1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Why the hate for Rugged "Fails"

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by digitaLbraVo, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Nov 26, 2013 at 12:17 PM
    The109

The109 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Collins
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD OR Access Cab
    I have a little over 18K miles on mine and plenty of tread left. They do have a tendency to spin in the rain even when I'm light on the throttle. I wanted to make it through one more winter and possibly to 30K before switching to Duratracs but think I might upgrade sooner. It just seems like throwing money away because there's still so much tread left.

2. Nov 26, 2013 at 12:45 PM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    LOL!

my BIL is running on them..still a bone stock tacoma 4x4. he loves them. he is an avid skier/snowboarder in Denver. he drives carefully and has zero issues. he was unaware of the hate, and that is probably why he likes them. he has never checked into TW to find out what he is supposed to hate on.

when i got my truck, the stock fails were so bald. i never got to experience them.

3. Nov 26, 2013 at 12:59 PM
    Mr Salty

Mr Salty "Give up the good to go for the great"

Member:
    First Name:
    Hermmy
    SoCal (Bro Capital of the world)
    Vehicle:
    White SR5 Pre-runner
    Lots of chrome
    Thats a lot of tire spinning :D

Yeah they just don't hook up all that good offroading when compared to other AT tires. Nice for on the road though just like the PS DLs I had. DLs were really bad in the dirt, worse then BFG RTs, and felt like slicks.

4. Dec 8, 2013 at 2:11 PM
    Spencer

Spencer Future President

Member:
    First Name:
    TIGGLEBITTIES
    Upland, Chino... all of 909.
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB 4X4 6cyl Sex Machine
    Redline hood lift, Flyzeye cabin lights, tailgate lock, SPOD Power block, VIAR onboard air, Cobra CB radio, Firestick 4' Antenna, Hot Blonde CoPilot Mod, SIX 9" Hella 4000 HID conversion with external 55W ballasts, Six 6" LED bars, Napier Bed Tent, Mudflaps delete using rocks, Roof rack by Brute force, Rock sliders by Brute force, Bed LED lights, Underhood LED automatic lights, Constant 12V bed plug, Rugged race radio, ICON uniball UCA's, KING 2.5 700 rate coilovers, Deaver rear leaf springs, KING 2.5 resi rear shocks (Flat 0.15 stack on compression shims), Scangauge, Empty wallet Mod Bug disease, AllPro Apex front bumper, On board heat exchange shower & water pump (Heater Core intercept mod), On Board Air - Viair for now, ARB when it dies-, allpro Skids back to gas tank- Tepui RTT on the shittiest "Bed Rack" ever made.... AllPro U Bolt flip kit with timbren bumps NEXT UP- expo leafs & bed rack, hydraulic bumps in rear, Total Chaos stock LCA's w/ Bypass, Rear 12" shock hoop relocate
    The tire spinning
    The lack of traction
    The tissue thin sidewalls...ImageUploadedByTapatalk1386540577.510915.jpg
    Ripped a 4" hole on a rock that wasn't even worth taking a picture of.

Dry asphalt,
    Great.
    Anything else,
    Fail hard.
    I replaced at 15k with 285 wrangler with Kevlar so ill never have to worry about em again

5. Dec 8, 2013 at 2:14 PM
    MGMTacolover55

MGMTacolover55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orygun
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM Taco TRD Off Road
    floor Mats
    I have been using mine in 4wd on solid ice this weekend and have not lost traction at all.

6. Dec 8, 2013 at 2:28 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    The Rugged Fails are a passenger rated tire and never should have been sold on these trucks imho. They're by far the worst i've ever had... got rid of them with only 15,000 miles. The tread was so far gone i didn't trust them for the upcoming winter.

7. Dec 11, 2013 at 9:52 PM
    delukze

delukze Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erman
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2014 4x4 SR5 Texas Edition
    Stock
    Too bad they came stock with my truck, I won't be doing a lot of off-roading though. Maybe 2-3 times a month due to work schedule.

8. Dec 12, 2013 at 9:58 AM
    SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off-road
    Got rid of mine when the truck had just over 20K on it. They were wearing down too fast and developed cracks in between the treads around the entire circumference. POS tire! Replaced with Firestone Destination A/T's and could not be happier.

9. Dec 18, 2013 at 2:07 PM
    SIZZLE

SIZZLE Pro-party

Member:
    Novato, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB TRD Off Road
    A little a this, a little a that...
    Pretty decent tire for something that's put on at the factory, and so far i haven't had any problems with mine, tho i always air down off road. But to hell with it, you've all convinced me, i'm gettin new shoes!

10. Dec 18, 2013 at 10:29 PM
    gtmotor

gtmotor Active Member

Member:
    I basically broke the truck in on the dirt... the whole time on Rugged Fails.

[​IMG]

I never had any issue with them... yet threads like this made me upgrade to some Goodyear MT/R Kevlar for our huge (mostly solo) road trip coming up through the back country.

I ran them off road just about every weekend to go shooting in cactus filled, rocky, sandy, muddy areas. They definitely spin in the mud but I never got stuck. We went fishing up a REALLY bad trail and they were a little sketchy there since it was pouring rain (truck was sliding downhill with the brakes/wheels/tires fully locked). That was the only time I was really nervous about them.

I also thought they were fine up at our cabin in the snow... maybe I was just really lucky.

[​IMG]

I had 9/32" tread left after 22k miles. Sold them on Craigslist for $200 tonight [​IMG]

11. Dec 18, 2013 at 10:36 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    This. The Rugged Trails are pretty good on pavement, quiet and stable at 100+ mph. Good cornering grip, too.

12. Dec 19, 2013 at 6:41 PM
    dilligaff82

dilligaff82 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off Road DCSB
    Now that I've run the Rugged Trails through a few snow storms in the mountains of New Hampshire I gotta say they're not as bad as I expected from all the comments I've read about them.

13. Dec 19, 2013 at 8:37 PM
    Spencer

Spencer Future President

Member:
    First Name:
    TIGGLEBITTIES
    Upland, Chino... all of 909.
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB 4X4 6cyl Sex Machine
    Redline hood lift, Flyzeye cabin lights, tailgate lock, SPOD Power block, VIAR onboard air, Cobra CB radio, Firestick 4' Antenna, Hot Blonde CoPilot Mod, SIX 9" Hella 4000 HID conversion with external 55W ballasts, Six 6" LED bars, Napier Bed Tent, Mudflaps delete using rocks, Roof rack by Brute force, Rock sliders by Brute force, Bed LED lights, Underhood LED automatic lights, Constant 12V bed plug, Rugged race radio, ICON uniball UCA's, KING 2.5 700 rate coilovers, Deaver rear leaf springs, KING 2.5 resi rear shocks (Flat 0.15 stack on compression shims), Scangauge, Empty wallet Mod Bug disease, AllPro Apex front bumper, On board heat exchange shower & water pump (Heater Core intercept mod), On Board Air - Viair for now, ARB when it dies-, allpro Skids back to gas tank- Tepui RTT on the shittiest "Bed Rack" ever made.... AllPro U Bolt flip kit with timbren bumps NEXT UP- expo leafs & bed rack, hydraulic bumps in rear, Total Chaos stock LCA's w/ Bypass, Rear 12" shock hoop relocate
    They're not "horrible" as in dangerous or completely useless off pavement though this thread would convince you otherwise.
    You'd be surprised how well you can do with bald Craigslist tires if you're careful & air down right.

I think most of the hate here comes from upgrading & realizing how shitty they were after you get a new set.

Products Discussed in

To Top