Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Help me plan a *lonely* trip through the SoCal desert

Old 06-01-2013, 06:17 PM   #21
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Ready to roll.

Pre Work: "Think of a difficult conversation you've had with a co-worker. Now take a sheet of paper and draw a line down the middle. On the right side, record what was actually said. On the left side, record your unspoken thoughts during the conversation. We will discuss these in small groups."

I'm really wondering if I should apply my profanity filter to the left side of the page, or not.

Oh - and for the benefit of anyone who googles up images like this one and downloads GPS coordinates out of them, looking for houses that are sure to be empty - my house is NOT empty while I'm gone. My wife and teenage sons are home (the older one's 18) and all of them are quite competent at handling my shotguns.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:18 PM   #22
Ban Pending
HBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
HBMurphy's Tacoma Gallery
Stay cool. Keep a wet bandana on your head.

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenda...+USCA0286:1:US
Old 06-01-2013, 08:31 PM   #23
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
I was re-reading John Steinbeck's "Travels With Charley"

He talks about the power of letting a trip develop its own itinerary - not rigidly following a pre-planned line on a map.

That struck a chord with me. That and the fact that you guys have re-emphasized the well known fact that June/July/August is pretty much the worst time to visit Death Valley. So while I do want to travel those roads in Death Valley - and also the Goler Canyon Road route - I probably won't do that on this trip, and will make a special trip to visit them some spring or fall.

So I'll stuff my truck with maps, and then start out roughly on the route I outlined - but then I'll just start seeing where my feet carry me.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:36 PM   #24
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Had a LOT of very enjoyable Saturdays on the motorcycle where I'd head out a ways, come to a crossroads, and ask myself "Wonder where this road goes?"

Had the GPS for getting home, but never used it on the way out.
Also had a few group rides that we called "Get fucking lost".
At each crossroads, the leader would pick a random direction. He would then fall back to the tail and the next rider in line picked the way to turn at the next junction.
Sometimes you end up at the end of a 20-mile dead-end, other times you find a sweet set of "twisties" up into a canyon nobody talks about.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:36 PM   #25
Mega Member
Anteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard:
Name: Andrew
Anteupp's Tacoma Gallery
well fuck me sounds like an awesome trip!.... the desert is one unforgiving motherfucker right now paired with this heat. Its a killer for sure, stay safe out their!
Old 06-01-2013, 08:49 PM   #26
Ban Pending
HBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
I was re-reading John Steinbeck's "Travels With Charley"

He talks about the power of letting a trip develop its own itinerary - not rigidly following a pre-planned line on a map.

That struck a chord with me. That and the fact that you guys have re-emphasized the well known fact that June/July/August is pretty much the worst time to visit Death Valley. So while I do want to travel those roads in Death Valley - and also the Goler Canyon Road route - I probably won't do that on this trip, and will make a special trip to visit them some spring or fall.

So I'll stuff my truck with maps, and then start out roughly on the route I outlined - but then I'll just start seeing where my feet carry me.
When the weather is 'right' it doesn't take much for some of us regulars to DV to get us to go. Hit us up.

Otherwise, Big Bear has a lot of fun stuff and so does the Sierras. Have a fun trip!
Old 06-01-2013, 09:08 PM   #27
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
You'll never be alone with all those crazy S.O.B.'s running around in yer head

But hit us up in SD when ya get here if ya want
Old 06-01-2013, 09:24 PM   #28
Ban Pending

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WD View Post
lol
Old 06-01-2013, 09:36 PM   #29
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WD View Post
National Rideshare week.
The next week, we had to fill out a form indicating how we got to and from work, and how many people ride with us.

HR lady was not amused when I asked if I should count the voices.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:06 PM   #30
jeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BM3 1st Div.
Name: Jeff
jeff b's Tacoma Gallery
@

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Fresh air? Yes.
Peace? No way.

That place is as crowded as Disneyland. Unless you intend to spend a night backpacking on the mountain, you're never going to be more than 50ft from another person.
True and true. I've just always had a good time in that area and own a small condo in South PS. I'll be following this for some future ideas, have fun.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:10 PM   #31
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
National Rideshare week.
The next week, we had to fill out a form indicating how we got to and from work, and how many people ride with us.

Hahaha, just saw this rich, funny shit .....
Old 06-03-2013, 08:43 PM   #32
Bullwinkle J. Moose

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
National Rideshare week.

Some folks just have *no* sense of humour.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:44 PM   #33
Bullwinkle J. Moose

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
What are some good 2m and/or 440 repeaters I should program into my HAM transciever this week for that desert area and the eastern sierra foothills?
Old 06-04-2013, 10:01 AM   #34
Ban Pending

Good place to start...
http://www.snars.org/
Old 06-04-2013, 08:43 PM   #36
Bullwinkle J. Moose

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crom View Post
For your smart phone, "repeater book" is a good app for finding local repeaters to your location.
Does it work in the absence of data connectivity? If I've got cellular, I'm unlikely to need 2m to request assistance.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:42 PM   #37
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. Sir
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
Does it work in the absence of data connectivity? If I've got cellular, I'm unlikely to need 2m to request assistance.
yes. it's wonderful for that reason, but also because it includes any PL tones and offsets that are necessary to use the repeater. it also will tell you the distance you are from the machine. And it's free.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:46 AM   #38
Ban Pending

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crom View Post
yes. it's wonderful for that reason, but also because it includes any PL tones and offsets that are necessary to use the repeater. it also will tell you the distance you are from the machine. And it's free.
Nice!
Old 06-05-2013, 01:45 AM   #39
whitetacoma89 has a spectacular aura aboutwhitetacoma89 has a spectacular aura about

whitetacoma89's Tacoma Gallery
PCH all the way!
Old 06-05-2013, 09:37 AM   #40
Ban Pending

I personally would leave the PCH only for a sports car or motorcycle - preferably with a beautiful partner and a fluffy dog.