Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

2 Meter HAM Question

Old 05-03-2013, 01:27 AM   #21
distinguished bongo truck art critic
Mxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police Platoon Leader
Name: Chase
Mxpatriot's Tacoma Gallery
Amazon sells some pocket size repeater reference books as well, not a bad thing to have.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:08 AM   #22
kd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Henry
kd8bao's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeverich View Post
Excellent install! The NMO-style mounts are pretty great little pieces of hardware. I did ream the hole before threading the base in - but, I did't scrape paint away to get better conductivity for a ground.. Think I'll be alright?

Pretty impressed with the capability and functionality of even a low end radio like the Yaesu!

Did a short "test" and was able to contact a repeater 52 miles away on 10 watts, with a great signal report! I'm hooked on HAM. Can't wait to get a call sign.

Also, how important is it that I get my antenna tuned? Running a 5/8th Wave Larsen 150B... Think I'll be picking up a rubber ducky for trail comms.
The nmo will "self pierce" the paint to get ground on the bottom part.

Tuning the antenna is fairly important. When you got the antenna it should have come with a chart for length and instructions on how to measure. One way is go to the middle of the ham band or you focus on the main freq your gonna be on. The other option is to find a swr meter and tune it that way. I personally have not ever used a swr meter on mine. I use the chart and go from there. Never had any issues.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:39 AM   #23
Banned
SoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
SoCaltaco65's Tacoma Gallery
Faceplate mounted to a custom overhead console.

Old 05-03-2013, 11:46 AM   #24
Whitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud of

Name: Whit
Whitster's Tacoma Gallery

They are the recognized repeater/frequency coordinating body for WA.
They probably have maps available showing repeater locations and access info.

It's rare to be out of range of a mountain-top repeater, you can't hide from them. ;->
Another source: http://www.levinecentral.com/repeate...g.php?State=WA

Whit
WB0CJX
Old 05-03-2013, 05:16 PM   #25
cmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Chris
cmj's Tacoma Gallery
I just checked your build thread and I have to say, your truck is really looking good. In addition to having all the local repeaters programmed, remember that the vhf national calling frequency is 146.520 simplex. I don't think it gets a lot of use but it could prove useful someday on the trail. Cheers!
Old 05-04-2013, 12:26 AM   #26
jeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
jeverich's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmj View Post
I just checked your build thread and I have to say, your truck is really looking good. In addition to having all the local repeaters programmed, remember that the vhf national calling frequency is 146.520 simplex. I don't think it gets a lot of use but it could prove useful someday on the trail. Cheers!
It's coming along nicely..!

Thanks for all of the comments - working on setting local repeaters into the memory.

Anxiously awaiting taking the tech test on Tuesday!