Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Help me plan a *lonely* trip through the SoCal desert

Old 06-05-2013, 10:38 AM   #41
Mega Member
Anteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard:
Name: Andrew
Anteupp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crom View Post
For your smart phone, "repeater book" is a good app for finding local repeaters to your location.
that is awesome thanks for sharing.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:16 PM   #42
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBMurphy View Post
We better see the stapler in the pictures or it didn't happen.
Well, it's not exactly a stapler but:

and the following, from just outside Cleveland National Forest:

I'm not a prolific picture taker, but I've got a few more I'll post up tomorrow or the next day.

My original plan was insanely ambitious. No way I could have driven that route in just two and a half days. I got to my original proposed "friday" campsite spot Saturday around 3 or 4 in the afternoon, having skipped Anzo.

Because of where I started out in San Diego, ended up going thru Cleveland Natl Forest instead of Anzo (I could have Easted on 78, but I Northed on 79)

Highlights:

lonely 4x4 roads thru East Cleveland National Forest and BLM lands (camped early enough to set up camp and make dinner before dark)

Joshua Tree National Park (via mostly 4x4 roads)

Eastern Desert (via paved roads hwy 62 hwy 242 29 palms area)

9 mile canyon road/kennedy meadow road/sherman pass rd/great western divide hwy/CA 190 through southern sierra nevada. That's a very scenic route (pretty much all paved, but I bookmarked a gnarly 4x4 jeep road to come back to on another day)

Oh, and the Bald Mountain fire tower overlook is awesome, too.

Thanks for your help in planning, guys.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:20 PM   #43
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Oh, and "Palm Desert" has to be the most incongruous spot on the planet.

You approach it from via hwy 74 and coming thru a desert that probably has a net rainfall of one quart per acre per year. Then suddenly you see this green golf course and these mansions with kentucky bluegrass. It's like a thirst-driven hallucination, but real.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:02 PM   #44
Bullwinkle J. Moose

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Rest of the pix.

Sunset at Cleveland National Forest

Pinkham road is very approachable. The sand is fairly soft, so bring a compressor so you can air down. You could do it in a stock pre-runner I'm pretty sure, though it's a bit sandy and it would be possible to get a pre runner stuck if you stopped at exactly the wrong spot. Mostly it's remote so you wanna be sure and bring plenty of spares and water in case of the unexpected.

Access to this mine is a little tougher.

I love the desert.

The old dale route is more remote and more difficult. Bring water, supplies, and spares. Pre-runners definitely come in pairs and bring recovery gear. I can imagine a stock 4x4 needing to take a tug on a strap if they picked a bad line. I picked up and hauled out as litter some plastic splash pans that the rocks tore off the bottom of some stock SUVs. Also, navigating is tougher than the map on the pic would suggest - there's a rat nest of BLM 4x4 roads in there once you get out of the park proper, so having a more detailed map is a good idea. Sorry, I didn't take any pix of the more challenging parts of the road. Let's call it a "blue square" "more difficult" run, but with less tolerance than usual for error because of its remote nature. The Ranger shared a good story about a less-than-prepared driver who went in, got stuck, didn't have enough water, and walked out 15 miles. He was in quite a state when they picked him up.

Looks inviting, no? Whenever I see a view like that it's always: "where does that road lead?"

Hwy 190 thru sequoia natl forest - this canyon's very dramatic:
Old 09-30-2013, 04:14 AM   #45
RileySB
rileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Gen
rileySB's Tacoma Gallery
awesome pics! Looks like you had a good time. The nine mile canyon rd/sherman pass rd/kernville route is so scenic and desolate all at the same time. I too would love to try Sherman Pass 4x4 road and the one out in Monache Meadows but haven't had the time. Thanks for sharing!