1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Off Road 12v Fridges/ Freezers/ Combos! BS thread, Cus were never serious...

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by MJonaGS32, Jun 9, 2013.

1. Jun 9, 2013 at 3:37 PM
    MJonaGS32

MJonaGS32 [OP] MJ on a GS

Member:
    First Name:
    MJ
    SF Bay Area (East)
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 4x4 DCSB 6spd Vagabond
    Drifter wedge camper, Dual battery, OBA, ARB locker, 4.56 gears
    Disclaimer: The OP of this thread has since been banned. I've volunteered to take over the OP duties and will continue to update this post with information. The subsequent posts are form the original OP and I will leave those posts as they are.

Brands

ARB
    Available Sizes: 37QT, 50QT, 63QT, 82QT
    Special features: Zinc steel walls (corrosion resistance), Removable Lid
    [​IMG]

Whytner/Edgestar (Same thing)
    Available sizes: 45, 65, 85 (Whytner); 43, 63, 80 (Edgestar)
    Special features: "Fast Freeze" or "Flash Freeze" option - rapidly cools to -6*F

[​IMG]

Indel B
    Available sizes: 30L, 40L, 50L
    Special features: MAX Turbo function - Cools the contents as quickly as it can when the fridges senses that either the vehicle is running or you are hooked to house power
    [​IMG]

National Luna
    Available sizes(Aluminum or Stainless Steel): 40L, 52L, 60L, 72L, 80L, 90L, 125L
    Special features: Interior Light, lockable latch, Turbo Mode (when surplus power available)

[​IMG]

Engel
    Available Sizes: 16QT, 22QT, 34QT, 40QT, 43QT, 84QT
    Removable Hinged lid, Vibration Resistant, Removable Handles
    [​IMG]

Other important tidbits:
    - These fridges run off of either 12/24V DC or 120V AC (meaning you can plug into your truck or in your home)
    - Some people have found the stock wiring for the cig outlets not adequate enough to power the fridges, therefore running a 10AWG wire to the battery has been a more reliable solution
    - Each of the fridges have a built-in battery protection system where if it doesn't sense enough voltage coming from the battery, the cooling compressor will not turn on.
    - A packed fridge will be more efficient because the contents will stay cooler longer, and the fridge won't have to turn on its cooling compressor as often

Last edited: May 7, 2016
    Digiratus likes this.
  2. Jun 9, 2013 at 3:41 PM
    skygear

skygear                    

Member:
    Whitecloud, I had plans to do the same with this one wireing harness related. Was even considering some hot glue or heat shrink tubing for vibrations sake.

3. Jun 9, 2013 at 6:48 PM
    skygear

skygear                    

Member:
    I agree that ANY 12V fridge is worth the investment.

4. Jun 9, 2013 at 7:11 PM
    allmotorrex

allmotorrex Grove St. Fab

Member:
    First Name:
    Gideon
    Memphis 901
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 4wd 2.7
    NWF crawlbox, 5.29s, rear Detriot, front Harrop, 37" SXIIs, 17x9" KMC Grenade Crawl beadlocks, Dirt King 3.5" LT kit with King shocks, Fox 12" smooth body RR, BAMF shock kit, AP 3" springs, ext. brake lines, custom 1 piece driveshaft with .135 wall tubeing, GSF front rock crawling bumper, GSF rear bumper, Relentless Fab ifs skid, BAMF k/o sliders, X2O 10K comp. winch, TP glass fenders, OKled 20"bar, EBS dimpled/slotted rotors, EBS green pads, custom K&N CAI, LCE headers, FM Super 44 w/h turn down, URD MAF, Spec clutch, LCE heavy flywheel, URD short shifter, TMPer M1 Abrams shift knob, Amsoil oil, Cobra 75wxst w/h 4' firestix, Grillcraft, FXR TRS, T1 eyelids, custom ADV Monster 60 lights, bed lights, speedo light mod, Glow Shift volt/oil pres gauges, Glow shift 2g column pod, Optima yellow tops dual battery setup w/h IBS system, Pioneer DEH-P7200HD head unit, Pioneer 600W 4ch & 350w 2ch amps for doors and sub, Wet Oakle covers
    All that crap I just read .......... When does this review process start!?

5. Jun 9, 2013 at 7:11 PM
    skygear

skygear                    

Member:
    On a side note. I just started re reading the specs on the ARB, ENGEL, NATIONAL LUNA, and WHYNTER fridges/ freezers.

From a cooling aspect, From warmest to coolest.

ENGEL Does 0°F (-17.78°C) to 40°F (4.44°C)
    ARB Does -0.4°F (-18°C) to ???? No data on max
    WHYNTER Does -8°F (-22.22°C) to 50°F (10°C)
    NATIONAL LUNA Does -22°F (-30°C) to 68°F (20°C)

Again, I think the rating on the WHYNTER might be because of the Fast Freeze option. where you click the FF button and then it goes full steam ahead in the cooling area. Thus pushing the motor in MAX.

