Over 100 views and only 1 response? I know more of you use trail armor and can give me some insight as to what to get and what not to bother with. Also, does anyone know who, if anyone, makes a skid plate for the gas tank? Thanks again.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:18 PM   #4
You're my boy blue
Blue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Dylan
Blue's Tacoma Gallery
Assuming you have a 2nd gen...
http://www.budbuilt.com/index.php?pa...art&Itemid=170
Old 04-04-2013, 03:20 PM   #5
I need to go return some videotapes...
Seabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Seabass's Tacoma Gallery
IFS is good, but you should at least look at protecting the gas tank and rear diff. I'd say that's the bare minimum along with sliders and high clearance bumpers.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:36 PM   #6
Neighborhood Know-it-all
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass View Post
IFS is good, but you should at least look at protecting the gas tank and rear diff. I'd say that's the bare minimum along with sliders and high clearance bumpers.
I disagree. I'd be far less worried about the gas tank and diff. The diff can take a ton of abuse.

If you have an IFS skid and sliders, I'd be looking at bumpers and a skid for the t-case.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:43 PM   #7
No longer anonymous. D'oh!
carcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
carcharias's Tacoma Gallery
All under-armor from BAMF & ATO are my recommendations. Aside from my Demello bumper, these companies have supplied everything (except a gas tank skid which I don't have). I fear almost nothing now, but the weight is phenomenal! Strangely, I still have excellent pickup whenever I want, although my mpg's have dropped.

EDIT: Reason I got things like the dif & lca skids is because after my first stock offroad adventure I noticed they were both areas which were scratched and rusting already.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:43 PM   #8
Buckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: MI Officer
Name: Chris
Buckoma's Tacoma Gallery
I think you started out well... sliders and front skids are #1.

What kind of Tacoma do you have?

If it's all pristine and you have the dough get decent offroad bumpers to give yourself better clearance and they hold up better touching things like boulders. Plus you can mount a winch if ya want.

I have done medium-hard IFS rockcrawling in the desert for 10 years and my stock bumpers showed the scars.

Some people go overboard and cover their rig with steel in the off chance a tiny scratch happens or god forbid something touches their underside. These are the same people who bolt on $5000 worth of shit to their shiny truck and consider themselves hardcore when they go "glamping" for two nights, ie, more money than brains.

There's no rush, you have a good start, do some wheeling and get a feel for what you like and where you want to go with the truck. Weigh cost, weight, etc in relation to your needs and concerns and take your time.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:43 PM   #9
Spitfire is a jewel in the roughSpitfire is a jewel in the roughSpitfire is a jewel in the rough
Navy: Surface Warfare
Spitfire's Tacoma Gallery
My prioritization was:
Sliders
IFS Skid
Transmission Skid/Transfer case skid
Front bumper
Rear bumper (still haven't done this, but have abused my stocker).

The transmission skid is pretty cheap and extends the IFS skid coverage by a lot. You essentially get skid coverage on the whole front half of the truck. I'm agnostic about the diff skid.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:09 PM   #10

Havik's Tacoma Gallery
A lot of good info, thanks guys. To clarify, I have a 2013 Double Cab, Short Bed TRD Sport 4X4. I'm not worried about MPG as I do not commute in the Taco.

My plan is not to buy bumpers, at least not right away. I figure a scratched up or even badly beaten bumper won't leave me stranded (not like a torn oil pan). I am guess for the mild to medium stuff I plan on doing these may be over-kill and may not be worth the additional weight. I figure if I mess up my stock bumpers beyond just scratches, then I will invest in bumpers.

So looks like my next step in trail armor will be a transmission and transfer case skid. My front skid is from All-Pro and they make the transmission and transfer case skids as well... should I buy from them or have you guys had problems with their equipment? In other words, should I stay away? I bought my stuff from them because they are close by and the shipping from them is cheaper.

Thanks again for the info.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:16 PM   #12
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcharias View Post
Oh, this answer outta be fun....
I've said my piece plenty of times before. He can search or PM if he wants.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:26 PM   #13

Havik's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcharias View Post
Oh, this answer outta be fun....
I don't want to start a pissing contest, that isn't my point... but if there is relavant info about All-Pro that would help me make a decision as to where I buy my gear, I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:52 PM   #14
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
PM replied.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:15 PM   #16
Neighborhood Know-it-all
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
For skids and protection, I personally feel like there are better options than All Pro.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:42 PM   #17

Havik's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
PM replied.
Read it, thanks for the info and links!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box Rocket View Post
For skids and protection, I personally feel like there are better options than All Pro.
Well, let's hear them. So far I have heard about Armor Tech Offroad and Bay Area Metal Fabrication... what other companies do you guys use and recommend.

I may have to cancel my rock sliders or send them back if it's too late to cancel.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:47 PM   #18
.<>./
capetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

capetaco12's Tacoma Gallery
I would put wraparound rear bumper on that list after sliders. The quarter panel on these trucks sticks out and is open for a whacking. It dented mine at least 7 different times before I made my rear bumper
Old 04-05-2013, 06:12 AM   #19
‹^› ‹(ಠ_ಠ)› ‹^›
NYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: bOb
NYCO's Tacoma Gallery
rear bumper check out pelfreybilt or CBI (ATO and Relentless may take a while, but are also top of the list)
front bumper..many options, cbi, pelfreybilt, demello, arb
sliders...bamf, demello, CBI and pelfreybilt are all good
skids...bud built maybe quicker, but can't go wrong with ATO if the wait isn't long, relentless had beafy skids as well, but may also take a bit..also check out pelfreybilt for these as well

#1 IFS skid
#2 sliders
#3 front bumper
#4 tranny and tcase skid
#5 rear bumper
#6 other (diff, lca, gas tank)
Old 04-05-2013, 06:27 AM   #20
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Kevin
fireturk41's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to fireturk41
Skids by budbuilt