LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Best Skid Plates for the Money

Old 06-19-2013, 10:32 AM   #1
Frogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: On EOS duty
Name: Chris
Frogsauce's Tacoma Gallery
Best Skid Plates for the Money

I'm just looking for a bit of undercarriage protection after a recent incident.

I don't do extreme wheeling, but I have dented the stock skid up a couple of times.

I have heard AllPro getting bashed on other products, but how are their skid plates. Is their anything equivalent for less money?

Relentless has a really nice looking set, but it's more expensive than the AllPro set.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:33 AM   #2
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Basically it boils down to this, if you want good skids it's going to cost you.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:40 AM   #3
Frogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Large View Post
Basically it boils down to this, if you want good skids it's going to cost you.
Understood, I know it's not cheap. But that isn't helpful in evaluating AllPro vs something else.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:41 AM   #4
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Monster Coma's Tacoma Gallery
Pelfreybilt makes a nice skid. Shipping is a pain but I have his IFS skid and its built really well
Old 06-19-2013, 10:44 AM   #5

Did you have to reroute the exhaust? I was worried about it hanging below the skids; not a big deal to reroute I guess.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ml#post6958481
Old 06-19-2013, 10:47 AM   #6
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Monster Coma's Tacoma Gallery
I only have the IFS and with that no you dont have to reroute anything
Old 06-19-2013, 08:06 PM   #7
iKill
mgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: SGT (ret.), 0311, 1st Battalion 6th Marines
mgrande's Tacoma Gallery
Since you're in VA it will probably be cheapest to get them from Budbuilt. Buds out of NC I believe. Makes great stuff, prices should be on par with everyone else, you'll just save on shipping.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:56 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrande View Post
Since you're in VA it will probably be cheapest to get them from Budbuilt. Buds out of NC I believe. Makes great stuff, prices should be on par with everyone else, you'll just save on shipping.
Budbuilt skids look pretty good. For the whole set shipped (for me), it looks like it's cheaper than the full AllPro set.

Thanks
Old 06-20-2013, 04:31 AM   #9
distinguished bongo truck art critic
Mxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police Platoon Leader
Name: Chase
Mxpatriot's Tacoma Gallery
All Pro is acceptable quality, I have bashed my IFS skid extensively and it has stood up to it; but if I had the choice (and it sounds like it is the cheaper choice for you as well) I would go with bud built.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:21 AM   #10
Swimmerboy2112 is on a distinguished road

Name: Brian
Swimmerboy2112's Tacoma Gallery
I had a set of budbuilts on my 86 4Runner and that thing saw more rocks than i'd like to remember hah. Nevertheless, my budbuilts took every rock hit without ever bending, I could only manage to scratch them.

Not only is the build quality top notch but the customer service is A+ often times Bud himself answers the phone and always goes out of his way to help people. That means a lot in my book.

100% satisfied with Budbuilt!
Old 06-20-2013, 05:27 AM   #11
blake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Blake
blake5995's Tacoma Gallery
I like to support the smaller companies on here so i would go with the cheaper route; Budbuilt
Old 06-20-2013, 05:42 AM   #12
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Coma View Post
Pelfreybilt makes a nice skid. Shipping is a pain but I have his IFS skid and its built really well
I agree with this, I had a full set of skids from Tyler and they are very stout. Although if you ask anyone with anyone else skids they will tell you the same thing about a different brand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogsauce View Post
Did you have to reroute the exhaust? I was worried about it hanging below the skids; not a big deal to reroute I guess.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ml#post6958481
I ran his skid without having the exhaust rerouted to begin with, I didn't like how the exhaust was touching the skid so about 2 weeks after the skid was installed I rerouted the exhaust. Is it needed? I'm not sure but I didn't want to warp my new expensive skid and it was cheaper (about $80) to have the exhaust rerouted than to by another one.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:43 AM   #13
Red
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Adding on to the All Pro skid, I have bought a few of their products and they are very robust and I wouldn't think of a reason to sway you away from it. A local (Houston) guy is running one, beats the crap out of it and he is satisfied.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:50 AM   #14
iKill
mgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: SGT (ret.), 0311, 1st Battalion 6th Marines
mgrande's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogsauce View Post
Budbuilt skids look pretty good. For the whole set shipped (for me), it looks like it's cheaper than the full AllPro set.

Thanks
No problem bud. I have a full set of his aluminum skids and the gf has his sliders and a custom front bumper on her 5th gen 4runner. Great people to deal with
Old 06-20-2013, 08:00 AM   #15
Pearcem87 will become famous soon enough
Marines:
Pearcem87's Tacoma Gallery
I am ordering a budbuilt 4 piece set in the next few weeks. During my reasearch, they were polite, helpful, and quick to respond to any questions I had. They are local for me (and fairly local for OP, Lenoir, NC). For a 4 piece set to eastern NC, shipping will run between $70-80 as of last week. Also, they offer powder coating from their shop. All in all, a 4 piece set, powdercoated, will run about $900 before shipping. Really not bad at all. I will let you know how they turn out once I get them.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:06 AM   #16
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Chickenmunga's Tacoma Gallery
skids are pretty basic when it comes to design and construction. There's only so many bolt holes on the bottom side, and everything should be about the same thickness. Your differences are getting a company that can reliably get the bolt holes to line up.

If this was a bumper or something, I'd worry more.

budbuilt is an industry standard
I haven't had any fitment issue with my Relentless
Old 06-21-2013, 11:10 AM   #17
BVCOTaco is on a distinguished road
BVCOTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I bought Skid Row skids. That was the cheapest route for me. I called the nearest 4Wheel Part and since they carry them, they shipped them into the store in Colorado Springs for me. So there was no charge for shipping and the prices were cheaper than they were on Skid Row's website.

I haven't really tested them yet on the rocks, but there are pretty heavy duty!
Old 06-21-2013, 04:27 PM   #18
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickenmunga View Post
skids are pretty basic when it comes to design and construction. There's only so many bolt holes on the bottom side, and everything should be about the same thickness. Your differences are getting a company that can reliably get the bolt holes to line up.

If this was a bumper or something, I'd worry more.

budbuilt is an industry standard
I haven't had any fitment issue with my Relentless
The biggest difference I've seen between full sets of skids is the t-case skid and some have numerous exposed bolt heads. I'll say Relentless doesn't have many, and the t-case skid is probably the stoutest on the market.

That said some of the other companies may be cheaper or get you your skids much quicker.

Just my .02
Old 06-21-2013, 04:27 PM   #19
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVCOTaco View Post
I bought Skid Row skids. That was the cheapest route for me. I called the nearest 4Wheel Part and since they carry them, they shipped them into the store in Colorado Springs for me. So there was no charge for shipping and the prices were cheaper than they were on Skid Row's website.

I haven't really tested them yet on the rocks, but there are pretty heavy duty!
OP has a 2nd gen, Skid Row only makes skids for 1st gens AFAIK.