Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Colorado High Country Trip 8/23-8/25

Old 07-30-2013, 01:45 PM   #1
Because 4R
Wishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
Wishbone Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Colorado High Country Trip 8/23-8/25

*I posted this in the CO upcoming events thread, but in the interest of seeing if anyone outside of the state is intrigued, I will post here as well*

So, in the effort to try to run a bunch of trails that I have been wanting to get out on, I am going to attempt to get a run together, hopefully I can get some folks interested in this run.

When: Friday 8/23 – Sunday 8/25
Where: Summit and Park County Trails including Deer Creek, Swan River, Wheeler Lake, Crystal Lake, Georgia or Boreas Pass, Webster Pass and Red Cone
Recommended Equipment: 32” tires, skids and sliders

High Country exploring! The snow has finally melted and all of these trails are accessible, trails range from easy dirt roads (Georgia Pass), steep shelf roads (Red Cone) to fairly difficult crawling (Wheeler Lake). Join on all or some of the trails to see some of the best scenery Colorado has to offer.

Proposed schedule:

Friday afternoon, 8/23
Head up 70 and run Deer Creek over to Swan River and camp somewhere along Swan River Friday night. These are fairly mellow trails that a stock truck should be able to easily handle.

Deer Creek: http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=378
Swan River: http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=114

Saturday, 8/24
Pack up camp and head over to Wheeler Lake, anyone not wanting to run Friday afternoon could meet at the Wheeler trailhead Saturday morning. This would be the hardest trail of the trip, I have not personally run it, but think it should be doable with 32’s and skids/sliders and good driving skills, others that have run it could chime in on this. Run the trail, hang out at the lake and then head back down and over to Crystal Lake. Crystal lake is an easier trail, and my thoughts were to run up to the lake and then camp somewhere near the lake or further down the trail near tree line, depending on the weather.

Wheeler Lake: http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=40
Crystal Lake: http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=252

Sunday, 8/25
Head back to Breck and then either over Boreas or Georgia pass for a mellow scenic drive over to 285 and then over to Webster Pass trailhead. Head up Webster and branch off to run Red Cone, then back down Webster and back to 285.

Boreas Pass: http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=74
Georgia Pass: http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=75
Webster Pass: http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=50
Red Cone: http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=9

I am open to suggestions for alternate trails, the main trail for me to run and focus of the trip is to run Wheeler Lake, the rest of the trails should be easier and very scenic. I will update with attendance and additional details as needed.

Attendance:
1. Wishbone Runner
2. Squeaky Penguin (Breck Sat. AM)
3. HOJeepster
4. NYCO (Crystal Sat. Night)

Meeting times and places:

8/23: 4 pm @ HWY 6 and Hwy 93; 39.753731,-105.239792

8/24: 9:30 am @ Loaf n' Jug in Breck; 440 N Park Ave, Breckenridge, CO.
3 pmish @ Cystal Lakes trail head; 39.43716,-106.050573

8/25: 10:30 am @ parking lot up Hall Valley, near Red Cone trail head; 39.482175,-105.79348

Old 08-01-2013, 07:15 PM   #2
Independant Thinker
Lumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Lumpskie's Tacoma Gallery
Looks like fun. Put me in the lurker column. This trip will depend on my new suspension setup being installed.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:23 PM   #3
McBuckets
RockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Noah
RockyMtnTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I wish
Old 08-01-2013, 09:05 PM   #4
"young Brett"
Squeaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
Squeaky Penguin's Tacoma Gallery
I'm interested.

Any other feedback on whether my 265/75's will get me up wheeler lake?
Old 08-02-2013, 07:19 AM   #6
Because 4R
Wishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpskie View Post
Looks like fun. Put me in the lurker column. This trip will depend on my new suspension setup being installed.
Done, what are your plans for suspension?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnTRD View Post
I wish
When you get your licence back? Sept?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky Penguin View Post
I'm interested.
I threw you in the going list, now you are committed!
Old 08-02-2013, 07:23 AM   #7
Because 4R

Quote:
Any other feedback on whether my 265/75's will get me up wheeler lake?
Quote:
^Your 265s should be fine, even on the harder lines.
You have a locker too if I recall, no?
Old 08-02-2013, 07:42 AM   #8
Independant Thinker
Lumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Lumpskie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishbone Runner View Post
Done, what are your plans for suspension?
I ordered up a new main leaf, support leaf and shackles to support Orbit Eye bushings, from Alcan. My suspension binds up on droop and I'm hoping this will solve my problem. The should be done in 2-3 weeks
Old 08-02-2013, 07:42 AM   #9
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
I remember doing Wheelers in my stock Tacoma (31s) when the suspension wasn't completely shot to hell... it was a very very challenging trail IIRC.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:47 AM   #10
Because 4R

Quote:
I ordered up a new main leaf, support leaf and shackles to support Orbit Eye bushings, from Alcan. My suspension binds up on droop and I'm hoping this will solve my problem. The should be done in 2-3 weeks
Gotcha. Good luck with the swap, hope you can get it done and join us.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:28 AM   #11
"young Brett"
Squeaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I didn't realize you like me that much James.....

And yes, I have a locker, so it looks like I have no excuses.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:55 AM   #12
Because 4R

Quote:
I didn't realize you like me that much James.....

And yes, I have a locker, so it looks like I have no excuses.
:mancrush:
Old 08-02-2013, 04:41 PM   #13
"young Brett"

Well, to be fair... What's there not to like?
Old 08-02-2013, 05:27 PM   #14
HOJeepster is on a distinguished road
HOJeepster's Tacoma Gallery
Sweet. I'm down. My buddy with a lifted Tacoma might join as well.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:09 PM   #15
Because 4R

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOJeepster View Post
Sweet. I'm down. My buddy with a lifted Tacoma might join as well.
Cool, and welcome to the dark side, TW

Checkout the CO events and BS thread for other CO happenings as well, a lot more local folk on here than T120.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sou...-s-thread.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sou...do-events.html
Old 08-02-2013, 07:20 PM   #16
McBuckets
RockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Noah
RockyMtnTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishbone Runner View Post
When you get your licence back? Sept?
Yezzir!
Old 08-05-2013, 02:47 PM   #18
Because 4R

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS78 View Post
Im a lurker for the 8/25 run up redcone!!!! I would just have to meet somewhere that morning
Added, it was a fun run on the Cone yesterday, beautiful up there.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:56 AM   #19
Because 4R

Friday bump, 2 weeks.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:01 AM   #20
‹^› ‹(ಠ_ಠ)› ‹^›
NYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: bOb
NYCO's Tacoma Gallery
so i'll be at the toytec shindig the 24th during the day....would still love to get up there for the last half of this...

so i'll see what i can do about meeting you up at crystal then make the return trip...