Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Baja Beach Weekend May 2013

Old 05-31-2013, 04:30 PM   #1
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Baja Beach Weekend May 2013

For the three day Memorial Weekend, it was a return to our favorite beach in Baja California... one I call 'Shell island'. It is a barrier island, 4.5 miles long and surrounded by sea water during high lunar tides. The access is a muddy trail, that can be several inches covered a few day each month.

4WD LOW and A-TRAC makes crossing the mud a breeze, but we did go sideways at one point, requiring some quick counter-steering (VSC is inactive in low range)!

Shell Island is located about 20 miles south of San Felipe, on the Gulf of California (also called the Sea of Cortez).

Here are some photos of the beach, Tacoma, and other things...

Deflating to 18 psi for deep sand flotation (Hankook Dynapro ATM)

The Baja Feeling!

Memorial Weekend on a crowded beach? No way, it's a Baja beach!

Saturday's Sundown

Moon rise

Sunday morning camp as I walk out at low tide.

The tide really goes up in the upper gulf... over 20 foot vertical change, and nearly a half mile away in distance!

Looking back to our camp.

Mine Mine Mine

Sun canopy up!

Going for a drive to look for shells.

Love my Tacoma!

Looking south down the island from our camp, when the tide came back in.

Monday Morning we go... bummer!

Off the beach and across the mud, I air up the tires for the 300 mile trip home.

One last look back towards Shell Island.

Until next time, adios!

Maps:

Our camp is about where that umbrella symbol is. There is no 'Castañeda', but that is the road to Rancho Percebu.
Old 05-31-2013, 05:20 PM   #2
Rainman998 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainman998 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainman998 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainman998 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainman998 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainman998 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainman998 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainman998 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainman998 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainman998 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainman998 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 0331/1391
Rainman998's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome looking trip
Old 06-01-2013, 05:29 PM   #3
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks... Baja is the best! Land of Boojum Trees, Beautiful Beaches, and Boulders signed in ancient times...

Old 06-12-2013, 10:08 PM   #4

David K's Tacoma Gallery
I am happy to take questions or help plan trips. Baja California deserves better PR!
Old 07-07-2013, 02:25 PM   #5
Rocketjfk is on a distinguished road
Rocketjfk's Tacoma Gallery
LOVE THE BAJA!!!! I wish I could drive there one day. Buena Vista! Great pics.

Old 07-07-2013, 10:00 PM   #6
1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
1911's Tacoma Gallery
Looks like a blast, and I thought we had a uncrowded beach on our OBX trip!

Tough life sitting in a couple of beach chairs sipping on a cerveza.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:56 PM   #7

David K's Tacoma Gallery
I hope to go back in a couple of months while the water is still warm. Got new tires to test in the sand as well.
Old 09-13-2013, 03:21 PM   #8

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Sadly, Labor Day 2013 was 'a wash' as a tropical storm dumped water on the desert around San Felipe, so that trip was canceled. One camping trip a year to Shell Island (or anywhere in Baja) is not enough!
Old 09-18-2013, 06:21 AM   #9
Rainman998 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainman998 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainman998 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainman998 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainman998 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainman998 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainman998 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainman998 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainman998 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainman998 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainman998 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 0331/1391
Rainman998's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome pics
Old 09-22-2013, 03:02 PM   #10
Darth is on a distinguished road
Marines:
Darth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
Sadly, Labor Day 2013 was 'a wash' as a tropical storm dumped water on the desert around San Felipe, so that trip was canceled. One camping trip a year to Shell Island (or anywhere in Baja) is not enough!
When is your next trip? I always wanted to do a baja trip but wanted to do it in a group ( for safety?) You ever do a group trip?
Old 09-23-2013, 02:05 PM   #11

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth View Post
When is your next trip? I always wanted to do a baja trip but wanted to do it in a group ( for safety?) You ever do a group trip?
Hi Darth,

I have done several runs in Baja... and one was posted here on TW: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tra...-part-1-a.html (part 1 of a 2 part photo trip report). TW member HB Murphy joined us Baja Nomads on that epic 2010 run!

Join http://BajaNomad.com forums to hear of others... Group runs are not real common, most of us Baja nuts like quiet camp trips... sometimes solo, sometimes with a friend or two. Several Baja Nomads are also members here on TW... The Tacoma is (afterall) the best Baja vehicle!