Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Two-Way Diff and T Case Breather MOD

Old 07-07-2013, 08:29 PM   #1
Frogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: On EOS duty
Name: Chris
Frogsauce's Tacoma Gallery
Two-Way Diff and T Case Breather MOD

I did my own version of the scuba breather mod based on these:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/off...-breather.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...od-photos.html

Big thanks to both for locations and ideas.

I ran the rear differential and transmission breathers up to the engine bay right behind the battery and extended the two breathers that were already relocated up there just a little further.

Parts:
- Toyota Part #90404-51026 (Camry Union Piece for Rear Diff)
- Specter Filters (Autozone/Advance Auto)
- 1/4" Fuel Line (little less than 15') and some hose clamps
- 1/8 x 1/4 x 1/4 'T' Barb Connector
- 3/8" x 1/4" Barb Connector

If you got an e-locker breather, your gonna need another 'T' to tie in the rear breather. I don't have one, so I can't give the info on that.

UPDATE: Before this mod, my diff oil had water in them after about 5k miles (or one hunting season). I just had a chance to check the fluid after this mod and it came out clean. I think another oil change after this hunting season will be enough evidence for me.

2ND UPDATE: 15k on this breather setup. Fluids still look like new. Filters look very clean too.

I also made a box out of a 4 gang electrical box from Lowes and used the breathers that Shadow-Warrior recommended (specter).

Old 07-07-2013, 08:44 PM   #2
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Believe other breather is for add actuator.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:22 AM   #3
Frogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Did I miss any breathers? Is the T-Case and Transmission the same breather?

I followed the transmission breather line and it looks like it connects to two spots. One is the transmission, the other looks like it could be the t-case.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:34 AM   #4
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Looks clean, what are those filters you are using?
Old 07-08-2013, 08:51 AM   #5
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Large View Post
Looks clean, what are those filters you are using?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogsauce View Post
I also made a box out of a 4 gang electrical box from Lowes and used the breathers that Shadow-Warrior recommended (specter).

autozone
Old 07-16-2013, 04:42 PM   #6
Mud Slinger
ferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Fernando
ferny's Tacoma Gallery
thats pretty badazz!
Old 09-18-2013, 05:50 AM   #7

I was able to change the diff oil yesterday to check it and test the two-way breather theory.

Before, my diff oils had water in them after about 5k miles (or one hunting season with water crossings). But this time it came out clean, and I even went further and more diff dunking on this oil than the last.

So it looks like the two-way breather helps release pressure from expand also, probably helping keep water out. I think another oil change after this hunting season will be enough evidence for me.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:21 PM   #9
I love snow!
chipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Girdwood Fire Department
Name: Anna
chipnoreo's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good! Might have to do this in addition to my rear diff relocate
Old 10-13-2013, 05:57 PM   #10
x2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

x2468's Tacoma Gallery
When you say ADD, are you talking about the t-case... or something else?
Old 10-15-2013, 04:10 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2468 View Post
When you say ADD, are you talking about the t-case... or something else?
Automatic Disconnect Differential

I didn't even know it had a breather until I started poking around.
Old 10-16-2013, 04:11 AM   #12
x2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

x2468's Tacoma Gallery
I need to find a schematic of this.... i always thought the ADD components were inside the front diff...
Old 04-02-2014, 07:39 PM   #13
          
skygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skygear's Tacoma Gallery
so how many Toyota parts did you order?

2 unions? I did not see a parts list in the OP.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:41 AM   #14

I updated it with a parts list.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:19 PM   #15
          
skygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skygear's Tacoma Gallery
Nice.