Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

New toys...

Old 02-24-2009, 03:44 PM   #2
sliverworm is a jewel in the roughsliverworm is a jewel in the roughsliverworm is a jewel in the rough

sliverworm's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to sliverworm
what is that thing? I see alot of people with them in their beds..
Old 02-24-2009, 03:48 PM   #4
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Congrats man! What winch is that? Looks like a Warn M8000 from the pic on the box. I just picked up a lightly used Warn XD9000i Multi-mount for my truck last friday. I'm pretty stoked to finally have a winch for my truck.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:50 PM   #6
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
WTF did i tell u?!?!?!?! u beat me on the winch so far, but i've had the hi lift for a while.....i guess this one is a draw....

but i did put in my 3" AP leaf kit, walker evans rear shocks, and u bolt flips today....boooyah...lol
Old 02-24-2009, 03:53 PM   #7
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Can't mount it yourself huh? Why's that, just cant lift the bumper into place by yourself? I can see that being an issue, the winch will add 80+ lbs to the already awkward to move bumper. If I put a winch in the front of mine I'm sure that would be the case too
Old 02-24-2009, 03:56 PM   #8
Can you pass the bailout please?
LonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
LonghornTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
WTF did i tell u?!?!?!?! u beat me on the winch so far, but i've had the hi lift for a while.....i guess this one is a draw....

but i did put in my 3" AP leaf kit, walker evans rear shocks, and u bolt flips today....boooyah...lol
I'm like that!

Ordering my bud builts tomorrow...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme450 View Post
Can't mount it yourself huh? Why's that, just cant lift the bumper into place by yourself? I can see that being an issue, the winch will add 80+ lbs to the already awkward to move bumper.
Yeah, difficult to lift into place. And I don't want to scratch up the bumper because I can't manage it... Plus, I'm gonna have to crank up my coilovers for the added weight, and that just easier with another pair of hands. I've adjusted them once by myself, but it was a pain in the ass!
Old 02-24-2009, 04:13 PM   #9
sliverworm is a jewel in the roughsliverworm is a jewel in the roughsliverworm is a jewel in the rough

sliverworm's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to sliverworm
Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornTaco View Post
It's a Hi-Lift jack. With the lift and tires, the stock bottle jack doesn't work anymore.

And it has MANY MANY MANY more uses apparently...
that thing is pretty awesome. Nice price for all it can do..
Old 02-24-2009, 05:47 PM   #10
wing103 has much to be proud ofwing103 has much to be proud ofwing103 has much to be proud ofwing103 has much to be proud ofwing103 has much to be proud ofwing103 has much to be proud ofwing103 has much to be proud ofwing103 has much to be proud ofwing103 has much to be proud of

wing103's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to wing103 Send a message via AIM to wing103 Send a message via MSN to wing103 Send a message via Yahoo to wing103 Send a message via Skype™ to wing103
Quote:
These came today...

Man, I have no life!
How much is it for the total? And where did you order? Thanks
Old 02-24-2009, 05:57 PM   #11
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
nice!!!

i still gotta figure out where im gonna mount my hi-lift.....which came in last week.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:32 AM   #15
wing103 has much to be proud ofwing103 has much to be proud ofwing103 has much to be proud ofwing103 has much to be proud ofwing103 has much to be proud ofwing103 has much to be proud ofwing103 has much to be proud ofwing103 has much to be proud ofwing103 has much to be proud of

wing103's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to wing103 Send a message via AIM to wing103 Send a message via MSN to wing103 Send a message via Yahoo to wing103 Send a message via Skype™ to wing103
Quote:
$560 shipped on the winch from eBay and about $100 shipped (with the handle keeper) for the Hi-Lift from 4WheelParts.com
They have HL-485 & HL-605, which one is right for the Tacoma?
Old 02-25-2009, 01:42 PM   #16
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I just got back from Home Depot getting the stuff I need to mount it to the bed rails...
if i had bed rails in my 04...thats where it'd go too.
Old 03-01-2009, 02:50 PM   #17
nvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nvdeserted's Tacoma Gallery
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverworm View Post
what is that thing? I see alot of people with them in their beds..
It's probably the single most useful tool to have for off roading. Basically it's just a jack used to lift a corner/side of the vehicle from the bumper or anywhere if you have rock sliders. Back when I was into rockcrawling jeeps I'd use it at least once every outing; commonly, when I was stuck on my differential or close to mangling a driveline I'd just use it to lift one side of the jeep off the ground and stack a few rocks under the tires to get over an obsticle.

