Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Best cb and cb antenna

Old 06-13-2013, 07:52 PM   #1
ecr6cyl10 is a glorious beacon of lightecr6cyl10 is a glorious beacon of lightecr6cyl10 is a glorious beacon of lightecr6cyl10 is a glorious beacon of lightecr6cyl10 is a glorious beacon of lightecr6cyl10 is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Eddy
ecr6cyl10's Tacoma Gallery
Best cb and cb antenna

I am putting a CB in my truck and I wanted to know what the best length of antenna and best position to put the antenna? I also was wondering what the best brand CB to get?
Old 06-13-2013, 07:55 PM   #2
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
I hear/read cobra is a good brand of CB. and i think a lot of guys have the fire stick antenna.

I’m wanting the cobra 29 LX and probably will get a 5’ fire stick antenna.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:56 PM   #3
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnRedNeck721 View Post
I hear/read cobra is a good brand of CB. and i think a lot of guys have the fire stick antenna.
X2

I have both and they work well
Old 06-13-2013, 09:47 PM   #4
cmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Chris
cmj's Tacoma Gallery
The best antenna is a 108" 1/4 wave whip, but obviously its a bit cumbersome. Roof mounted NMO antennas are really good. Firstiks work reasonably well for short range on the trail but lack a good ground plane to reach out.

I mounted mine in the ash tray but I have a 1st gen..
Old 06-14-2013, 05:24 AM   #5
Central Scrutinizer
LUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dennis
LUSETACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecr6cyl10 View Post
I am putting a CB in my truck and I wanted to know what the best length of antenna and best position to put the antenna? I also was wondering what the best brand CB to get?
Best length: 108" whip. Best position: top of the roof. Unfortunatly, that's not really the best for wheeling. Cobra is an ok brand of CB, kind of middle of the road. If you're wanting the best look into Brands like Connex, Stryker, Galaxy. If we had more info on what you're using the radio for we could give some better advice.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:28 AM   #6
Banned
SoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
SoCaltaco65's Tacoma Gallery
OP, before you get confused this is a good place to read and gather info, also a very good place to purchase radio gear.

http://www.rightchannelradios.com/ch...-best-cb-radio
Old 06-15-2013, 05:41 AM   #7
ecr6cyl10 is a glorious beacon of lightecr6cyl10 is a glorious beacon of lightecr6cyl10 is a glorious beacon of lightecr6cyl10 is a glorious beacon of lightecr6cyl10 is a glorious beacon of lightecr6cyl10 is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Eddy
ecr6cyl10's Tacoma Gallery
I am going to the FJ Summit this year with my truck and I need a CB that will work well in the mountains of Colorado.
Old 06-15-2013, 06:34 AM   #8
Central Scrutinizer
LUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dennis
LUSETACO's Tacoma Gallery
I would go with a Wilson 1000 mag mount and a decent CB then. Even though they are mag mounts I have never knocked mine off while wheeling. They are relatively cheap, easy to set up and perform great. Even though all CB's are required to only output 4 watts it pays to spend a little more on a decent radio. The quality of components pays off in quality of transmit and receive. What is your budget?
Old 06-20-2013, 09:18 AM   #9
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Chickenmunga's Tacoma Gallery
Get a CB if you are going with a group.
Get a HAM if you need to get out and touch people.

Most people recommend Firestik, but I'm not sure why. Very thick, not flexible, typically requires a spring mount. I prefer my Wilson Flex antenna - thin and very flexible. Imagine having a second radio antenna, just longer and has the ability to bend in almost half.

Length is all about clearing the cab. Get at least 4' if you do hood mount.

Radios are dependent on the space you want to take up. A good hide-away unit is the Cobra 19DX. If you don't care about space, go with what Lusetaco said. I've heard good things about Galaxy.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:29 AM   #10
Kick A$$ Member
LoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter
LoadedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Save yourself a headache and don't mount it on the bed rail system. Some people claim that theirs work great, but after trying a bunch of setups I gave up on the bed rail and went with a tailgate from BAMF. It created a great ground and now I get some serious range. Was at half mile on the bed rail, now I can go for miles (even when I was in Moab earlier in the month). CB are all about a ground plane (being on a piece of metal). Hood, Roof, Metal bumpers or Like mine definitely work the best. Read up on the thread Guerrilla posted.

I have a Cobra 19 that I chose because a bunch of people on here have them and seem to like them. I have 4' Firestick. The key to CBs is in the antenna and coax quality so if you need to save money do on the actual CB.

Old 06-20-2013, 01:02 PM   #11
Because 4R
Wishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
Wishbone Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickenmunga View Post
Get a CB if you are going with a group.
Get a HAM if you need to get out and touch people.
Well said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickenmunga View Post
Most people recommend Firestik, but I'm not sure why. Very thick, not flexible, typically requires a spring mount. I prefer my Wilson Flex antenna - thin and very flexible. Imagine having a second radio antenna, just longer and has the ability to bend in almost half.
In agreement as well, trails around here are very tight with lots of trees and my Flex has held up great without a spring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadedTaco View Post
Save yourself a headache and don't mount it on the bed rail system. Some people claim that theirs work great, but after trying a bunch of setups I gave up on the bed rail and went with a tailgate from BAMF. It created a great ground and now I get some serious range. Was at half mile on the bed rail, now I can go for miles (even when I was in Moab earlier in the month). CB are all about a ground plane (being on a piece of metal). Hood, Roof, Metal bumpers or Like mine definitely work the best. Read up on the thread Guerrilla posted.

I have a Cobra 19 that I chose because a bunch of people on here have them and seem to like them. I have 4' Firestick. The key to CBs is in the antenna and coax quality so if you need to save money do on the actual CB.
I approve this statement!
Old 06-20-2013, 01:08 PM   #12
Kick A$$ Member
LoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter
LoadedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishbone Runner View Post

I approve this statement!
I was shocked while you guys went down that other trail and I headed the opposite direction I was able to talk to you almost all the way out to the road.

Edit: You need a build thread and to whore that video out of your truck defeating wipeout hill.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:20 PM   #13
Because 4R
Wishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
Wishbone Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadedTaco View Post
I was shocked while you guys went down that other trail and I headed the opposite direction I was able to talk to you almost all the way out to the road.

Edit: You need a build thread and to whore that video out of your truck defeating wipeout hill.
Got one, need to add the videos though! (edit: Done!)

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/4ru...ers-build.html

Edit: Here is my setup, would work for a Taco as well.