Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

How far would you go with a RWD?

Old 06-03-2013, 12:40 PM   #1
ChrisGralnic is on a distinguished road
Name: Chris
ChrisGralnic's Tacoma Gallery
How far would you go with a RWD?

How far would you go with a Prerunner with TRD Suspension and no LSD? What kind of trail thrashing would you do? Would you ever off road alone? I'd like to do some heavy trailing but always afraid my truck is not capable. My truck has about 2 inches of lift and bilstein 5100 shocks.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:44 PM   #2
Boone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Boone Taco's Tacoma Gallery
129-131 Feet. Fast. No. 4WD> 2WD.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:47 PM   #3
Mall Crawler
MrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Dean'o
Location: Wisconsin, Hawaii, California, North Carolina...everywhere
MrGrimm's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisGralnic View Post
How far would you go with a Prerunner with TRD Suspension and no LSD? What kind of trail thrashing would you do? Would you ever off road alone? I'd like to do some heavy trailing but always afraid my truck is not capable. My truck has about 2 inches of lift and bilstein 5100 shocks.
It all depends on the trail you intend to tackle. On a difficult trail where 4x4, 33 inch tires and atleast 1 locker is necessary, you wouldnt be able to get far SAFELY.

Your vehicle would likely sustain alot of damage attempting trails that your vehicle does not meet the minimum requirements to complete.

It is never a good idea to off-road alone, especially in a vehicle that is not ready to handle that terrain.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:48 PM   #4
Mega Member
Anteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard:
Name: Andrew
Anteupp's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't go alone, just go places where you feel comfortable and know the terrain. sand washes and dunes are fun in an aired down 2wd. Forest service roads rarely need 4x4 other than in rain/snow.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:49 PM   #5
Mega Member
Anteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard:
Anteupp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGrimm View Post
It all depends on the trail you intend to tackle. On a difficult trail where 4x4, 33 inch tires and atleast 1 locker is necessary, you wouldnt be able to get far SAFELY.

Your vehicle would likely sustain alot of damage attempting trails that your vehicle does not meet the minimum requirements to complete.

It is never a good idea to off-road alone, especially in a vehicle that is not ready to handle that terrain.

Old 06-03-2013, 12:54 PM   #6
AKA ::1
127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 12th TIS
127.0.0.1's Tacoma Gallery
depends on a lot of factors

moab ? with a 2wd LSD or AutoLSD, a ton of places. and also a ton of places NOT

one answer: NO WHERE without a moveable winch (front to back) and a monster
set of 3 or more tuggin straps/recovery rope/high lift jack

I also would not climb gravel skidder roads in 2wd.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:57 PM   #7
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
As far as the nearest 4x4 for sale haha
Old 06-03-2013, 01:00 PM   #8
ChrisGralnic is on a distinguished road
ChrisGralnic's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like i just need to buy a 4wd. though i love drifting on dirt. I'll probably have one of each. Sliding around corners is just too much fun.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:03 PM   #9
Mega Member

Coast Guard:
Anteupp's Tacoma Gallery
just head out to the desert then, you'll love it. Socal chapter of TW always heads out on 2wd friendly runs.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:15 PM   #10
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisGralnic View Post
Sounds like i just need to buy a 4wd. though i love drifting on dirt. I'll probably have one of each. Sliding around corners is just too much fun.
a 4wd is a 2wd until you put it in 4wd. You can still slide around in rwd.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:48 PM   #11
BVCOTaco is on a distinguished road
BVCOTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzardsGottaEat View Post
a 4wd is a 2wd until you put it in 4wd. You can still slide around in rwd.
I was just about to point that out as well!
Old 06-03-2013, 02:53 PM   #12
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Till right before I got stuck

Never go full stuck
Old 06-06-2013, 11:24 AM   #13
Mickey is on a distinguished road

Name: Michael
Mickey's Tacoma Gallery
Post a useful generalisation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anteupp View Post
Forest service roads rarely need 4x4 other than in rain/snow.
THANKS - for that, Anteupp. That generalisation is Very useful for me, considering the gas-mileage penalty of 4wd vs. 2wd.

I can see myself on dirt roads in pursuit of scenery, but not rock-climbing off-roading.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:33 AM   #14
AKA ::1
127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 12th TIS
127.0.0.1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey View Post
THANKS - for that, Anteupp. That generalisation is Very useful for me, considering the gas-mileage penalty of 4wd vs. 2wd.

I can see myself on dirt roads in pursuit of scenery, but not rock-climbing off-roading.
the autoLSD on these tacomas is pretty damn efficient at
keeping you moving through some pretty slippy stuff...

-my 4runner doesn't have a rear lsd, in 2wd it gets stuck in a lot
of spots...so I swap to 4wd/awd

-my tacoma in 2wd can go through all those places my 4runner wouldn't
when I activate autoLSD. I am surprised how well 2wd and limited slip works.
it's magical
Old 06-06-2013, 11:46 AM   #16
curmudgeon
TimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Timmy
TimmyB's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzardsGottaEat View Post
As far as the nearest 4x4 for sale haha
Hah! That's what I was going to say
Old 06-06-2013, 11:50 AM   #17
Mickey is on a distinguished road

Name: Michael
Mickey's Tacoma Gallery
2WD LSD vs. 4wd guidelines

Quote:
Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
I am surprised how well 2wd and limited slip works.
it's magical
This is REALLY useful guidance for a newbee. Thank you - ALL. `sounds like I need to look into winches, too - for my next Alaska cruise. I just got back ... 12,030 miles (round-trip) in my Civic, which got my attention sometimes on broken roads and snow with half-tread all-seasons (which were worn down to 1 -3/32nds upon return).
Old 06-06-2013, 11:54 AM   #18
Just out for a rip are ya bud?
IDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
IDtrucks's Tacoma Gallery
too many factors to think of. it all depends on how extreme of off roading you want to go. If you think rock crawling is your thing, go find someone with a locked and armored truck on 35s and go for a ride with em. If you really liked it then you might need a 4x4. if go fast is your thing (as it is for many in cali) then go find a member with lt and take a ride with them. If you really enjoyed that then you have a good platform to start with, so start making your truck mid or long travel and have some fun in the dunes. With a locker and good tires aired down your truck can do a lot, it just depends on how hard you want to push it. also never go off roading alone. it can end up going very badly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey View Post
This is REALLY useful guidance for a newbee. Thank you - ALL. `sounds like I need to look into winches, too - for my next Alaska cruise. I just got back ... 12,030 miles (round-trip) in my Civic, which got my attention sometimes on broken roads and snow with half-tread all-seasons (which were worn down to 1 -3/32nds upon return).
shit, a fwd car will probably do better than your truck in snow. if we are talking about winter driving that is a whole different ball game. a rwd truck is the worst thing in snow.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:15 PM   #19
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Never go offroad alone!!!!

This reminds me of the days when I had my 1st gen and we took it to various offroading spots. A good wheelin friend had a little 4cylinder reg cab 98 tacoma.

Two words: No Fear.

Needless to say, his 2WD was used more than his 4WD (cough) and he used to thrash the livin shit outta that thing in both 2WD and 4WD. He was fun to watch. That truck took a beating and still managed to get him home everytime (2 hour drive).

I personally wouldn't recommend any of it!!!
Old 06-06-2013, 04:31 PM   #20
otis24 is a splendid one to beholdotis24 is a splendid one to beholdotis24 is a splendid one to beholdotis24 is a splendid one to beholdotis24 is a splendid one to beholdotis24 is a splendid one to beholdotis24 is a splendid one to behold

otis24's Tacoma Gallery
Start out on easier trails and work your way up to the more difficult trails.