LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

what would you choose for an off-road rig?

View Poll Results: which one?
4 runner 241 20.22%
1st gen tacoma 538 45.13%
cherokee 102 8.56%
other 311 26.09%
Voters: 1192. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-21-2009, 06:22 PM   #1
RoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shed
RoyB's Tacoma Gallery
what would you choose for an off-road rig?

Tossing the idea around. not many trails here so I wouldn't want to dump too much into one. under 5K for the rig and a couple thousand for a lift and tires.

I Was thinking
-Older cherokee, classic style
-older 4 runner
- older tacoma- first gen prolly.

Cherokees seem to be super cheap for a decent 90s model. It's pretty hard to find any cheap first gen tacomas. I like the suv idea because I can use it for other stuff if I had to. I already have a truck...don't see the point in having 2 trucks. It would be pretty cool if I could tow it to the trail in the tacoma incase I broke something as well.

Any other suggestions? I don't want a wrangler because they are too small. I've seen a couple older toyotas that look like jeeps and they are pretty cool. I imagine price would be high on them though.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:11 PM   #2
hell yes i love my truck
MsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Samantha
MsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
i chose a 4runner because that's what I have...
Old 02-21-2009, 07:13 PM   #3
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
i usually wheel with some SERIOUS XJs (cherokees)

if i was to be building a trail rig (other than my current taco)

id buy in the following order

95-04 tacoma (possibly wrecked or high mileage)
older toyota truck
xj
Old 02-21-2009, 07:13 PM   #4
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Unimog, M-37, or FJ80.......In that order
Old 02-21-2009, 07:14 PM   #5
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ill try and dig up some pics of some of the xjs i wheel with
Old 02-21-2009, 07:31 PM   #6
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

Old 02-21-2009, 07:32 PM   #7
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

all of them have been flopped or rolled multiple times and the white one is now a full tube chassis with shortened wheelbase
Old 02-21-2009, 07:32 PM   #8
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsTrd View Post
i chose a 4runner because that's what I have...
I could have sworn that was a Taco in your pic!?!?
Old 02-21-2009, 07:39 PM   #9
RoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shed
RoyB's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Unimog, M-37, or FJ80.......In that order
can you get those for under 5K?
Old 02-21-2009, 07:40 PM   #10
RoyB's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
all of them have been flopped or rolled multiple times and the white one is now a full tube chassis with shortened wheelbase
those things look pretty sweet.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:41 PM   #11
hell yes i love my truck
MsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Samantha
MsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WW_FIREFIGHTER View Post
I could have sworn that was a Taco in your pic!?!?
it is...but i have a 4runner too
Old 02-21-2009, 07:47 PM   #12
RoyB's Tacoma Gallery
i had a 2001 4 runner. pretty cool vehicle.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:53 PM   #13
higherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
higherlux's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to higherlux
if i were you id go with a 79-85 toyota pickup swb(perfer 85 first year with fuel injection)
for the following reasons
1. verry cheap 3000 and below for a "well" used one
2. already has a solid front axle
3. easy to work on
4. easy and cheap to lift or modify
5. the 22R is a verry relyable motor
6. they are very capable in stock form

(btw one of those will be my next vehicle)
Old 02-21-2009, 07:58 PM   #14
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsTrd View Post
it is...but i have a 4runner too
Oh okay copy that!
Old 02-21-2009, 08:11 PM   #15
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Of your choices listed I'd say an older 4runner or Tacoma would be my choice if you found one SASed. The cherokees are ok rigs but im not the biggest unibody jeep fan. Hard to stuff larger tires on those small cherokees too. If you want a jeep, look for an early TJ(wrangler), 1997+ as you can somtimes find those at pretty reasonable prices and with a 4" lift and lockers it would be pretty capable. The '85 'Yota would be my #1 pick as they are usually quite cheap and you can probably find one already trail modified that only needs some work and not a lot of work.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:12 PM   #16
Wrath of the runbird
Bakemono is on a distinguished road

Bakemono's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Bakemono
Id go with an old solid front axle Hilux or 4Runner. They are kinda hard to find, but for lifting and offroading they are the best setup.
IFS is OK, but you run into more problems when you want to lift them and solid front axle is a stronger setup.
Back when I was in highschool I had an '85 4Runner SR5 with a 22R-E engine and 5-speed manual tranny (had A/C and power windows too) and that thing was a beast.
Body rust was an issue on those, but the driveline is aboslutely bulletproof and you can lift them as high as you want pretty easily.
Just make sure its an '85. In '86 they switched to IFS. If memory serves me correctly, some of the early build in the '86 model year were SFA, but halfway through the model year they switched over to IFS because everyone complained about the rough ride of SFA.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:14 PM   #17
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyB View Post
can you get those for under 5K?
Yes. I got my M-37 for 1k, saw an Unimog in the local paper for $5000.00, and a buddy of mine was selling his FJ80 for $4800.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:23 PM   #18
higherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
higherlux's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to higherlux
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakemono View Post
If memory serves me correctly, some of the early build in the '86 model year were SFA, but halfway through the model year they switched over to IFS because everyone complained about the rough ride of SFA.
^^ not true they started makeing the ifs trucks in september of 85
my dad has a 86 model truck with ifs that was made in 85
Old 02-21-2009, 08:33 PM   #19
RoyB's Tacoma Gallery
ill have to check some of these vehicles out. is a manual preferred for offroading? what is common to replace on a manual?
Old 02-21-2009, 08:47 PM   #20
Wrath of the runbird
Bakemono is on a distinguished road

Bakemono's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Bakemono
Quote:
Originally Posted by higherlux View Post
^^ not true they started makeing the ifs trucks in september of 85
my dad has a 86 model truck with ifs that was made in 85
The trucks and 4Runners are different though. Changes in suspension and engines typically came to the trucks before the 4Runners.