LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

what makes a truck jumpable?

Old 05-21-2013, 10:31 AM   #21
Atleast it wasn't Green!
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: SGT, Cannon Crew Member, A Btry 1-148th FA
Name: Brady
BradyT88's Tacoma Gallery
I hit bumps when I land but I have done some 30-40 jumps now with no problems at all. Landings can be rough (probably really rough when compared to a good LT kit) but I don't think they aren't too bad. I have about 10" of travel up front and 13" in the rear. I could probably do some more high speed stuff in the whoops and what not by I need some shorter bumps stops in the rear they hit too soon and I buck easy. A little stiffer valving would be nice too. haha

Those last 3 pics I posted I was doing about 40mph. There are some videos of me doing those same jumps at around 60mph but I haven't got them from my friend yet and his facebook profile is set to private so you can't see them unless you are friends with him.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:33 AM   #22
Cypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 2A773 Retired
Cypherian's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtxsub View Post
Hi Tw I want to know what is needed to build a tacoma that can pre-run and hit bumps with out slowing down and jumps.
Don't forget the two most important things to do first make a Will and get Life Insurance...

Cypher
Old 05-21-2013, 10:35 AM   #23
REBELTACO
The Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
The Traveler's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradyT88 View Post
I hit bumps when I land but I have done some 30-40 jumps now with no problems at all. Landings can be rough (probably really rough when compared to a good LT kit) but I don't think they aren't too bad. I have about 10" of travel up front and 13" in the rear. I could probably do some more high speed stuff in the whoops and what not by I need some shorter bumps stops in the rear they hit too soon and I buck easy. A little stiffer valving would be nice too. haha

Those last 3 pics I posted I was doing about 40mph. There are some videos of me doing those same jumps at around 60mph but I haven't got them from my friend yet and his facebook profile is set to private so you can't see them unless you are friends with him.
Ummm...I don't know quite know how to put this...but 5100's are not meant for that sort of abuse. Neither are the stock coils, arms, spindles, and leaf springs. And hitting a jump at 60mph would almost call for a full engine/roll cage. That's just reckless abuse.

Have you ever sat in a full LT truck before? I'll bet after you do, you'll never jump your truck with that setup because that is NOT what it's supposed to feel like.

Trust me, I've jumped my 5100's once by accident. My back killed me for a week.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:37 AM   #24
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Monster Coma's Tacoma Gallery
Old 05-21-2013, 10:39 AM   #25
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
All it takes and speed and a ramp to make a truck jump. Landing on the other hand... that's a bit trickier
Old 05-21-2013, 10:39 AM   #26
AKA ::1
127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 12th TIS
127.0.0.1's Tacoma Gallery
---------what makes a truck jumpable ? ---------------

about 15,000 bucks

1) roll cage, super beef
2) disable and remove SRS
3) upgrade motor mounts, suspension, fuel tank, to handle the hits
4) safety harness
5) Hans head restraint
6) kidney belt/back protector
7) fire suit
8) safety crew/ambulance on standby

go nuts. in all honesty (and longevity) anything less than the above you
are asking for serious injury or death. shit, my Yaris can jump, but should it ?
Your taco can already jump, should it ? A TRD-OR bone-stock only means
it can handle long hours of washboard suspension pounding without much
performance loss, but jumpable ? big NOPE

forgot to mention. remove all the metal bodywork and replace
with composites (fiberglass, plastic, carbon fiber) if you want to
really jump
Old 05-21-2013, 10:39 AM   #27
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
You don't need to do anything. They do great stock
http://youtu.be/mVkWA0uoYC8

at 1:23 you can see me GTFOing in my white shirt and camera, where I took these pics:

Old 05-21-2013, 10:42 AM   #28
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Traveler View Post
Ummm...I don't know quite know how to put this...but 5100's are not meant for that sort of abuse. Neither are the stock coils, arms, spindles, and leaf springs. And hitting a jump at 60mph would almost call for a full engine/roll cage. That's just reckless abuse.

Have you ever sat in a full LT truck before? I'll bet after you do, you'll never jump your truck with that setup because that is NOT what it's supposed to feel like.

Meh... I've had my truck airborn with 5100's and it wasn't that bad. The landing was a nice, smooth slope though, I didn't come down flat.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:42 AM   #29
Atleast it wasn't Green!
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Traveler View Post

You must have a bad back or something. Mine isn't that rough. I'm pretty picky about where I jump though. I have had some rougher landings, but no sketchy ones yet. Truck goes up truck comes down, pretty simple stuff really. Me or any of my passengers or spectators have never had reason to think we were in danger. Maybe danger of breaking the truck but everyone is safe.

Yeah it is a bit reckless (truck abuse-wise). I have not rode in a full LT rig though and yes I know I have a lot of gusseting and other shit to do. All in due time. I'm hoping to get a DMZ or Giant SUA kit and bedcage for the rear next and a lot of gusseting up front.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:45 AM   #30
Atleast it wasn't Green!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawke88 View Post
at 1:23 you can see me GTFOing in my white shirt and camera, where I took these pics:

That guy is fucking stupid! Doesn't even look like he is wearing his seatbelt in that last pic. I'm surprised it didn't roll. I may jump my rig but I don't abuse it anything like that!

Nice pics though!!
Old 05-21-2013, 10:46 AM   #31
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That guy is fucking stupid! Doesn't even look like he is wearing his seatbelt in that last pic. I'm surprised it didn't roll. I may jump my rig but I don't abuse it anything like that!

Nice pics though!!
literally, right before he jumped that, he pulled up next to me and said "hold me beer while i take off my seat belt"
Old 05-21-2013, 10:50 AM   #32
Atleast it wasn't Green!

Quote:
literally, right before he jumped that, he pulled up next to me and said "hold me beer while i take off my seat belt"
Old 05-21-2013, 10:59 AM   #33
Beer
TimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Timmy
TimmyB's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Can't cure stupid. Nice pics tho!
Old 05-21-2013, 09:06 PM   #36
Atleast it wasn't Green!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Brady cleared 100'
Yeah... got it... don't ask me to eyeball distances for you. Haha not my specialty that's for sure.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:08 PM   #37
Questions... Morphology? Longevity? Incept dates?
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah... got it... don't ask me to eyeball distances for you. Haha not my specialty that's for sure.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:24 PM   #38
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Nice pics though!!
Seatbelt?

Old 05-22-2013, 07:28 PM   #39
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Get a dirtbike.