Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Scepter MFC Jerry Can owners , I have a question for you

Old 04-21-2013, 06:09 PM   #21
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
I had a look today , I don't see any cracks or defects in the breather chamber

Old 04-21-2013, 09:06 PM   #22
The Sticker Guy
ruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ruggedT's Tacoma Gallery
Im at a loss
Old 04-21-2013, 09:12 PM   #23
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Nick
Forster46's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Forster46
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouyin2000 View Post
Then that is exactly your problem. The plastic ones are garbage, especially in cold weather. They are brittle and easily cross threaded.

If you look at the cans, they should have a small breather hole on the lip of the threaded opening. If that hole and the breather hole on the horsecock cap don't line up perfectly (and they almost never do) you'll encounter problems. Ideally you should look into finding a metal one.
I've used this exact one many times with these cans, and prefer it over the plastic ones any day.

But if you can't find one of those, maybe try getting a larger spout. You likely are getting a bit of a blockage with the 3/4" spout. Try the 1 1/8" spout offered by Scepter. These are the ones we use the most with the cans.

http://www.sceptermilitary.com/fuel_...s_parts/04353/

The nozzle is a bit large for gasoline, but pour carefully?
These metal nozzles are amazing. I have four red metal jerry cans and two of these metal nozzles. Never had any leakage before. Just have to make sure that seal stays good.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:24 PM   #24
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster46 View Post
These metal nozzles are amazing. I have four red metal jerry cans and two of these metal nozzles. Never had any leakage before. Just have to make sure that seal stays good.
The problem isn't that the nozzle isn't sealing properly , there is fuel dribbling out of the breather hole while I pour
Old 04-21-2013, 10:01 PM   #26
silver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
silver taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kigi View Post
Picked up one of these to use with the scepter can...
http://www.leevalley.com/EN/home/PrintPage.aspx?p=10361
This is what I use as well. Just rest the can on top of the bedside and let it do the work for you.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:14 PM   #27

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver taco View Post
This is what I use as well. Just rest the can on top of the bedside and let it do the work for you.
I could see that being a good way to go for emptying the can into the truck , but I'm not always using it with the truck and want to sort out a way to get a regular spout to work
Old 04-22-2013, 07:41 AM   #28
ouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Royal Canadian Air Force: Mobile Support Equipment Operator
Name: Ryan
ouyin2000's Tacoma Gallery
I'm convinced your problem is the smaller horsecock. The can pours too fast for it to keep up, and it's just back flowing out the breather hole. But a larger diameter would make it more difficult to pour into small openings.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:50 PM   #30
all.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shed

all.on.black's Tacoma Gallery
I had the same problem as you. It's the small spout. Replace it with the bigger one and your problem will go away. I fill my truck up with the bigger spout and don't have any issues. Just about everything else I fill up allows the bigger spout to fit into the opening. Since you're in Canada you'll have an easier time getting the bigger spout.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:17 PM   #31

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by all.on.black View Post
I had the same problem as you. It's the small spout. Replace it with the bigger one and your problem will go away. I fill my truck up with the bigger spout and don't have any issues. Just about everything else I fill up allows the bigger spout to fit into the opening. Since you're in Canada you'll have an easier time getting the bigger spout.
I thought the bigger spout wouldn't fit the filler hole ?
Old 04-24-2013, 03:44 PM   #32
all.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
I thought the bigger spout wouldn't fit the filler hole ?
The filler hole on the truck? If so, it doesn't. It doesn't need to though. Press it up against the filler hole and pour.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:52 PM   #33

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The filler hole on the truck? If so, it doesn't. It doesn't need to though. Press it up against the filler hole and pour.
gotcha

I guess it wouldn't be too difficult to rig an adaptor to the end of the nozzle to taper it to just fit

I will buy the 1 1/8" spout tomorrow and try this
Old 04-24-2013, 04:04 PM   #34
Get off your horse and drink your milk.
teamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant future

teamamerica's Tacoma Gallery
it could just be the spout, i realized that the one's that screw on top are really hit or miss on if they leak or not. but the ones that go inside the spout and expand (like the metal one posted) rarely ever leak.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:22 PM   #35

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamamerica View Post
it could just be the spout, i realized that the one's that screw on top are really hit or miss on if they leak or not. but the ones that go inside the spout and expand (like the metal one posted) rarely ever leak.
It's not leaking from the spout seal , it's coming out the breather hole
Old 04-24-2013, 05:03 PM   #36
ouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Royal Canadian Air Force: Mobile Support Equipment Operator
Name: Ryan
ouyin2000's Tacoma Gallery
The bigger one would be fine, just go carefully with it until you're comfortable. I don't think it will fit inside the filler hole, so you'll have to just press it against and say a prayer, haha. Maybe keep a bucket of water handy so you can wash any fuel off of the paint if it spills.

The plastic ones work well enough, I just prefer the metal ones myself. The plastic ones crack easily if you crank them on too tight. Especially in the cold.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:06 PM   #37

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouyin2000 View Post
The bigger one would be fine, just go carefully with it until you're comfortable. I don't think it will fit inside the filler hole, so you'll have to just press it against and say a prayer, haha. Maybe keep a bucket of water handy so you can wash any fuel off of the paint if it spills.

The plastic ones work well enough, I just prefer the metal ones myself. The plastic ones crack easily if you crank them on too tight. Especially in the cold.
It never gets that cold where I live , -10C is crazy cold here

I was thinking I could get a short piece (4") piece of surgical tubing that fits the filler hole and heat it up enough to go over the end of the larger Scepter filler , then the spout could be positively inserted into to filler hole
Old 04-24-2013, 10:05 PM   #38

You don't need it to fit into the filler hole. I've filled my truck tens of times and never had any spills or other issues. Just make sure you have enough space in the tank for all the fuel you are putting in. I always fill it at full flow and never have any problems. The breather hole is the limiting factor and you wont be flowing as much fuel as you may think.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:19 PM   #39
Ghost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
Ghost848's Tacoma Gallery
I had same issue oz, pisses gas everywhere. What i did was take it off put some gas on the rubber gasket and tightend back up... Like an oil filter if i may fixed it and not another drop
Old 04-24-2013, 10:32 PM   #40

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You don't need it to fit into the filler hole. I've filled my truck tens of times and never had any spills or other issues. Just make sure you have enough space in the tank for all the fuel you are putting in. I always fill it at full flow and never have any problems. The breather hole is the limiting factor and you wont be flowing as much fuel as you may think.
Thanks