No it is not the DAN FOSS compressor, but I would imaging that everyone is using a similar style.

None of these are a the style that blows air around the chamber. From what I have read in the past, those are the most effective type and the reason our full sized fridge freezers in the house are so effective.

I believe I saw a version that had circulating air for sale on Expedition portal last year. MSRP was +$6000 and the guy was selling for maybe half that. Was rated for Medical use and might even have been one of the type they use for transporting blood in the military.

6. Jun 9, 2013 at 7:14 PM
    skygear

skygear                    

Member:
    When I get mine on Thursday night, I will do an Unboxing Vid. After that I will start the rest of the process.

Mine is shipped from a storage warehouse in CA. Since it is 75#, I'm sure they sent it freight and not expedited.

Also, this is a "BS" thread for now. ;) :bananadead:

7. Jun 9, 2013 at 7:20 PM
    skygear

skygear                    

Member:
    So far, there are not any sites that have a "COMPARE" feature for an accurate specs comparison. I would LIKE to get my hands on as many brands as possible for review, but I doubt anyone would "spot" me on 1 of each.

I will check with the LOCALs and see if anyone has examples of each of the other brands.

Then I could also do noise level tests, etc.

That article I posted in the OP was from December 2012 - And should be up to date. Then again there are other things I would like tested.

Like when it IS running, what the actual draw is using a meter in the different settings.

8. Jun 9, 2013 at 7:21 PM
    skygear

skygear                    

Member:
    Looks nice! How is the heat coming off of it when it is running? That is something I wanted to measure.

9. Jun 9, 2013 at 7:24 PM
    skygear

skygear                    

Member:
    @Gideon, you looking to get one in the near future? What is the budget looking like? That, like all the MODS we do, should be everyones starting point.

10. Jun 9, 2013 at 7:32 PM
    skygear

skygear                    

Member:
    Actually, YES, that would be great. Set it to MAX then pull a reading. Then back to a normal temp that you usually run it at, swipe another reading. Hopefully a couple hours between the readings to allow an accurate change of temp.

You have an AMP/ Watt meter? HomeDepot sells a couple http://www.homedepot.com/p/P3-International-Kill-A-Watt-EZ-Meter/202196388

[​IMG]

I would be interested to see what the readings at different intervals would be

Like -
    Sat for a day - then on to MAX
    Sat for a day - on to normal temp
    normal temp - then set to MAX

Also, Internal TEMP readings with a Digital or analog VS what the screen says

I am looking for one that could go inline on the 12v also. vs using a multi meter.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2013
  11. Jun 9, 2013 at 7:51 PM
    allmotorrex

allmotorrex Grove St. Fab

Member:
    First Name:
    Gideon
    Memphis 901
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 4wd 2.7
    NWF crawlbox, 5.29s, rear Detriot, front Harrop, 37" SXIIs, 17x9" KMC Grenade Crawl beadlocks, Dirt King 3.5" LT kit with King shocks, Fox 12" smooth body RR, BAMF shock kit, AP 3" springs, ext. brake lines, custom 1 piece driveshaft with .135 wall tubeing, GSF front rock crawling bumper, GSF rear bumper, Relentless Fab ifs skid, BAMF k/o sliders, X2O 10K comp. winch, TP glass fenders, OKled 20"bar, EBS dimpled/slotted rotors, EBS green pads, custom K&N CAI, LCE headers, FM Super 44 w/h turn down, URD MAF, Spec clutch, LCE heavy flywheel, URD short shifter, TMPer M1 Abrams shift knob, Amsoil oil, Cobra 75wxst w/h 4' firestix, Grillcraft, FXR TRS, T1 eyelids, custom ADV Monster 60 lights, bed lights, speedo light mod, Glow Shift volt/oil pres gauges, Glow shift 2g column pod, Optima yellow tops dual battery setup w/h IBS system, Pioneer DEH-P7200HD head unit, Pioneer 600W 4ch & 350w 2ch amps for doors and sub, Wet Oakle covers
    Yes sir. And I don't have a budget. I'm kinda a spontaneous spender so no matter how much something costs, if I want it in the moment then ill buy it! Lol but for real though, I been thinkin about buying one for a few years now but I only looked at the arbs and DAMN are they expensive!!!

12. Jun 9, 2013 at 8:00 PM
    skygear

skygear                    

Member:
    I'm the same way when it comes to something I want. But I was looking at the features between all of these before and decided, for the price, and features, the WHYNTER looked promising.

Temperature was one of the biggest things for me. and based on those specs I posted above. WOW, the difference in pricing from -8°F to -22°F was $1500!

I then looked at what type of cooling they were all using. None were the moving AIR like our house hold appliances. That would have been the next biggest thing I looked at. HOWEVER, in a vehicle, that could be a huge negative if there was a spill in the compartment.

