Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Why the hate for Rugged "Fails"

Old 04-19-2013, 07:47 PM   #21
TOYOTA.. Because barbie drives a jeep..
07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kris
07COMA801's Tacoma Gallery
I dont like them because i had mine for 19.000 miles and they were sooooo bald, i mean yeah they got me where ever i needed and i never got stuck but they wore away soo fast that they are not worth the money IMO that is
Old 04-24-2013, 09:37 AM   #22
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Chickenmunga's Tacoma Gallery
I'm a pretty gentle driver (never had a speeding ticket, drive sanely), and I started out in the offroading scene on these tires. My trails were primarily mud, roots, and rocks with enough difficulty to require sliders, spotting, and some three-wheel motion, even among the experienced drivers.

I was able to get through most everything, though it did require rear diff lock at times.

At about 20k, the tires were getting down to the wear marks and I replaced them with Maxxis Bighorn MTs.

On the same trails, I was now able to do them without the diff lock, and sometimes could get by with just 2WD. I did suffer some MPG. At 30k I ran over a railroad spike on a trail which nuked the tires. I was able to keep two of them, and they still had a good amount of tread.
Old 04-26-2013, 03:09 PM   #23
Plannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Plannerman99's Tacoma Gallery
I generally liked mine until we cross ~34k miles. They worked well on several multi-offroad excursions and I never experienced a situation where I wanted for traction. Granted, I never used them in any deep or slick mud. I found that they did well in fresh, dry snow. They did poorly in slushy, icy snow. They did, however, perform better than my MTs in snow.

I also liked that they were relatively light for MPG concerns. But, once I crossed ~34k, I got repeated slow leaks. As said above, very thin tire.
Old 04-26-2013, 03:50 PM   #24
hansdoward is on a distinguished road
Name: Dan
hansdoward's Tacoma Gallery
My 09 had AT ko's, took the 13 trd offroad up a dry trail with deep ruts. Fails slipped right off the ridge into the ruts. After jacking and stacking rocks for two hours, I drove out. They suck offroad compared to the AT's.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:08 PM   #25
HaoleBilt
elsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave Smith
elsenordave's Tacoma Gallery
I had to go 4hi to make it up a paved road...#loosemoney
Old 04-28-2013, 08:56 PM   #26
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konaborne View Post
going up a slight incline, slightly moist asphault
tires spinning
tires spinning

going through light dirt around the coffee farm
tires spinning
tires spinning
4wd
tires spinning
tires spinning

on the rocks
tires spinning
tires spinning
Same thing. Slightly wet road - spin and hydroplane. I decided never again after 2 very scary hydroplane incidents.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:10 PM   #27
LOCO 4X4
lemons is one of the sharper tools in the shedlemons is one of the sharper tools in the shedlemons is one of the sharper tools in the shedlemons is one of the sharper tools in the shedlemons is one of the sharper tools in the shedlemons is one of the sharper tools in the shedlemons is one of the sharper tools in the shedlemons is one of the sharper tools in the shedlemons is one of the sharper tools in the shedlemons is one of the sharper tools in the shedlemons is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Ryan
lemons's Tacoma Gallery
I got rid of mine after 12000 miles. Got suck pretty bad once with them. It turn out that where I got suck was a good thing , the guy that pulled me out of the mud said that the mud hole after that he had seen a chevy on 42's barried to the hood.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:14 PM   #28
otis24 is a splendid one to beholdotis24 is a splendid one to beholdotis24 is a splendid one to beholdotis24 is a splendid one to beholdotis24 is a splendid one to beholdotis24 is a splendid one to beholdotis24 is a splendid one to behold

otis24's Tacoma Gallery
They've gotta be better than the General Grabber AW's that came on my truck. I've gotten one flat on a dirt road and have torn off a few lugs on each tire. I'm looking forward to them finally dieing so I can upgrade.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:18 PM   #29
Dan
YotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
YotaDan's Tacoma Gallery
Seems the question should be - "Why would anyone want to run ruggedfails?"
Old 11-14-2013, 06:43 PM   #30
T4coma is on a distinguished road

T4coma's Tacoma Gallery
When aired down the rugged trails preform pretty well. I air them down to 15psi and they tackle pretty much anything Ive thrown at them. Here is a picture of a hill that I've made it up with these tires.

Mudding:

Rock steep hill, looks worse in person.

