Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

how vital is locker

Old 07-05-2013, 08:36 PM   #1
1546 is on a distinguished road
1546's Tacoma Gallery
how vital is locker

about to get an 2007 DC TRD sport. My only hold up is the no locker thing. lLease advise. The only place I go that might be a problem is a gravel boat ramp. I have never seen anybody unable to get up it but I don't want to be the first. Is LSD enough in most situations or should I hold out for trd off road so I get the locker. If it matters its an 07 with 75 k miles for $20K
Old 07-05-2013, 08:41 PM   #2
TCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TCprerunner's Tacoma Gallery
If it becomes a problem buy a after market locker will work better anyways but you should be fine on a gravel boat ramp my truck is not locked and only 2 wheel drive and only time I have gotten stuck is on a really steep rock hill with loose slate
Old 07-05-2013, 08:44 PM   #3
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2wkW05Pc6c

there's a part 2 as well

I wouldn't get too hung up on it unless you're getting into some pretty rough 4wd terrain
Old 07-06-2013, 12:53 PM   #5
Techy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTechy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTechy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTechy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTechy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTechy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTechy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTechy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTechy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTechy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTechy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Techy's Tacoma Gallery
I think you will be. Never had an issue on a boat ramp with just normal 4wd on the rough ones.
Old 07-06-2013, 12:58 PM   #6
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Yep. Overkill for your described usage. Of course, if you *want* the locker - well, that's another matter entirely. <evil>
Old 07-06-2013, 01:08 PM   #7
TCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TCprerunner's Tacoma Gallery
I want one.. But going cheap route and getting a lunch box and will deal with tire wear
Old 07-08-2013, 10:42 PM   #8
logan1992 is a glorious beacon of lightlogan1992 is a glorious beacon of lightlogan1992 is a glorious beacon of lightlogan1992 is a glorious beacon of lightlogan1992 is a glorious beacon of light

Name: logan
logan1992's Tacoma Gallery
if you don't wheel hard you don't need it. the real situation where a locker comes in handy is flexy stuff where you pull a wheel off the ground. if you wheel hard a locker is more important than lift and tires imo but if not than don't sweat it.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:23 AM   #9
otis24 is a splendid one to beholdotis24 is a splendid one to beholdotis24 is a splendid one to beholdotis24 is a splendid one to beholdotis24 is a splendid one to beholdotis24 is a splendid one to beholdotis24 is a splendid one to behold

otis24's Tacoma Gallery
I've used my locker several times. But like Logan1992 said it's only been in flexy situations where one wheel is off the ground or where the soil is super loose. It doesn't help I'm using General Grabber AW tires either. They kinda suck for off roading.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:05 PM   #10
FireSarge is on a distinguished road

Firefighter: Firefighter and USArmy Reserves SGT
Name: Aaron
FireSarge's Tacoma Gallery
If you want to climb and get twisted a locker is a must.

how vital is locker-getting-twisted-trd1-.jpghow vital is locker-img_3912.jpg

how vital is locker-img_3414.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
how vital is locker-almost-stuck-.jpg  
Old 07-12-2013, 02:10 PM   #11
Fivespeed is on a distinguished road
Navy: EN2
Fivespeed's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireSarge View Post
That's how you have fun in a 2013. And I thought I was crazy in my 2012
Old 07-12-2013, 03:06 PM   #12
spyduh is on a distinguished road
spyduh's Tacoma Gallery
if all you're doing is boat ramp then you'll not need a locker.

If your wheeling or trailing and in areas that you'll get stuck, buy a TRD with elocker.

Or buy the truck your're looking at and drive it. if you decide in the future to do wheeling/trailing add an ARB front and rear locker to the truck. Much better than the elocker imho. But LSD is good enough if you dont plan to do crazy stuff out in the middle of no where alone.
Old 07-12-2013, 03:15 PM   #13
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Locker isn't much a help on a boat ramp. If it's bad, you really should get a 4x4. Go youtube boatlaunch fails if you need convincing.

My locker has saved my ass many times. My Prerunner definitely will go places other 2wds will not. I would not have made it up that in my sig without my locker, or without my tires. An unlocked 2WD would have been screwed. That said, when I'm off roading, I'll have difficulty on places that my 4x4 companions will walk right through. A locker is helpful, but nothing replaces 4x4.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:06 AM   #15
bwanamukubwa is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
bwanamukubwa's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamillion2345 View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2wkW05Pc6c

there's a part 2 as well

I wouldn't get too hung up on it unless you're getting into some pretty rough 4wd terrain
Does the "yellow wire mod" perform the same way as the prado in part 2 where it "bites" and "unbites" or is it a smoother operation?
Old 07-23-2013, 05:30 AM   #16
Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwanamukubwa View Post
Does the "yellow wire mod" perform the same way as the prado in part 2 where it "bites" and "unbites" or is it a smoother operation?
Can anyone chime in on this please?
Old 07-23-2013, 07:41 AM   #17
barlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
barlowrs's Tacoma Gallery
You will be fine. I have run piles of black/double black diamond trails, including Gold Mountain, John Bull, etc in Big Bear with the stock mechanical LSD, a little E-brake love and it locks right up. Its more about line selection and driving than anything.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:43 AM   #18
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Get 4WD
Old 07-23-2013, 08:55 AM   #19
Firefighter:
I have a 4wd TRD sport, just trying to justify doing the mod. Maybe i'll just learn how to do it in case i'm stuck as a last resort since i'm still learning about the benefits of doing it.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:26 PM   #20
TheGoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGoat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
TheGoat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Get 4WD

yup