1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How effective is a winch off Road?

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by TacomaBeinhart, Jul 5, 2013.

1. Jul 5, 2013 at 12:46 PM
    TacomaBeinhart

TacomaBeinhart [OP] Member

Member:
    Victoria,BC
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD
    Hi Folks, I just got my first Tacoma 2013 TRD :) it is still shiny , but not for long..... haha, Mostly I'm back country for fishing and hunting....
    Would like to get some advice for tuning the truck! Will set up the box with a canopy and sleeping platform with a kitchen cupboard inside!
    Looking into getting a grill guard with winch... and here is my question: How effective is a winch in snow, mud or ditch on a Tacoma? What is your experience on winches? It is worth it? The Grill guard with winch will wreck your gas/mpg ratio:(?
    I did some research online, and the cable is not really long - so will need an extra heavy rope or cable - and than in the field - the winch is really capable to pull you out? the variety to customize my Truck up here in BC is not very big. And Shipping from the States is always a hassle.
    there is a picture of one Idea- what do you think ? Folks - I appreciate every input - thanks!

PB070005.jpg

2. Jul 5, 2013 at 12:52 PM
    xaqori

xaqori Grammer knotsy

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    Marietta, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 Limo
    ARB lockers and 4.88s front and rear, OME 886s, Dakars, etc., Safari Snorkel, 17"Fuel Revolvers w/ 35x12.50r17 KM2s, fenders cut 3" all around, Pioneer AVH-P4400BH w/ Backup cam, CB/PA (PA Installed), Weathertech Digis, Foglight anytime, AP: front bumper, skids, and pack rack, custom sliders, Warn 9.5XP, dual VIAIR 480Cs with a 2.5gal tank, OTRATTW switches galore, URD y-pipe, RCI skids, LF 240s, etc.
    If you have a good winch and bumper, you'll be fine. It can most likely pull you out of any problem (heed the "mot likely" as a warning) with a good, solid anchor point - like a think tree or another vehicle. If you really need an extension to the winch cable (which you probably won't), invest in good tow straps and shackles.

3. Jul 5, 2013 at 12:55 PM
    xaqori

xaqori Grammer knotsy

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    Marietta, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 Limo
    ARB lockers and 4.88s front and rear, OME 886s, Dakars, etc., Safari Snorkel, 17"Fuel Revolvers w/ 35x12.50r17 KM2s, fenders cut 3" all around, Pioneer AVH-P4400BH w/ Backup cam, CB/PA (PA Installed), Weathertech Digis, Foglight anytime, AP: front bumper, skids, and pack rack, custom sliders, Warn 9.5XP, dual VIAIR 480Cs with a 2.5gal tank, OTRATTW switches galore, URD y-pipe, RCI skids, LF 240s, etc.
    And welcome to the forum!:wave:

4. Jul 5, 2013 at 12:57 PM
    medic2230

medic2230 @Koditten Pirate Radio member #002

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Bama! Roll Tide
    Vehicle:
    2011 Taco 4x4 DCLB 2019 TRD PRO 4runner 2018 RAM 2500 mega cab
    20% Tint, OME 3"complete lift with Dakar's, Light Racing UCA's, 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 10 HP TW sticker, Ultraguage, B.A.M.F. Rock Sliders, MedicFab Bed Rack, Relentless front bumper, Air Flow Snorkel, Ham comms, Tech Deck
    Well when your stuck its very effective. Welcome to TW!!!

5. Jul 5, 2013 at 1:06 PM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    Well... I kinda feel like if you need to ask this question you may not need a winch. Or when you need a winch you'll know it and maybe wish you had it and then buy it. Why do you think people have winches, yes they're effective.

Most cables run 100', that's usually enough but once in a while you may need more. You should carry straps too anyway so problem solved. Then you'll need shackles and a snatch block and a tree strap.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  6. Jul 5, 2013 at 1:07 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    In capable hands, and when properly rigged, a winch is a very effective tool.

