Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Driving in Sand - First time, need tips

Old 05-15-2013, 07:54 AM   #1
Raucey is on a distinguished road
Raucey's Tacoma Gallery
Driving in Sand - First time, need tips

I just bought a 2013 TRD Sport and plan to take it to the OBX a few times a year. I've driven in sand before but this is the first time when I own the vehicle (this is also my first Tacoma/truck).
I know about airing down and the basics of driving in soft/hard sand. Other than that, I'm pretty much a newbie.

Does anyone have any additional tips for prepping the truck, driving and/or cleaning it after use on the beach?

Also, is it 100% necessary to add the undercoating (that the dealer was INSISTING on) with the amount I'd be using it (less than 10x yearly)?

Thanks so much for your help! Sorry if this has been covered already
Old 05-15-2013, 07:57 AM   #2
Slamry
1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
1337Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I normally air down to around 8psi. Don't stop your momentum unless you are on a downward slope (if you are 2wd). If you are 4wd you are pretty safe unless the sand is very soft.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:22 AM   #3
ghostrid3r is on a distinguished road
ghostrid3r's Tacoma Gallery
Oregon Inlet is permit access only now and you will need to air-down, so unless you don't mind dropping about $80 for a 3-day pass a cheaper option would be Corolla Beach up north. Sand there is packed and doesn't require airing down or a permit to drive on the beach.

As stated previously... Momentum is your friend, don't be a douche and drive like an ass like some out of state visitors tend to do. As far as recovery devices go, having a tow/snatch, shovel, maxtraxx type of device, hi lift, etc... is always nice to have just in case.

Have a great time, I'll be joining you next week!
Old 05-15-2013, 09:27 AM   #4
Mrs. EL TACOROJO
SWB Chick is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWB Chick is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWB Chick is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWB Chick is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWB Chick is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWB Chick is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWB Chick is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWB Chick is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWB Chick is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWB Chick is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWB Chick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dawn
SWB Chick's Tacoma Gallery
^^ Yup...
Also, I see your new to the forum.. Here is the link for VA.. Not sure where abouts you are but... here yah go ..

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sou...ml#post6891144
Old 05-15-2013, 09:29 AM   #5
Senor Taco
Mademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
Mademan925's Tacoma Gallery
If your two drive, just try not to come to a complete stop. If your 4 wheel drive you should be fine. Just have fun.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:47 AM   #6
Raucey's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the replies. I do have a 4x4 and will be driving up in Corolla.

What sort of cleaning / preventative maintenance do you do after driving on the beach?
Old 05-15-2013, 10:39 AM   #7
ghostrid3r is on a distinguished road
ghostrid3r's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raucey View Post

What sort of cleaning / preventative maintenance do you do after driving on the beach?
Just leave a zero-carbon foot print (take out what you bring in) as there are no trash cans around any of the beaches. Oh, btw... if you see horses, don't mess with them or local ranger will come down on you hard.

Hose down your truck ASAP once you're off the beach as the sand can and will clog your engine parts and cause damage if not dealt with, the salt water will corrode your undercarriage also. There's a boating yacht parking lot across Oregon Inlet entrance road that has air and water hoses you can air up and wash off the sand after you're done.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:47 AM   #8
Monkey Sweat
Bubbarr is on a distinguished road

Marines: Sgt
Name: Duane
Bubbarr's Tacoma Gallery
What i learned is that if you are in soft sand do not be in Drive. Shift down to 2nd gear and or 3rd gear. If you ride around in 2nd, you will have all the power you need. If you stay in Drive, and start to spin, you truck will start to shift on its own and you will bog and not be able to get up the hill or get stuck. Believe me, this helps. If you stay in 2nd you will be amazed how much better your truck handles.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:00 AM   #9
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-builds/29
Redgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brent
Redgrom's Tacoma Gallery
To out and get a cheap sprinkler and stick it under the truck after you get back. Just move it from the front to the back and you should be good. Sand likes to find places to hide so try using gust the hose in the wheel wells and by both bumpers. Have not been to the obx in years but did grow up in the area. Just make sure to start in 4x4 and speed is your friend! ( within reason as the rangers will write speeding tickets if your unsafe). Sucks to hear they charge to drive on the beach now.. So many empty waves were accessible by 4x4! I kind of miss the open beach breaks.
Have fun!
Edit: I would advise against even trying 2wd. The east coast sand is quite a bit different than we have out here so unless things have changed I wouldn't even think about it. Long ago I use to accept donations for pulling out stuck tourists. Was a great way to pay for gas!
Old 05-15-2013, 11:31 AM   #10
Raucey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrid3r View Post
Just leave a zero-carbon foot print (take out what you bring in) as there are no trash cans around any of the beaches. Oh, btw... if you see horses, don't mess with them or local ranger will come down on you hard.
That's a good tip for everyone! I have spent many, many years on the beaches in OBX and NEVER leave trash - I wish others were as careful.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:32 AM   #11
Raucey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redgrom View Post
To out and get a cheep sprinkler and stick it under the truck after you get back. Just move it from the front to the back and you should be good. Sand likes to find places to hide so try using gust the hose in the wheel wells and by both bumpers.
I hadn't thought of that but will certainly try it - thank you
Old 05-15-2013, 11:33 AM   #12
Raucey's Tacoma Gallery
Does anyone have comments on getting the undercoating?
Old 05-15-2013, 11:36 AM   #13
AKA ::1
127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 12th TIS
127.0.0.1's Tacoma Gallery
sand

a) make sure you have access to gasoline

sand sucks mpg to single digits if all you are doing is plowing around in it

beach prob won't matter, desert dunes will matter

and

b) a compressor to air up the tires

c) tire pressure gauge

d) let air out of tires a ton, like 12-8 psi left.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:39 AM   #14
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-builds/29
Redgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brent
Redgrom's Tacoma Gallery
Probably a good idea but make sure it's clean first. If your going to drive on the beach or in the snow it's better safe than sorry I'd say.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:04 PM   #15
surfnsteve is on a distinguished road

