Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Winch power questions

Old 04-18-2013, 10:05 AM   #1
Gipster is on a distinguished road
Gipster's Tacoma Gallery
Winch power questions

Hi all, Not sure if I am in the right forum or not. I am installing a receiver hitch mounted winch. I am using the 4 gauge quick disconnects front and rear. I need to run power to the rear. I have heard of folks running just a positive lead to the rear and grounding to the frame. Others run both leads from the battery.

What is the group's consensus? Ground through the frame or run a separate 4 g wire to the rear?

Also, do you crimp the lugs in the quick disconnects or do you solder or both? Thanks
Jim
Old 04-18-2013, 10:09 AM   #2
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Ground to the frame is fine, that's what I did and the winch was very robust. I would just make sure to use a flap disk and get rid of the paint where you will make continuity with the ground wire to the frame. Also just soldering connections will fail over time, it's best to crimp, solder, then wrap in electrical tape with plastic conduit and cover with heat shrink for best and long lasting results.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:24 AM   #3
Gipster is on a distinguished road
Gipster's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the info. Another quick question. I had looked at the warn kit Which uses 4 Gauge wire to run to the rear. The M 8000 Has two gauge running to the motor. Should I run four gauge or two gauge to the rear ?