1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

overlandexperts.com

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by abunch, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Jun 4, 2013 at 5:42 AM
    abunch

abunch [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Brooklyn
    Vehicle:
    04 Double Cab TRD
    icons, ucas, Deaver pack, DD, ARB, Warn 9k, 255-85 km2, rigid lights, yada, yada
    Being fairly new to wheeling I am considering taking a training course from overlandexperts.com. I have heard great reviews about the course. If I can get a group together the costs goes down a bit per person. Would anyone in the NE be interested in joining? The training area is in CT about two hours form NYC.

Costs vary depending how many people join. See here http://www.overlandexperts.com/recreational/training/off_road_driving_school.php

Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
  2. Jun 5, 2013 at 3:12 PM
    abunch

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Brooklyn
    Vehicle:
    04 Double Cab TRD
    icons, ucas, Deaver pack, DD, ARB, Warn 9k, 255-85 km2, rigid lights, yada, yada
    bump..

anyone interested? Looks like I am heading up July 1-3

3. Jun 10, 2013 at 9:15 AM
    Seer

Seer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Bayfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    13 Double Cab 4x4 stock
    If that doesn't pan out, here's another option: http://www.bb4wa.com/ Bill Burke really knows his shit when it comes to off-roading.

4. Jun 10, 2013 at 10:08 AM
    Box Rocket

Box Rocket Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Syracuse, Utah
    Vehicle:
    1995 FZJ80 Land Cruiser
    3xLocked, lifted, well used
    I'm sure you'll enjoy a formal course like that but if you don't mind a different opinion.....I think it's a complete waste of money. For basically no cost other than gas, you can get involved with a local off-road club and get more real world experience by going out with a local club on their trail runs.

5. Jun 10, 2013 at 10:38 AM
    Southern01Taco

Southern01Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Holden, La
    Vehicle:
    01 V6 4x4 Xtra Cab SR5
    X2. It looks like you already lightly wheel your truck, so personally, I don't think you would get much more out of a class like that. Like BoxRocket said, join a local club and hit the trails with them. You will get much more experience wheeling with people that do it often, plus you can throw the money you save into more things for your truck. But that is only my opinion. If you feel that you could gain alot from it, then do it.

6. Jun 10, 2013 at 11:50 AM
    Seer

Seer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Bayfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    13 Double Cab 4x4 stock
    Screw that! You've gone out and spent $30K plus on a vehicle and just go out and get "experience" with your local club? For every worthy wheeler, there are at least eight yayhoos who have no clue as to how to wheel other than hit the gas and bash their way through. How do you tell the difference? Judge it by the way they say, "Oops, sorry. That'll add some character to your truck," after they've tried to spot you over an obstacle.

A wheeling class -especially if you can find a true expert giving an advanced class- will not only get you farther up the trail than gassing and bashing, but will also get you there and back in one piece. That' includes you as well as your vehicle.

7. Jun 10, 2013 at 12:30 PM
    Box Rocket

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Syracuse, Utah
    Vehicle:
    1995 FZJ80 Land Cruiser
    Sorry but I disagree. I didn't say to go out wheeling with any random "yayhoos" like you describe. And if you can't tell the difference (in about 30 sec) between the ones who know what they're doing and the idiots who have no business being out there, then I dare say you should look for another hobby There are LOTS of 4wheeling clubs around the country. Research the ones local to you and go attend a couple of trail rides with them as a passenger first if you find one that has potential. That way you can start to figure out who you trust in the group, and what to expect. Then when you take your own vehicle you can ask the right people for help.

The problem with classes like that (other than the outrageous cost for extremely basic instruction) is that you have zero support once the class is finished. If you go out with a local club that you've researched and gained some level of comfort, then you have a built in support group of new friends who you can ask to go out on trails with you, and who will be there to get you through the hard stuff when you need it.

I don't care, how "awesome" the internet says Bill Burke (or any other offroad instructor) is. He's not going to show up to spot you up that technical spot in the trail when you go out on your own the first time after the class. He's not going to show up and winch your truck out of the middle of the river when you get stuck. And he's not going to show up and help you fix the broken CV, or plug a hole in a tire, or help you patch an oilpan in the middle of nowhere that got punctured by an unseen rock.

You know you will be there to help in all the situations? You local club guys. And they'll be happy to do it (for free I might add, since Bill Burke surely won't). They've all been there and know how important it is to have someone willing to help out.

So if you think you can get all the knowledge and experience you need from one of those classes, then by all means go spend your money. That's capitalism and I support it. But I will stand by my opinion that you'll be no better off, or only slightly better off if you're lucky when you complete the course. But your wallet will be a lot lighter and that's sure to get you over the next rock in the trail.

