Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Why the hate for Rugged "Fails"

Old 04-18-2013, 11:58 PM   #1
digitaLbraVo is on a distinguished road
digitaLbraVo's Tacoma Gallery
Why the hate for Rugged "Fails"

So what's up with all the "rugged fail" hate 'round here. I mean I haven't tried otherwise so I'm not gonna act like I am an authority on the matter, but I do not understand the hate? So far they've handled every bit of offroading I've tossed their way and then some, succumbing only to some very sandy/muddy mixture that I'm fairly sure even mud tires would have had difficulty with.

tl;dr why don't you like the BF Goodrich Rugged Trail tires?
Old 04-19-2013, 12:01 AM   #2
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jake
95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
i have no experience with them, so i don't have a opinion, but from what i've read they wear fairly fast vs a comparable tire, and they don't grip as well as other A/T tires.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:12 AM   #3
Interesting. I wonder if anyone can back that up with actual personal experience? Like miles on two sets of tires to compare or any proof of non-placebo performance on the trail.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:16 AM   #4
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
It's because Trail rhymes with Fail making Rugged Fails easy to remember as a catchy phrase to be repeated similar to stealership
Old 04-19-2013, 12:22 AM   #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
It's because Trail rhymes with Fail making Rugged Fails easy to remember as a catchy phrase to be repeated similar to stealership
Well I caught that one for sure I just cannot find where the ground is underneath these claims that the tires are inherently bad.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:23 AM   #6
jbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jbmccul's Tacoma Gallery
I had a set on my old xterra. They don't clean out at all. The center tread is an all-terrain type tread but the outside doesn't have the cuts necessary to clear out mud.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:24 AM   #7
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmccul View Post
I had a set on my old xterra. They don't clean out at all. The center tread is an all-terrain type tread but the outside doesn't have the cuts necessary to clear out mud.
That's the problem with the Dunflops too

Lol
Old 04-19-2013, 12:24 AM   #8
Findus11 will become famous soon enoughFindus11 will become famous soon enough
Findus11's Tacoma Gallery
They suck. I popped two rugged fails. At the same time. On the same rock haha. Low ply count, shitty grip in sand and mud, and their tendency to hydroplane actually gave me a grin when I saw 2 out of 4 flat tires on my truck.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:28 AM   #9
Out fer a Rip eh Bud
VanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: DJ
VanCity4x's Tacoma Gallery
Decent for street/highway ware. Ok for light duty ofroad, better then highway tires. Ive run them offroad and torn chunks and riped the tread pretty bad. They shread up very easly on rock/gravel and have far less traction than AT tires. Wet road and snow traction is poor. Dont grip the road or trail very well.

If you offroad at all id advise against these, AT is way better, and if you dont offroad a highway tire would probably suit you better.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:29 AM   #10
jbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jbmccul's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
That's the problem with the Dunflops too

Lol
I'm not a big fan of those either. But I have wheeled them

Old 04-19-2013, 12:33 AM   #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanCity4x View Post
Decent for street/highway ware. Ok for light duty ofroad, better then highway tires. Ive run them offroad and torn chunks and riped the tread pretty bad. They shread up very easly on rock/gravel and have far less traction than AT tires. Wet road and snow traction is poor. Dont grip the road or trail very well.

If you offroad at all id advise against these, AT is way better, and if you dont offroad a highway tire would probably suit you better.
Well I know when they're at the end of their rope I'll be going with something that isn't the same tire, this I've decided. I just know so far? The only time they were fully out matched was on a steep hill with mud that was slick as ice.

Otherwise? I stick to the ground and have made it up some pretty steep, albeit dry, hills.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:37 AM   #12

jbmccul's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitaLbraVo View Post
Well I know when they're at the end of their rope I'll be going with something that isn't the same tire, this I've decided. I just know so far? The only time they were fully out matched was on a steep hill with mud that was slick as ice.

Otherwise? I stick to the ground and have made it up some pretty steep, albeit dry, hills.
This is the only environment where the rugged fails are "Successful"
Old 04-19-2013, 12:43 AM   #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmccul View Post
This is the only environment where the rugged fails are "Successful"
Yeah I could see that. In other news: the suggested reading based on title at the bottom has brought up interesting threads I hadn't seen before.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:09 AM   #14
roadking1 is on a distinguished road
roadking1's Tacoma Gallery
I thought the Rugged Trails were okay,until I reached 30,000 miles.Started hydroplaning. The tires were at the wear marks. I am very happy with my Cooper Discoverer H/T tires now.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:11 AM   #15
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
going up a slight incline, slightly moist asphault
tires spinning
tires spinning

going through light dirt around the coffee farm
tires spinning
tires spinning
4wd
tires spinning
tires spinning

on the rocks
tires spinning
tires spinning
Old 04-19-2013, 01:13 AM   #17
Warputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet - 1st Inf. Div.
Name: Chris
Warputer's Tacoma Gallery
Hell, my Rugged Trails got me stuck in the front yard, on wet grass.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:15 AM   #18

jbmccul's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warputer View Post
Hell, my Rugged Trails got me stuck in the front yard, on wet grass.
My Dunlops did that to me
Old 04-19-2013, 10:41 AM   #19
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. Sir
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
The terrain you wheel in makes a difference. I wheeled mine for 20K miles on mostly dry rocky trails in California and Nevada and not had any problems. In fact I never even aired them down--not once!
Old 04-19-2013, 07:44 PM   #20
mikebuyscars is on a distinguished road
Name: Mike
mikebuyscars's Tacoma Gallery
i know I will never again put anything under my truck that says BFG. I am running Cooper AT3 right now, so far so good