LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Smittybuilt receiver hitch D-ring shackle... too loose?

Old 05-29-2013, 01:05 PM   #1
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Smittybuilt receiver hitch D-ring shackle... too loose?

I just bought this and made sure it fit in the parking lot (lots of reviews say it's too large to fit in a 2" receiver).

But now that I'm messing with it, it seems like it is way too loose. Aside from the nuisance this thing will make with noise when on a trail, is this even safe for recovery?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oj_jEwDRSYI
Old 05-29-2013, 01:13 PM   #2
MTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Weesa
MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
very strange....are you sure your hitch is 2"? and the shackle is 2"? or is it 1-1/4"?

I bought the Smittybuilt as well and had to take an angle grinder to it to get it to fit in the 2" receiver.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:13 PM   #3
spark4 is on a distinguished road
spark4's Tacoma Gallery
Dang. Thanks pretty loose. I have a smittybilt d-ring receiver that I bought a couple years ago from 4wheelparts. Mine was kinda loose, but not that much. I ended up buying some adhesive backed velcro from home depot and sticking some strips of the fuzzy side only, on each face of the d-ring receiver. It made it fit well and eliminated the rattling noise from being kinda loose. It'll probably eliminate the noise for you but I dunno if i'd be happy with it having that much tolerance.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:18 PM   #4
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTgirl View Post
very strange....are you sure your hitch is 2"? and the shackle is 2"? or is it 1-1/4"?

I bought the Smittybuilt as well and had to take an angle grinder to it to get it to fit in the 2" receiver.
I measured the ID of my hitch receiver and it's 2 1/16"

I measured the dimensions of the smittybuilt and it's 1 7/8" square.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spark4 View Post
Dang. Thanks pretty loose. I have a smittybilt d-ring receiver that I bought a couple years ago from 4wheelparts. Mine was kinda loose, but not that much. I ended up buying some adhesive backed velcro from home depot and sticking some strips of the fuzzy side only, on each face of the d-ring receiver. It made it fit well and eliminated the rattling noise from being kinda loose. It'll probably eliminate the noise for you but I dunno if i'd be happy with it having that much tolerance.
I was thinking about doing that, but then said F'it... this thing should be closer to snug than this.

Right?
Old 05-29-2013, 01:52 PM   #5
MTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Weesa
MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe they finally got tired of people complaining that the shackle was too big to fit in a 2" receiver so they made it smaller
Old 05-29-2013, 01:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTgirl View Post
Maybe they finally got tired of people complaining that the shackle was too big to fit in a 2" receiver so they made it smaller

Honestly that was my first thought after, "wtf?"
Old 05-29-2013, 02:14 PM   #7
obscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud of
obscurotron's Tacoma Gallery
My WARN isn't nearly that loose. It has some play in it, but less than half of what you have with that SB.

I'd send it back and get a WARN if it was my truck.
Old 05-30-2013, 05:40 AM   #8
jds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
jds0912's Tacoma Gallery
Damn. Mine is not nearly that loose. A proper fitting one works well though; I tugged my brother's jeep off a ledge this weekend after he blew a transfer case hose.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:13 AM   #9
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jds0912 View Post
Damn. Mine is not nearly that loose. A proper fitting one works well though; I tugged my brother's jeep off a ledge this weekend after he blew a transfer case hose.
x2, I'd sent it back, that is not a good fit for a hard recovery and it'll drive you nuts rattling around back there.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:45 AM   #10

Went back to the store and showed them. Guy said he's never seen anything like that with the Smittybuilts. He grabbed a Warn one, was just as loose... maybe looser.

Grabbed all the Smittybuilt ones handing on the rack and they all varied slightly in dimensions (there's that manufacturing tolerance everyone complains about). I exchanged mine for the largest Smittybuilt one we tried.

Still loose but not nearly as bad as the original one.