It's just my opinion so take it or leave it.

8. Jun 10, 2013 at 1:00 PM
    Seer

Seer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Bayfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    13 Double Cab 4x4 stock
    Have you ever experienced one of these classes? You're in those classes to learn and yes, Bill Burke will teach you what to and more importantly what not to do when spotting an obstacle, when winching yourself out of the middle of a river or needing to do an emergency fix. The biggest advantage is you become a better, safer driver on the trail. A better, safer driver saves money in long run by not spending nearly as much on repairs and mods. Learning to trail is absolutely the best mod you can get for your truck. Yes, much of it comes from personal experience, but if you have a good foundation without the dumbassed bad habits you picked up from your "experience" you become a much better driver, much faster and much cheaper.

9. Jun 10, 2013 at 2:27 PM
    Box Rocket

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Syracuse, Utah
    Vehicle:
    1995 FZJ80 Land Cruiser
    Sounds to me like your mind is made up.

And yes, I've experienced these courses before. One even from Bill Burke. :gasp: Another from the Dirty Toy School that was basically a bunch of guys from the FJ Trails Team.

From all of those experiences, it was barely anything more than a bunch of ego stroking and pimping of Sponsor X or Sponsor Y's product.

If you're an absolute novice and have never driven in the dirt before, maybe there is something to be gained. But often times its nothing but the attitude of "hey I've been trained by so-and-so and you better listen to me know cuz I know my sh*t."

Sorry to be so negative about it, but I just haven't seen a course yet that I would say offers anything remotely close to what you have to pay. And there are more ways to learn what to do and what not to do on the trail than by taking a class, and you can learn it just as fast and just as safely.

You're not too far away, anytime you're out this way, I'm happy to hit the trails with you. Maybe there's something I've learned over the last 20 years of wheeling that will be useful to you. I'm sure I can learn something from you as well.

10. Jun 10, 2013 at 2:34 PM
    Box Rocket

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Syracuse, Utah
    Vehicle:
    1995 FZJ80 Land Cruiser
    Listen, bottom line is if someone thinks they'll get something from one of the courses, then by all means, go do it! I just think that at the end of the day the only way to learn and get better at this sport is by getting out there and actually doing it. If you do that by going out with a group of friends, great. If you do that by paying gazillion dollars to take a class, great. Seat time and trail time is where you're going to learn regardless of whether you pay for it or not.

As I said in the beginning, I'm just sharing my opinion and I'm not trying to force my opinion on anyone. If you feel differently, that's cool. All I know is that I will never pay for a class like that.

11. Jun 10, 2013 at 4:47 PM
    Pearcem87

Pearcem87 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Off Road
    Seems like you have the time/money to do the course, and you want to. If it's worth it to you, then more knowledge (especially good knowledge) is never a bad thing, regardless of the subject. There is also absolutely no reason to not follow box rocket's advice and join a club. Do both! best of both worlds. A little formal instruction, followed by getting into the woods with a decent support group, and hopefully a chance to make some good friends, sounds like a recipe for a good time.

12. Jun 11, 2013 at 6:42 AM
    abunch

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Brooklyn
    Vehicle:
    04 Double Cab TRD
    haha looks like my thread finally got some responses!

Box Rocket-Totally understand where you are coming from. BTW love your truck. My reasoning for wanting to take a class is two fold.

1.) The only real wheelin time I get in is when my wife and I take off work for a couple weeks. We own a business so getting away is tuff. This usually involves me doing all the driving and wheelin by ourselves on easy trails. The plan this summer is to head up to northern Maine in early August. From going out west I feel like I need a better working knowledge in order to step up to a more advanced level on the trails, while still keeping things safe.

2.) I feel like there are no clubs in or around NYC. Being a heavily populated area wheelin spots are few and far between. The only club I have found is gotham city land cruisers, which I am considering joining. And after reading this thread I will most defiantly try and make the next meet up. http://www.gclcny.com

If anyone knows of any other clubs in NY, NJ, or western CT. I would love to know about them.

But as Pearcem87 said. I will probably do both!

13. Jun 11, 2013 at 8:55 AM
    Box Rocket

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Syracuse, Utah
    Vehicle:
    1995 FZJ80 Land Cruiser
    Gotham City Land Cruisers is a good group. I know several of their members. (I've been a Land Cruiser guy for much longer than I've had a Tacoma). Talk to Mark Wytovich with GCLC. He's a good guy and has good experience and can definitely steer you in the right direction within that club as to who you can trust for good direction and instructions.

Also, I think you'll be suprised at the number of people in that club that will be willing to hit trails with you.

Products Discussed in

To Top