LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Scepter MFC Jerry Can owners , I have a question for you

Old 04-20-2013, 04:39 PM   #1
Questions... Morphology? Longevity? Incept dates?
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Scepter MFC Jerry Can owners , I have a question for you

When I pour gas from my Scepter MFC jerry cans , I can't seem to keep fuel from dribbling out of the breather hole while I'm pouring

I'm using the Scepter 3/4" nozzle

Any tips ?
Old 04-20-2013, 05:32 PM   #3
Kailey Jo will become famous soon enoughKailey Jo will become famous soon enough

Name: Liam
Kailey Jo's Tacoma Gallery
Crappy Tire has an answer for you: http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en
Old 04-20-2013, 05:33 PM   #4
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kailey Jo View Post
Not interested in that system , thanks
Old 04-20-2013, 07:32 PM   #6

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouyin2000 View Post
Is your nozzle metal or plastic?
Plastic

This one

http://www.sceptermilitary.com/fuel_...s_parts/04856/
Old 04-20-2013, 07:41 PM   #7
ouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Royal Canadian Air Force: Mobile Support Equipment Operator
Name: Ryan
ouyin2000's Tacoma Gallery
Then that is exactly your problem. The plastic ones are garbage, especially in cold weather. They are brittle and easily cross threaded.

If you look at the cans, they should have a small breather hole on the lip of the threaded opening. If that hole and the breather hole on the horsecock cap don't line up perfectly (and they almost never do) you'll encounter problems. Ideally you should look into finding a metal one.
I've used this exact one many times with these cans, and prefer it over the plastic ones any day.

But if you can't find one of those, maybe try getting a larger spout. You likely are getting a bit of a blockage with the 3/4" spout. Try the 1 1/8" spout offered by Scepter. These are the ones we use the most with the cans.

http://www.sceptermilitary.com/fuel_...s_parts/04353/

The nozzle is a bit large for gasoline, but pour carefully?
Old 04-20-2013, 07:44 PM   #8

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the info

So , the breather hole needs to align with the holes in the cap portion of the spout ?
Old 04-20-2013, 07:48 PM   #9
ouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Ideally yes, but if you're getting back flow from a restrictive opening it won't matter. I hate using them to fill gas vehicles. Such a pain in the ass with a small opening. The larger horsecock is much easier to use, but would only fit a tank on a diesel vehicle.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:53 PM   #10

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ideally yes, but if you're getting back flow from a restrictive opening it won't matter. I hate using them to fill gas vehicles. Such a pain in the ass with a small opening. The larger horsecock is much easier to use, but would only fit a tank on a diesel vehicle.
Yeah , that's why I got the smaller diameter one for my truck

I emailed Scepter and they suggested that some fuel is getting caught in the breather chamber inside the can , and to put on the spout and tilt the can backwards to drain the breather chamber , and to pour slowly , I tried that today with the same result
Old 04-20-2013, 08:01 PM   #11

Hm. The only other thing I could recommend is try a different technique. Like laying the can on it's side when you pour. I know how difficult they can be to maneuver when they're full.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:03 PM   #12

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Hm. The only other thing I could recommend is try a different technique. Like laying the can on it's side when you pour. I know how difficult they can be to maneuver when they're full.
Yeah , I think part of the problem is the can was totally full .

Thanks for your help
Old 04-20-2013, 08:08 PM   #13
kigi is on a distinguished road
kigi's Tacoma Gallery
Picked up one of these to use with the scepter can...
http://www.leevalley.com/EN/home/PrintPage.aspx?p=10361
Old 04-20-2013, 09:14 PM   #14
The Sticker Guy
ruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ruggedT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post

When I pour gas from my Scepter MFC jerry cans , I can't seem to keep fuel from dribbling out of the breather hole while I'm pouring

I'm using the Scepter 3/4" nozzle

Any tips ?
You sure its coming out of the breather? I added a rubber washer to my home brew to stop some dribbles that only one of my tanks had. o-ring came off an old oil filter from the truck. I gave up on that garbage clamp spout long ago
Old 04-20-2013, 09:16 PM   #15

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruggedT View Post
You sure its coming out of the breather? I added a rubber washer to my home brew to stop some dribbles that only one of my tanks had. o-ring came off an old oil filter from the truck. I gave up on that garbage clamp spout long ago
Certain it comes out of the breather hole
Old 04-20-2013, 09:17 PM   #16

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kigi View Post
Picked up one of these to use with the scepter can...
http://www.leevalley.com/EN/home/PrintPage.aspx?p=10361
Thanks
Old 04-20-2013, 09:21 PM   #17
The Sticker Guy
ruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ruggedT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Certain it comes out of the breather hole
Look inside, see if the little white thing is still there.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:23 PM   #18

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Look inside, see if the little white thing is still there.
The breather tube in line with the handle ?

It's there
Old 04-20-2013, 09:27 PM   #19
The Sticker Guy

ruggedT's Tacoma Gallery
It cracked? Look w/ a mirror
Old 04-20-2013, 09:35 PM   #20

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It cracked? Look w/ a mirror
This is a brand new can , but I will have a closer look tomorrow

Thanks for your help