1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Should I wheel my truck without sliders

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by Marcoc, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Jul 22, 2013 at 6:46 PM
    Marcoc

Marcoc [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Off-Road LB
    2017 Tacoma TRD OR LB white w/tech package
    I have taken my 2010 TRD DC SB with 32" GY Duratracs and 2.5" lift on some mild, stockish friendly trails up in NH. The trails had minor obstacles that required 4 low and a bit of ground clearance. Just wondering about people's opinions if I decided to take my truck on more challenging trails that require 32" and small lift minimum without any armor. Pretty much my truck is a daily driver that is my work truck, baby transport, and I also take good care of it and wash and wax it very regularly. I enjoy driving it off road and checking out the nice scenery and just relaxing but I don't want crazy trail use like I use to do in my 2004 Wrangler Rubicon, it was expensive, and kept breaking shit. I guess my question after all the backround info is should I take the truck on more challenging trails without any rock sliders or other required trail armor? Sorry for the long intro to a basic question :).

2. Jul 22, 2013 at 6:48 PM
    MGMTacolover55

MGMTacolover55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orygun
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM Taco TRD Off Road
    floor Mats
    Depends on the terrain I mean if has a ton of rocks and trees then sliders and skids are a must

3. Jul 22, 2013 at 6:49 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    sounds like you already know the answer.

4. Jul 22, 2013 at 6:50 PM
    worthywads

worthywads Well-Known Member

Member:
    Peoples Republic of Boulder
    Vehicle:
    05 5-lug access I4 Stick, 70 Challenger Vert
  5. Jul 23, 2013 at 5:09 PM
    StickShifty

StickShifty Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC 4WD 6SPD
    i dont have sliders, yet. but i know my limits and either turn around or choose a different line if it looks like i will bottom out.

depends on what your wheeling over and how aggressive you get. they cant hurt if you have the money for them.

6. Jul 23, 2013 at 5:18 PM
    evanmb31

evanmb31 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    Satoshi'd grill. blacked out badges. aftermarket sound system. De-chromed and color matched. OME 885s + Dakars with 3rd leaf removed. LR UCAs. Scs stealth 6 with 285 duratracs. BAMF sliders
    Sliders are worth the money IMO, they make you feel a little safer on the trail even if you dont use them. There is a member from NH who is selling his trail gear sliders and hi lift for really cheap, http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/no...y-sell-tacoma-marketplace-36.html#post7195988
    There is actually another local member who is working on getting some all-pro apex sliders bedlined or powedercoated i think that he is selling if your pockets are a little deeper haha.
    Now your ganna have to tell me where these more challenging trails are in CT :D head over to the New england BS thread if you wanna talk to the guys who have sliders for sale.

Products Discussed in

To Top