Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

7" rim with 12.5" tire

Old 07-03-2013, 12:26 PM   #1
bmolda1 will become famous soon enoughbmolda1 will become famous soon enough
Name: Brian
bmolda1's Tacoma Gallery
7" rim with 12.5" tire

General tire question not a taco question...

I know it CAN be done, but does anyone have any practical experience running 12.5" wide tires on a 7"rim? What did you like/not like about it?

I'm putting 33s on my Grand Wagoneer and I like the stock rims but want as wide a tire as possible. From what I have read, people begin to disagree when you get to 12.5" width on a 7" rim.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:35 PM   #2
Salesman by trade, Gentleman by habit
Mr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brennen J
Mr. Biscuits's Tacoma Gallery
you may be able to pull it off on the street, but once you need to air down you're going to lose that bead right quick.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:57 PM   #3
tired
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Biscuits View Post
you may be able to pull it off on the street, but once you need to air down you're going to lose that bead right quick.
Actually the narrower wheel will hold a bead better than a wider rim. A wide tire on a narrow rim will "crown" the tire and you'll get uneven wear down the center of the tire.

Edit: 8" wheel would be best.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:04 PM   #4
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
I'm running 315/75/16 on my 7 inch Tahoe wheels. It's wearing slightly in the center, but no problems otherwise.
Old 07-04-2013, 02:34 PM   #6
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
No.

A 7" wheel will pull the tire in to much. You'd have to run at like 20psi for even wear.

8" is the smallest you can run on a 12.5.
35 psi corrects my wear issues. I pumped back up to 45psi because IDGAF.
Old 07-04-2013, 03:00 PM   #8
Whyareyoureadingthis?

No, this is on my 4-door Tahoe. Probably different on a Tacoma.
Old 07-04-2013, 03:05 PM   #11
hetkind is just really nicehetkind is just really nicehetkind is just really nicehetkind is just really nice
Army: Defense Contract Management Agency
Name: Howard
hetkind's Tacoma Gallery
The old rule of thumb was tire was no more than 2" wider than rim...but I guess that has changed.
Old 07-04-2013, 05:18 PM   #12
Whyareyoureadingthis?

Quote:
Gtfo haha
Old 07-08-2013, 01:12 PM   #13
Skinkwerks Rockware & Fabrication!!
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cannon Crew Member
Name: Brady
BradyT88's Tacoma Gallery
n0rth runs a 12.50 on a 7" wheel without issue that I am aware of. Granted I don't think he is overly concerned with the center wear and he now has some smaller tires that he DD's.

Old 07-08-2013, 01:43 PM   #15
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
His arent 12.5s. He has never run 12.5s I thought..all tall and skinny??
They are 36x12.50's they just have a narrow tread like KM2's. Mine are 10" wide tire but the tread is only 7" wide.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:48 PM   #17

Quote:
Oh..thought they were 36x10 or 11s
Nope. I have yet to find a tire larger than a 35 that is skinnier than a 12.50. They just don't exist. haha. Except for the 255/100R16, which is extremely rare. (it's a 36x10)
Old 07-08-2013, 01:52 PM   #18
Boone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Boone Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradyT88 View Post
Nope. I have yet to find a tire larger than a 35 that is skinnier than a 12.50. They just don't exist. haha. Except for the 255/100R16, which is extremely rare. (it's a 36x10)
Whole slew of Swampers out there.
http://www.intercotire.com/tires.php?id=10
Old 07-08-2013, 01:56 PM   #19
‹^› ‹(ಠ_ಠ)› ‹^›
NYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: bOb
NYCO's Tacoma Gallery
^which is what he runs
Old 07-08-2013, 01:56 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boone Taco View Post
Whole slew of Swampers out there.
http://www.intercotire.com/tires.php?id=10
No there isn't... That is where I first looked... They make a few 35x10's and such, but everything 36+ is 12.50+...