Name: Steve
surfnsteve's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

After each day I give it just a regular hose rinse-down, like ghostrid3r says. I also do a full rinse down at a power-wash station after each trip. I make sure to hit all of the openings in the frame until the drain holes stop spitting sand. The skid plate and spare tire hold bigger things like shells, rocks, etc. - hit those for a bit too. Occasionally, I will spray the "wax" coating on the under-carriage to prevent more things from sticking.

If you are looking at undercoating, make sure you are careful, or the shop you take it to is careful. I've heard this a thousand times: "All it takes is one grain of wet sand to corrode a hole you can't see behind that undercoat." I don't know how much of an issue you might actually get, but take any advice with a grain of salt, or in this case sand.

Some of the required gear list from my nearest beach (Assateague Island) is:
- A shovel with a blade at least 6" square and at least 18" long.
- A vehicle jack sufficient to lift one wheel clear of the sand.
- A jack support that is at least 12"x12" of non-bending steel, 5/8" plywood or 1˝" hardwood.
- A tire gauge with a minimum reading of 15 pounds or less. (I use tire buddies to air down quickly)
- A tow rope or tow strap, chain or cable with a minimum pulling strength of 6,000 pounds and at least 10 feet long.

I carry WD-40 to spray on any engine parts that might get wet with saltwater, and a couple of 4' long 2x6 boards for traction too.

See ya on the beach.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:26 PM   #16
Raucey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfnsteve View Post
Some of the required gear list from my nearest beach (Assateague Island) is:
- A shovel with a blade at least 6" square and at least 18" long.
- A vehicle jack sufficient to lift one wheel clear of the sand.
- A jack support that is at least 12"x12" of non-bending steel, 5/8" plywood or 1˝" hardwood.
- A tire gauge with a minimum reading of 15 pounds or less. (I use tire buddies to air down quickly)
- A tow rope or tow strap, chain or cable with a minimum pulling strength of 6,000 pounds and at least 10 feet long.

I carry WD-40 to spray on any engine parts that might get wet with saltwater, and a couple of 4' long 2x6 boards for traction too.
Ahh, that's a really helpful checklist - thank you. Nice avatar BTW.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:36 PM   #17
The Red Bull
BassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Aviation Electronics Tech
Name: Dylan
BassAckwardsDyl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I just bought a 2013 TRD Sport and plan to take it to the OBX a few times a year. I've driven in sand before but this is the first time when I own the vehicle (this is also my first Tacoma/truck).
I know about airing down and the basics of driving in soft/hard sand. Other than that, I'm pretty much a newbie.

Does anyone have any additional tips for prepping the truck, driving and/or cleaning it after use on the beach?

Also, is it 100% necessary to add the undercoating (that the dealer was INSISTING on) with the amount I'd be using it (less than 10x yearly)?

Thanks so much for your help! Sorry if this has been covered already
I bought my 07 when i was up there. It is 4x4 and had stock tires when i was there... I never aired down. I did keep a tire gauge to airdown if needed. When you are done playing, just hit the underneath real well with a hose and make sure you get all inside hard to get areas, then throw fluid film all over the underneath.

Edit: That was also driving on Oregon Inlet on 30ish psi
Old 05-15-2013, 01:39 PM   #18
The Red Bull
BassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Aviation Electronics Tech
Name: Dylan
BassAckwardsDyl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbarr View Post
What i learned is that if you are in soft sand do not be in Drive. Shift down to 2nd gear and or 3rd gear. If you ride around in 2nd, you will have all the power you need. If you stay in Drive, and start to spin, you truck will start to shift on its own and you will bog and not be able to get up the hill or get stuck. Believe me, this helps. If you stay in 2nd you will be amazed how much better your truck handles.
agreed... same goes for mud too,
Old 05-15-2013, 01:42 PM   #19
surfnsteve is on a distinguished road

Name: Steve
surfnsteve's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ahh, that's a really helpful checklist - thank you. Nice avatar BTW.
You are welcome ...and thanks!

Bump.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:35 PM   #20
Hotrodroxie is on a distinguished road
Hotrodroxie's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Hotrodroxie
I'm not readn all that crap..but-YES! RINSE RINSE AND RINSE AGAIN! power spray in every frame hole u see, wheel wells...under hood, everywhere! My dbl 08 4x4 pulled full size chevys stuck in the sand many times in 4x4...I never bothered to air dwn. u will hav NO probs crusin beach SLOW in 4x4 if ur worried. study the proper way to use ur lower gears/lockn diff/4x4 and use it, thats what we paid all tht extra $ for ALWAYS have jumper cables, and a 2 long tow straps on you at the beach...you'll likely make some $ pullin dummies out.
I made it through a few beach visits and living 5 miles from it in TX, and my first 2 snowy Ohio winters here with NO salt protection and I don't have a bit of rust yet...I just rinse the hell outta my truck immediately afterwards till it all runs clear.
This year though 4 snow/salt, I'm prolly gonna get some sorta rhino style undercoating to b safe....depending on what I read on here...otherwise I guess you 'oil spray' it (u can use dirty old oil) and they go play on a dirt road so it all cakes up n dries on there making a nice coating to get you through winter