Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Any rope experts out there ?

Old 04-05-2013, 08:44 AM   #22
TRUCK YEAH
Saskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Saskquatch11's Tacoma Gallery
have you considered one of these?
Old 04-05-2013, 09:22 AM   #23
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saskquatch11 View Post
have you considered one of these?
Yes
Old 04-05-2013, 12:08 PM   #24
Tacokid11 is a name known to allTacokid11 is a name known to allTacokid11 is a name known to allTacokid11 is a name known to allTacokid11 is a name known to allTacokid11 is a name known to all

Name: Tyler
Tacokid11's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.sherrilltree.com/Professi...-and-equipment

Where I get all my climbing stuff. Our company gets all our shit there too. Have good bull ropes and snatch blocks and everything
Old 04-05-2013, 12:16 PM   #25
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacokid11 View Post
http://www.sherrilltree.com/Professi...-and-equipment

Where I get all my climbing stuff. Our company gets all our shit there too. Have good bull ropes and snatch blocks and everything
Great link !

Thanks
Old 04-05-2013, 02:49 PM   #26
"Rumors of Bob, but never Bob. It is Bob, right?"
Bobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
Bobbb's Tacoma Gallery
Keep in mind that 'breaking strength' and 'safe working load' are two different things when deciding on your line. Breaking strength is with a straight pull on brand new line at the factory. Working load is significantly less and, as a general rule, is roughly 20% of the breaking strength.

Also, every time you bend a rope (around a fairlead, pulley, or tie a knot), the breaking strength is further reduced. There are a lot of factors that go into it like type of line, tightness of bend, type of knot, etc., but it's generally a safe rule to figure a knot reduces BS by half.

Something to keep in mind is to always use some type of chafing gear any time your line is in danger of getting abrasion, especially when it's under load. You can use a hunk of canvas tied around it or run it through some old garden hose or whatever's handy. Even coated ropes will chafe if given enough abuse.

Dunno if you already know all of this, but figured I'd toss it out there just in case.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:21 AM   #28
Ryan07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Ryan
Ryan07's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbb View Post
Keep in mind that 'breaking strength' and 'safe working load' are two different things when deciding on your line. Breaking strength is with a straight pull on brand new line at the factory. Working load is significantly less and, as a general rule, is roughly 20% of the breaking strength.

Also, every time you bend a rope (around a fairlead, pulley, or tie a knot), the breaking strength is further reduced. There are a lot of factors that go into it like type of line, tightness of bend, type of knot, etc., but it's generally a safe rule to figure a knot reduces BS by half.

Something to keep in mind is to always use some type of chafing gear any time your line is in danger of getting abrasion, especially when it's under load. You can use a hunk of canvas tied around it or run it through some old garden hose or whatever's handy. Even coated ropes will chafe if given enough abuse.

Dunno if you already know all of this, but figured I'd toss it out there just in case.

X2, good info. I've been doing rescue for years and I'm a rope access worker, it all comes down to the knots and friction points. It's one of those things you can never know enough about /remember and always learning new ways. Some of these rescue/ climbing knots work well for other applications, I can get you the breaking straight numbers if you want them, but as bob has said 20% is usually lost.
Some of the Knots we use are in this video, figure 8 knots are good anchor knots and the alpine butterfly is a 3 directional knot that is very useful, best part is they are breakdown knots (easy to get apart after loaded) Also the figure 9 knot is a extra twist and is even easier to get apart. Hope this helps,
http://youtu.be/OPltv00wU2Y