Old 11-14-2013, 09:03 PM   #31
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Chickenmunga's Tacoma Gallery
Woo, ancient thread on the comeback!

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4coma View Post
When aired down the rugged trails preform pretty well. I air them down to 15psi and they tackle pretty much anything Ive thrown at them. Here is a picture of a hill that I've made it up with these tires.
I thought the same until I put on M/Ts and did the same trails. Often I only needed 2WD, and my diff locker use went down tremendously. If you get the chance, do the comparison, it's a pretty incredible difference.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:07 PM   #32
The Blue Warrior
ToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shay
ToyotaKTMracing's Tacoma Gallery
My dad has them on his tundra. Lets just say he needed new tires with actual grip before he brought the truck new. They are called rugged fails because they fail at everything except on the pavement.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:12 PM   #33
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by T4coma View Post

Mudding:

Rock steep hill, looks worse in person.

Your going to get better traction on any tire (even the bald ones) when airing down..

I think price is a factor seeing how a BFG RT 265/70/16 start at about $150-$160 a tire new with 265/70/17" going for closer to $200 per tire..

That's a lot of $$ for a stock tire that in its best day performance/wear were mediocre at best.. Theres better for cheaper out there..
Old 11-15-2013, 05:16 AM   #34
T4coma is on a distinguished road

T4coma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickenmunga View Post
Woo, ancient thread on the comeback!

I thought the same until I put on M/Ts and did the same trails. Often I only needed 2WD, and my diff locker use went down tremendously. If you get the chance, do the comparison, it's a pretty incredible difference.
I am looking into new tires as these were the ones on it when I bought it. I'm looking into getting new tires in about a year, hopefully something with a little more bite.

But even still, I'm impressed with the hills this thing has climbed with these other wise terrible tires!
Old 11-15-2013, 08:35 AM   #35
otis24 is a splendid one to beholdotis24 is a splendid one to beholdotis24 is a splendid one to beholdotis24 is a splendid one to beholdotis24 is a splendid one to beholdotis24 is a splendid one to beholdotis24 is a splendid one to behold

otis24's Tacoma Gallery
My crappy General Grabber AW's do better than expected when aired down too. But I know a set of decent AT's would do way way better. Also, I've found with the AW's when you do lose traction and the wheel spins it tears bits of rubber off the tiny lugs and makes them even tinier.
Old 11-24-2013, 01:36 PM   #36
dilligaff82 has much to be proud ofdilligaff82 has much to be proud ofdilligaff82 has much to be proud ofdilligaff82 has much to be proud ofdilligaff82 has much to be proud ofdilligaff82 has much to be proud ofdilligaff82 has much to be proud ofdilligaff82 has much to be proud ofdilligaff82 has much to be proud of

Marines: VMA-223
dilligaff82's Tacoma Gallery
Go to any tire web site (1010tires, discount tire direct, etc) and look at the reviews of the Rugged Trails. They're pretty much universally hated. Seems like a lot of people have hydroplaning and winter traction problems with them, as well as poor tread wear.
Old 11-24-2013, 01:55 PM   #37
I'd rather be skiing...
teneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
teneighty's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
That's the problem with the Dungflops too

Lol
FTFY
Old 11-24-2013, 05:45 PM   #38
Rock Licker
beyer075 is on a distinguished road
beyer075's Tacoma Gallery
I still have mine from when I bought the truck, have 22k miles on them, 21,500 of which are on pavement. For highway, they are nice, I have gotten 22mpg+ on occasions. In the rain I haven't experienced hydroplaning but then again NV doesn't get much, also I have had good handling in packed snow like you would see on pavement. Like any tire though they have issues with ice. I have had to put in 4-wheel to back out of a parking spot. For trails I have only done dry gravel and old mine roads, went fine. Wear is a bit quick though, I'd be happy to get to 30k but plan on changing to Duratracs at 25k.
Old 11-24-2013, 05:59 PM   #39
Gear Jammer
Brodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Brodie's Tacoma Gallery
Only had mine for 100 miles.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:22 AM   #40
2scars will become famous soon enough
Navy: AMH2
Name: Brandon
2scars's Tacoma Gallery
36,XXX miles and a blowout

on the interstate. Offroad only the first weekend I had the truck and then it just ran up and down the interstate to get me to work. That isn't very many miles for a blowout and they were all getting close to not passing inspection.

I have Cooper Disco ATPs now that blow them away and aren't even LT C tires. And they are cheaper.