I agree though, these things in general are pricy. As much, if not more than, a full sized house hold appliance/

13. Jun 9, 2013 at 8:15 PM
    skygear

skygear                    

Member:
    I had another theory on the temp ratings vs performance, i mentioned earlier. how cold they get vs how fast they get that cold. That could be the whole difference in amps all together.

14. Jun 9, 2013 at 9:18 PM
    skygear

skygear                    

Member:
  15. Jun 9, 2013 at 9:19 PM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Roaming the PNW
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    2002 XtraCab TRD 4x4 SCv6 AutoTrans With Lots of Mods ADS COs w/Compression Adjusters Camburg Uniball UCAs Whiteline Lower Control Arm Bushings Kartek 7" Limit Straps Plastics Guy Front Bumpstops Custom Alcan Springs +800 lbs +3" ADS 10" Stroke Triple Bypass w/Resi Rear Shocks Custom Rear Shock Relocate All-Pro U-bolt Flip w/Timbren Bumpstops 4.88 Nitro Gears ARB Front Locker ARB Twin Compressor Black 17x8 Konig Countersteer Type X 285/70r17 Falken A/T3w Gunmetal 16x8 SCS Ray10s 255/85r16 Maxxis Bighorns Limited Edition (Relentless) Elite Front Bumper Smittybilt X2O 10K Winch Diode Dynamics SS3 Sport Selective Yellow Fog Lights in the Bumper Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro 4,000 Kelvin SAE Driving Lights with Clear Lenses on the Bumper Morimoto D2S Projectors XB35 Ballasts + 4300K Bulbs Badland Sliders FrankenFab Tire Carrier Swingout bumper w/kitchen BudBuilt Front & Bellypan Skids BAMF Rear Diff Skid Dometic CFX 55im Fridge/Freezer Alpha II Hardshell RTT Badland Custom Bed Rack Denso 210-0461 105 amp alternator Dual Northstar 24F AGM batteries BlueSea 7622 ML-ACR Battery controller Peak DBI Dual Battery Voltage Monitor Magnuson MP62 Supercharger w/2.37" Pulley Haltech Elite 2000 Standalone ECU Denso 650cc Fuel Injectors Doug Thorley Headers Aeromotive Stealth 340 Fuel Pump TransGo A340F Reprogramming Shift Kit Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT, Magnaflow 18" Muffler w/Vibrant Resonator 13WL Brake Calipers Braided Steel Brake Lines ScanGauge II OBDII Scanner Kenwood TM-71A Dual Band Ham Radio Larson 70CM/2M Antenna Uniden 520xl CB radio 3' Firestik Adjustable tip antenna Pioneer DEH-P9400BH HU Alpine Amps & Type R components (F) and coaxials (R) Wet Okole Seat Covers Weathertech Digital Liners Deck Plate Mod 1" Diff Drop Carrier Bearing Drop
    In for the testing results.

@skygear I am curious where you got an 85 qt (Whynter FM-85G) for $550. Best I am able to find it for is $750 (free shipping) from Amazon

16. Jun 9, 2013 at 9:22 PM
    skygear

skygear                    

Member:
    Home Depot minus Armed forces/ Military/ Gov't discounts.
    You need to call in and ask for it.

17. Jun 9, 2013 at 9:34 PM
    skygear

skygear                    

Member:
    HD has fathers day specials and sales going on right now. Here is the screen shot. Keep in mind, You have to ask for the "Military/ Armed Forces/ Gov't (any Verticle Badge)" discount of 10% that you would get if you showed your ID in Store.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Whynter-85-qt-Portable-Fridge-Freezer-FM-85G/202555700

Discount for the $50 is apply'd when you add to cart. The discount applys to ALL the WHYNTER line also!.\

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/cat...tpc=1&selectedCatgry=Search+All#/?c=1&6r2=6r2

Search criteria was "Portable Freezer"

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 9, 2013
  18. Jun 9, 2013 at 9:43 PM
    skygear

skygear                    

Member:
    Yeah, so --- take any of these, subtract the instant $50 off, then subtract the 10%. Might be other discounts people are aware of that I am not. I searched and came up blank.

I was considering the DZ version, but being out of stock online really made my decision easy.

[​IMG]

19. Jun 9, 2013 at 9:45 PM
    skygear

skygear                    

Member:
    If anyone else has bomber deals or sites for any of the Portable fridges, by all means, Post them for the benefit of the community.

20. Jun 9, 2013 at 10:15 PM
    Whitecloud

Whitecloud Cloudy-fabricator of things

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnathan
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    Superwhite 06 DCLB
    ICON Extended travel Coilovers, Custom leaf pack, custom sliders and F&R bumpers, 295 75 17 Toyo Open Country MT's, On-Board air with F+R connectors, On-Board water with quick disconnect shower.Trimmed fenders and body mount chop. LOTS of wiring, dual battery setup, Solar charging system, with some random lights spread around here and there.
    Good info buddy. I got mine on Amazon about 4-5 months ago when they had a sale on them and got the 65qt for about 380.00ish. But I watched it go up and down for about a month.

Products Discussed in

To Top