Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

need a bumper for 3rd world, help

Old 07-01-2013, 03:45 PM   #1
Techy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTechy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTechy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTechy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTechy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTechy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTechy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTechy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTechy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTechy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTechy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Techy's Tacoma Gallery
Question need a bumper for 3rd world, help

Hi a buddy of mine will be going over seas in a 3rd world country and he was wondering what bumper would be best for overall protection, but mainly for escape and evasion. Imagine you get into some crap in a dodgy african nation and had to push a toyota van out of your way and bounce off a couple small cars; what bumper would you guys want on the front of your taco?

Thanks in advance. He really needs some good recommendations. He was looking at ARB.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:02 PM   #2
Recker is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecker is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecker is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecker is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecker is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecker is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecker is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecker is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecker is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecker is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecker is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Recker
Recker's Tacoma Gallery
Don't have any personal experience but knew I came across an interesting thread. This might help! I thought it was pretty sweet.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...h-america.html
Old 07-01-2013, 04:18 PM   #3
Pearcem87 will become famous soon enough
Marines:
Pearcem87's Tacoma Gallery
Don't have a ton of first hand experience, but the ARB is designed for impact with animals, objects, etc. It is geared more towards expedition and protection than high clearance, recreational off road use. I am sure there are some other manufacturers out there, but from what I know and my previous experience with ARB, it would probably fit the bill as well or better than anything that isn't custom made.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:16 PM   #4
Techy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTechy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTechy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTechy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTechy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTechy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTechy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTechy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTechy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTechy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTechy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Techy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recker View Post
Don't have any personal experience but knew I came across an interesting thread. This might help! I thought it was pretty sweet.
That is definitely an interesting thread
Old 07-01-2013, 05:24 PM   #5
Mall Crawler
MrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Dean'o
Location: Wisconsin, Hawaii, California, North Carolina...everywhere
MrGrimm's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recker View Post
If you are looking for protection then that version of the All-Pro plate bumper is not what your friend is looking for. The ARB is nice but (1) It has no recovery points (2) It's clearance is not that much better than a stock bumper.

From personal experience get a full one piece plate bumper with beefy headlight guards. My new bumper fixes all of the issues that my last bumper had. It's (1) stronger, (2) one-piece (3) better clearance for larger tires.

Old 07-01-2013, 05:27 PM   #6
CASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gabe
CASTRATE's Tacoma Gallery
Just build one. I used 4x4x.25 square tube and .25" plate for most of my bumper. A bit heavier than I'd like, but oh well
Old 07-01-2013, 05:27 PM   #7
Master Navigator/Zipper Operator
Germ is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Germ's Tacoma Gallery
sub'd. Diggin' that bumper MrGrimm.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:39 PM   #8
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Chickenmunga's Tacoma Gallery
being just a bit nitpicky, but the biggest problem with that AP from just looking at it is that the fairlead is at an angle. Your winch line is constantly dragging over the top of the fairlead.

With how much space there is, I would have liked to see a more squared off face with the option to mount the winch in the feet-forward position, which is the strongest possible placement for the winch (if you look from the side, feet first means winch is pulling forward instead of trying to rotate forward). It's a minor point and I have only seen one bumper actually allow for that option.

I very much agree on all Grimm's other technical points. Note also how Grimm's has cutouts for hi-lift usage and a large viewport for the winch line.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:06 AM   #9

Techy's Tacoma Gallery
Any more input on a tough bumper that could push a vehicle if it had to?
Old 07-03-2013, 09:12 AM   #10
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
Any of the one piece design bumpers should be fine
Old 07-05-2013, 06:43 PM   #11

Techy's Tacoma Gallery
Any more bumper whizzes care to weigh in
Old 07-05-2013, 06:58 PM   #12
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
ARB can handle the abuse as far as the bumper is concerned, but pushing a van out of the way and bouncing off of a few cars? That's going to take it's toll on the frame.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:03 PM   #13
Warputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet - 1st Inf. Div.
Name: Chris
Warputer's Tacoma Gallery
My ARB crushed the back of a Honda Accord & just got a few scratches.....this was around 20 mph.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:05 PM   #14
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Personally I'd add some dimple died 1/8 to the back of the wings of the ARB and maybe a little more bracing where I could. Then plate the crumple zones on the frame.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:40 PM   #15
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
Brute force. You will win.
Old 07-06-2013, 12:43 PM   #16

Techy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warputer View Post
My ARB crushed the back of a Honda Accord & just got a few scratches.....this was around 20 mph.
Frame come out alright?
Old 07-06-2013, 12:44 PM   #17

Techy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamillion2345 View Post
Personally I'd add some dimple died 1/8 to the back of the wings of the ARB and maybe a little more bracing where I could. Then plate the crumple zones on the frame.
Where at and how large are these crumple zones. Just curious
Old 07-06-2013, 01:03 PM   #18
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
From descriptions of various folks installing their bumpers, ARB wins hands down, not so much in the construction of the bumper (granted it excels there) but in the amount and strength of the fastening of the bumper to the frame.

Relentless bumpers, for example, are beautiful and marvelous sturdy. But I watched Kevin have to loosen and realign it after a borderline tough "stuck" yank recovery.

Caveat - I'm giving you this advise as one of the guys still running a stock front bumper. It's the one piece of armor I don't feel I need for my intended usage. (skids, sliders, high clearance rear bumper etc...) which is much different than your friend's described usage.
Old 07-06-2013, 06:03 PM   #20
Warputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet - 1st Inf. Div.
Name: Chris
Warputer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warputer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techy View Post
Frame come out alright?
Yup