7. Jul 5, 2013 at 1:10 PM
    92shawman

92shawman Person

Member:
    First Name:
    K
    The Americas
    Vehicle:
    1992 Toyota Pickup
    Lots...see build
    Long story short: yes
    I have a smittybilt XRC-8 8000lb winch in an ARB front bumper on my 92 pickup.
    I have been snow-wheeling before where there was a stuck tacoma and I winched him out piece of cake. Needed to play around with the winching angles but once we got it right it pulled him out very easily. I've also been wheeling up a steep, sandy hill and my buddy in a double cab short bed behind me was slowly sliding sideways on the hill so I winched him up that, more for security, making sure he didn't roll, but it worked really well there, too.
    If you do decide get a winch, definitely do your research. If you search the XRC-8 you'll find some threads reporting issues with the solenoid, which needs to be sealed. I'm not sure what problems other winches have, but that's for you to research! :)
    Also, be sure to purchase at least two d-ring shackles, perhaps a snatch block to double the pulling power and change angles, a tree strap, and maybe a chain to wrap rocks.
    Also, in my opinion you should get a synthetic winch line. I bought an 85' Amsteel blue line and it's about 35 lbs lighter than my 90' steel line that came with the winch. They're also safer because if they break they just fall down whereas a steel line snaps back. There are a few youtube videos showing this, if you want to look it up.
    I hope that helps you! And welcome to Tacomaworld! :wave:

8. Jul 5, 2013 at 1:16 PM
    Benson X

Benson X My build thread sucks...

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    '11 MGM DC/LB
    If you don't draw blood, you're doing it wrong!
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  9. Jul 5, 2013 at 3:17 PM
    skidooman

skidooman I'm your huckleberry

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Northern Nevada
    Vehicle:
    19 Taco
    Kings, JBA, BAMF, C4, Deaver, Prinsu, TJM, SnugTop, 5.29s
    Benson, those pics are so sketchy.

OP-Welcome!
    As far as mileage and aftermarket bumpers. While it will affect it some, it wont completely wreck it. I dont wheel hard like a lot of these guys, but the extra protection(bumper), and that peace of mind when wheeling in the deep snow that comes in the late hunting seasons is worth it to me. I would rather have spent the extra money for the winch than have to walk miles out for help in a couple feet of snow in sub freezing temps. My dad has had a winch on his '72 GMC since he bought the truck in 1980. He's used it half a dozen times to get himself out. It's been use countless times to get others out. Here's a few threads to check out to see if you really want to go that route.
    Happy wheeling!
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/164975-bumpers-2nd-gens-only.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/off-roading-trails/263278-show-us-your-winches-not-your-wives.html

10. Jul 5, 2013 at 3:22 PM
    CASTRATE

CASTRATE Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gabe
    SW of Tulsa, OK
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4 SR5 6spd
    I haven't noticed a decrease in fuel mileage at all since installing my bumper and winch. Wrecker can get VERY expensive, and take a while to get to you.( if they're even wiiling to go into nasty shit). A winch is a must have IMO

11. Jul 6, 2013 at 10:59 AM
    TacomaBeinhart

Member:
    Victoria,BC
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD
    Hi everyone and thanks a lot for all post's :) and helpful links!
    skidoomann and Shawmann thanks for you detailed info's !
    After seeing all these pics and video clips - the winch makes sense, special beeing off road in snowy condition.
    The synthetic winch line sounds very interesting, thanks for this tip!
    Some articles about synthetic line saying that the big downside is : using the brake to much-the line can melt on the reel ?? anybody experienced this problem? And you all folks are using electric winches?

I really like the ARB Bumper:) will check how to get it up here in BC

oky- more research and more fun :)

12. Jul 6, 2013 at 2:10 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Never experienced 'burning' of the synthetic on an electric winch. I would leave two full wraps around the drum (entire length) for strength, prevent slippage, and overall safety. If the rope is kept clean & spooled properly after each usage - it'll last you a long time.

I think - in terms of heat - You read about winches where the 'brake' is inside the drum (and/or part of the drum) which will create heat.

Synthetic is the way to go. Much safer, easier to handle, and lighter. Get a Hawse fairlead (NOT roller fairlead) and make sure your battery is up to par for the extra power the winch needs.

DO NOT install a winch on a brush guard. Get a replacement bumper that accepts a winch.