By itself it is useless on a stock taco beacuse it will just put a hole in the sides or front bumper as is; I use one of these to get the tire up http://www.hi-lift.com/accessories/lift-mate.html and then I put 1 jackstand underneath to change a wheel.

It can also be used as a come-along or hand winch if you get stuck by your lonsome and there is a large tree conviniently near you. It's kind of a pain in the ass but it beats walking out...You'll need some extra stuff for this to work but it is handy: this kit, plus you'll need to buy some chain: http://www.hi-lift.com/accessories/off-road-kit.html

This thing will also work on the rear taco bumper: http://www.hi-lift.com/accessories/bumper-lift.html ...not much use if you need to lift the front though.

There are some more "not recommended" uses to get you out of a jam. These aren't safe but they are useful if you must: say the rear of the truck gets hung up and you'd be fine if only the back end was 1' over to either side, jack the rear up via the tow hitch and the push the vehicle from the side basically making it fall off the jack and over to the side. NOT SAFE. You'll figure out all kinds of dangerous uses for it if you get real stuck

Also know that these things aren't safe. You need to be careful when using it, never get under a vehicle being supported by a hiLift! I've seen them tip over in all diresctions while supporting a rig on uneven ground; make sure to "chalk" all 3 tires not being lifted. I've heard, never seen, that the handle too can "buck" and brake an arm or your face.

It's a good idea to bring along a good sized chunk of wood or one of these http://www.hi-lift.com/accessories/off-road-base.html incase you need to use it on mud or sand (usually when you need it most).

To have the most fun... I mean use with it, you need heavy duty, off road, steel bumpers and rock sliders to use as jacking-points on a vehicle. Plus the hand winch function won't be too handy unless you have tow hooks or some shackles on your rig to hook it to.

Also make sure to always have it firmly mounted when not in use... it could be one hell of a decapitating tool if it it went flying out during an accident.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:37 PM   #18
nvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nvdeserted's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmer View Post
Dear timmer, (you 4 wheeling stud you )

Thank you for your recent order. Your order was shipped on 02/26/2009 and should arrive in 5-6 business days. In the meantime, here is some important information about your order:

**ORDER NUMBER: 5#####7**

Part Number Part Description QTY Tracking Number
Carrier: Est. Arrival
SPW-1901 S-WINCH X9 12V DC 1 1Zxxxxxxxxxx623250
UPS: 5-6 bus. days
SPW-2549 ROLLER FAIRLEAD 1 1Zxxxxxxxxxx913206
UPS: 3-4 bus. days

Track your UPS Order:

Your satisfaction is our number one priority. Let us know how we're doing: www.summitracing.com/
That show up yet? Pics?
Old 03-04-2009, 03:58 PM   #19
Fire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Fire931's Tacoma Gallery
an idea for mounting the winch (this is how i did mine) first unbolt the sides (wings) of the bumper and remove, then unbolt the top center section and remove. then you can lift the winch up and place it on whats left of the bumper. bolt it down and then reassemble the bumper around it. wala!!! you just installed everything by yourself!
Old 03-04-2009, 04:02 PM   #20
Can you pass the bailout please?
LonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
LonghornTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire931 View Post
an idea for mounting the winch (this is how i did mine) first unbolt the sides (wings) of the bumper and remove, then unbolt the top center section and remove. then you can lift the winch up and place it on whats left of the bumper. bolt it down and then reassemble the bumper around it. wala!!! you just installed everything by yourself!
That's a great idea... I hadn't thought of that! But, can you get to all the bolts to loosen them?