Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Advice Wanted: Lift and Tires

Old 05-20-2013, 10:10 AM   #1
Frogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: On EOS duty
Name: Chris
Frogsauce's Tacoma Gallery
Advice Wanted: Lift and Tires

Hey everyone, new member here looking for some advice on my (currently stock) 09 TRD. I'm just a hunter who seems to have to go deeper and deeper in the mountains to find peace and quiet anymore.

Recently, while scouting some land, I got caught in a downpour and was stuck in about a 2 foot deep mud slide going downhill with no option to turn around. Now, I've been stuck plenty of times enough to know how to wiggle and slide my way out of some spots. But this one had me working at it for a while.

I learned a few things. One, don't leave home without the come-along.

Two, don't wait to get new tires... I was thinking of buying a set of Firestone Destination's since I also drive on the interstate. Anyone got experience running these?

And last, I need to put about 2" of lift on this thing. I read on here that Bilstein 5100s are good on the front. But not sure what to put on the back. I've read advice for leafs, but not sure if that's needed for what I'm doing. Any suggestions, brands, etc?

Remember, not looking to climb to the moon, but don't want to get into a sticky situation again either.

Thanks for any info guys.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:55 PM   #2
Dan
YotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
YotaDan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogsauce View Post
Hey everyone, new member here looking for some advice on my (currently stock) 09 TRD. I'm just a hunter who seems to have to go deeper and deeper in the mountains to find peace and quiet anymore.

Recently, while scouting some land, I got caught in a downpour and was stuck in about a 2 foot deep mud slide going downhill with no option to turn around. Now, I've been stuck plenty of times enough to know how to wiggle and slide my way out of some spots. But this one had me working at it for a while.

I learned a few things. One, don't leave home without the come-along.

Two, don't wait to get new tires... I was thinking of buying a set of Firestone Destination's since I also drive on the interstate. Anyone got experience running these?

And last, I need to put about 2" of lift on this thing. I read on here that Bilstein 5100s are good on the front. But not sure what to put on the back. I've read advice for leafs, but not sure if that's needed for what I'm doing. Any suggestions, brands, etc?

Remember, not looking to climb to the moon, but don't want to get into a sticky situation again either.

Thanks for any info guys.
For a mild, but good riding setup, you are on the right track. A set of Bilstein 5100s front and rear. Set the fronts at 1.75", and out back match that with our 3 leaf add-a-leaf setup.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:39 PM   #3
otis24 is a splendid one to beholdotis24 is a splendid one to beholdotis24 is a splendid one to beholdotis24 is a splendid one to beholdotis24 is a splendid one to beholdotis24 is a splendid one to beholdotis24 is a splendid one to behold

otis24's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 1st gen, but the 5100's on front and an add a leaf in back gave me just enough lift. Any higher and I'd have to do more upgrades to the suspension etc. It still handles well on the road while giving me ample ground clearance off road.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:55 PM   #4
otis24 is a splendid one to beholdotis24 is a splendid one to beholdotis24 is a splendid one to beholdotis24 is a splendid one to beholdotis24 is a splendid one to beholdotis24 is a splendid one to beholdotis24 is a splendid one to behold

otis24's Tacoma Gallery
One more thing...I got all my stuff from Wheelers off road...fast shipping and good prices.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:02 PM   #5
Mr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hermmy
Mr Salty's Tacoma Gallery
Downsouth Motorsports for Bilstiens.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:13 AM   #6
Mammoth Neel is on a distinguished road
Navy: 'Merican
Name: Dylan
Mammoth Neel's Tacoma Gallery
Did you mean this http://wheelersoffroad.com/product/a...dd-a-leaf-kit/ for the rear?
Old 08-26-2013, 01:30 PM   #7
muddyt4r is on a distinguished road
Name: Nathan
muddyt4r's Tacoma Gallery
As far as tires, I DO have a recommendation. It may sound cheap/cheesy, but I run Wild Country XTX A/Ts on my first gen. They're a less expensive tire, but they do really good on AND off road; 50,000 mile treadwear warranty too. 5k on them so far, and I've been quite impressed. No road noise at any speed. I HAVE had them stuck, but in a hole made by a fullsize on 35s.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:35 PM   #8
hurley842002 has a spectacular aura abouthurley842002 has a spectacular aura abouthurley842002 has a spectacular aura about

Law Enforcement:
Name: Dan
hurley842002's Tacoma Gallery
Is it a Sport or Off road? Best mods in my opinion for your needs, would be good tires a rear locker, and a winch. I'd prioritize those three items. If you have the Off road, the most expensive one is already taken care of.
Old 08-27-2013, 04:55 PM   #9
Pearcem87 will become famous soon enough
Marines:
Pearcem87's Tacoma Gallery
I have Cooper AT-3s on my truck. They are a pretty good AT tire, and fairly inexpensive. One of the main reasons I got them was that they were one of the only ATs I could find in my area in the size I wanted in P Metric. They have handled well off road, especially in the mud, and they seem to be pretty good on the 6-8 hours of interstate I have driven. Just a little louder than the stock, and just a tiny bit of drift, but both of those have noticeably decreased as the tires have broken in a bit.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:42 PM   #10
Total Automotive Performance
Chas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Chas
Chas of MRT's Tacoma Gallery
Go for the Bilstein 5100s, most people who call us go that route and love it.

I like my toyo AT2 tires and would recommend them as a high quality AT