Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

How effective is a winch off Road?

Old 07-09-2013, 07:48 AM   #21
I am the one who knocks
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaBeinhart View Post
and here is my question: How effective is a winch in snow, mud or ditch on a Tacoma? What is your experience on winches? It is worth it? The Grill guard with winch will wreck your gas/mpg ratio?
Like any tool, a winch is only as effective as the person handling it. Learn to operate it well, and safely, and it will save your ass. My experience with winches is extensive. Go Warn or go home.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:10 AM   #22
VA6DCO
IgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
IgnorantlyAlberta's Tacoma Gallery
Got a warn M8000 front and back. Used more times than I can remember for various situations.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:43 AM   #23
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TJ
skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by IgnorantlyAlberta View Post
Got a warn M8000 front and back. Used more times than I can remember for various situations.
Do you have any pics or a build so I can see your rear winch set up?
Old 07-09-2013, 10:32 AM   #24
VA6DCO
IgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidooman View Post
Do you have any pics or a build so I can see your rear winch set up?
How effective is a winch off Road?-my-pics-038.jpg
Road armor bumper. Couldn't find any other rears with a winch option for the Tacoma. (didn't look very hard after I found this one).
Old 07-10-2013, 08:50 AM   #25
Independant Thinker
Lumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Lumpskie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaBeinhart View Post
How effective is a winch in snow, mud or ditch on a Tacoma? What is your experience on winches? It is worth it? The Grill guard with winch will wreck your gas/mpg ratio?

Folks - I appreciate every input - thanks!
I think that a winch bumper is a great idea, expecially seeing that you live in BC. Down here in Colorado, 90% for my winching has been in deep snow. In that kind of situation, it's an incredibly valuable tool. Up in BC, like here, you usually have lots of options for winch anchor points (trees usually) and will have lots of opportunities to get bogged down in snow. I'd say, ideally, go with a winch compatible bumper, a name brand winch and the ARB recovery kit as well. The kit has a winch extension strap, a kinetic recovery strap, a snatch block, shackles and even gloves. As you can see from some of the pictures above, you'll probably end up using some or all of these during your winching operations.

As far as gas milieage goes, I didn't notice much of a difference when I upgraded from my stock bumper. It's definately a smaller difference than going with bigger tires.

On another note, I built my bumper with what I call a "winch relocation plate". I can remove my winch from the front by simply removing 4 shear pins. When I build my rear bumper, it will accept this plate so that I can run the winch in either the front or the rear. If you are a fabricator, this would be a cheaper option than running 2 winches. Just food for thought...

Hope some of this helps, and it sounds like you're on the right track with the other comments on here.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:43 PM   #26
VA6DCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpskie View Post
I think that a winch bumper is a great idea, expecially seeing that you live in BC. Down here in Colorado, 90% for my winching has been in deep snow. In that kind of situation, it's an incredibly valuable tool. Up in BC, like here, you usually have lots of options for winch anchor points (trees usually) and will have lots of opportunities to get bogged down in snow. I'd say, ideally, go with a winch compatible bumper, a name brand winch and the ARB recovery kit as well. The kit has a winch extension strap, a kinetic recovery strap, a snatch block, shackles and even gloves. As you can see from some of the pictures above, you'll probably end up using some or all of these during your winching operations.

As far as gas milieage goes, I didn't notice much of a difference when I upgraded from my stock bumper. It's definately a smaller difference than going with bigger tires.

On another note, I built my bumper with what I call a "winch relocation plate". I can remove my winch from the front by simply removing 4 shear pins. When I build my rear bumper, it will accept this plate so that I can run the winch in either the front or the rear. If you are a fabricator, this would be a cheaper option than running 2 winches. Just food for thought...

Hope some of this helps, and it sounds like you're on the right track with the other comments on here.
I did consider using a removable plate idea, though when you slide beside an obstruction and cannot placce said winch you can have issues.
Nevermind the money. It's the weight save you'll get the advantage from.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:06 PM   #27
Independant Thinker
Lumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Lumpskie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by IgnorantlyAlberta View Post
I did consider using a removable plate idea, though when you slide beside an obstruction and cannot placce said winch you can have issues.
Nevermind the money. It's the weight save you'll get the advantage from.
True and true. I haven't run into a situation where I wouldn't be able to relocate the winch, but I'm sure I'll run into it in the future. What situation are you thinking of?
Old 07-11-2013, 12:07 AM   #28
TacomaBeinhart is on a distinguished road
TacomaBeinhart's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks a lot to everyone's Ideas and Pics - awesome! I will get a receiver hitch mounted winch, thats my way to go. Able to use the winch rear and at front, so I can rescue my self in basic situations. Up here in BC canada , there is unfortunately no front trailer hitch kit available for the new Tacoma 2013, not yet
skidooman, you white truck looks so cool - nice!
Any one got some experience with the Warn VR series? these are entry level, and the guy from Lordco autoparts said , the VR series , in my case Im looking into the VR 10000, will do the job!
http://www.warn.com/truck/winches/VR10000_winch.shtml
These VR winch is half price than the XD once - there must be a reason for this difference......