How effective is it? Depends on how bad you need it.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2013
  13. Jul 6, 2013 at 4:52 PM
    lowcountrytj

lowcountrytj Third Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phillip
    Probably at Work
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB TRD SPORT "BLACKOUT"
    I have always had a winch up until this point(but will have another soon). I know its cliche but it's better to have than have not. If ya plan on going through anything you second guess , then yeah get one.
    Worth two times its worth and more if ya need it.:)

14. Jul 7, 2013 at 12:12 PM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s

'melting'

It does happen, some winches have external brakes to prevent this, doesn't seem to be a huge issue if you're cautious about powering out. Many manufacturers do or can provide a sleeve to put on the first layer of rope.

There are roller fairleads with Delrin rollers, which are safe to use with Synthetic lines. Another thing to consider is that some synthetics are very picky about the radius of snatch blocks, as well never used a syn line on a pulley/sheave/snatchblock/fairlead that has seen use from a wire rope.

15. Jul 8, 2013 at 2:56 AM
    TacomaBeinhart

Member:
    Victoria,BC
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD
    yes the brush guard they looking pretty flimsy for handling a winch. I really like the look of my tacoma front:) went out off road this weekend, to get a feeling for this truck - I'm impressed in a good way. There is a mounting Kit available for a hidden winch... so I can keep the original bumper. Just the center will be replaced! You think thats enough mount for the winch?
    http://truckammo.com/i-10089112-trans4mer-winch-mount-kit-warn-89125.html
    http://undercoverhwms.com/wp/
    I would appreciate any comments on these sites!

16. Jul 8, 2013 at 4:13 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Warm makes some nice stuff but I'm not familiar with the transformer. I'm at the airport and can't research easily.

You'll have to research your options/cost. Replacement bumpers will give you a higher approach angle than keeping your stock bumper. Just something to think about.

If you're looking to keep the stock bumper, I would look into front & rear hitches. Get a winch on a receiver that you can use on the front or rear of the truck. Keep the winch on the inside of the truck until you need it.

Don't forget... You shouldn't go off road alone. A winch is not a cure all. If you go off road with another vehicle, a couple tow straps can get you unstuck in basic situations.

17. Jul 8, 2013 at 10:13 AM
    Benson X

Benson X My build thread sucks...

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    '11 MGM DC/LB
    If you don't draw blood, you're doing it wrong!
    This thread has a ton of good info in it, if you are looking to go with the "Hidden" option. Good luck! :thumbsup:
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/off-roading-trails/284089-stock-bumper-winch.html

18. Jul 8, 2013 at 8:43 PM
    TacomaBeinhart

Member:
    Victoria,BC
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD
    thanks Janster for your detailed comments, I appreciate it! I'm always just by my self outdoors, and I know the winch is NOT the "almighty" cure, I'm aware of that! As beeing Mr. fifty and always in the woods( had a VW syncro Bus for years - did all repairs, engine and transmission overhaul by myself-and traveled a lot through north sweden) , but this is my first Pick up truck- went out this weekend to play with , just get some basic ideas about clearance and getting a feeling - so much fun ...
    oky - the replacement bumpers I don't really like them , I like the look off the original bumper....
    There are some HiddenWinchMounting Kits out there for warn winches, the 8000 one - what do you think about these frame connection?

http://undercoverhwms.com/wp/

Your Idea for the hitch winch connection is completely new to me and definitly worth digging into...

Why is the approach angle with replacment bumpers better ?
    Sorry for my newby-questions!
    I've got the first scratches and mud on my new tacoma in the woods on the last weekend - I'm totally happy about my Tac

19. Jul 8, 2013 at 11:11 PM
    mr2mki

mr2mki Well-Known Member

Member:
    Because they typically cut away the lower front corner of the bumper.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Compare to stock:

[​IMG]

Can you visualize why aftermarket bumper has a higher approach angle? (Do you know what approach angle is? Think of it as when driving up a really steep driveway, and your bumper scrapes)

Last edited: Jul 8, 2013
  20. Jul 9, 2013 at 6:37 AM
    skidooman

skidooman I'm your huckleberry

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Northern Nevada
    Vehicle:
    19 Taco
    Kings, JBA, BAMF, C4, Deaver, Prinsu, TJM, SnugTop, 5.29s
    Receiver hitch mounted winch is great, because if you need to get out backwards, you can. here is a pic of my truck also showing improved approach angle. I drug the front stock bumper a few times. Haven't even come close to touching this one.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 9, 2013

Products Discussed in

To Top