1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Squealing on cold start

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by Bartaco, Aug 8, 2013.

1. Aug 8, 2013 at 1:14 PM
    Bartaco

Bartaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    Red extra cab 6 cyl with chip,gibson flowma
    Bilstein 5100 series ,uniball uca's,3" lift kit ,extra leaf, Gibson exhaust.limited slip rear, six lug,lock out hubs,K&N air cleaner sysytem
    I'm getting a nasty squeal ( like a belt) on cold starts only,once it's warm ..nothing. Changed the forward (power steering) belt and I get the same thing.
    Lasts about 5 seconds but its loud and obnoxious...anyone?

2. Aug 8, 2013 at 1:18 PM
    PCTaco

PCTaco 36 hour Build

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    New Columbia, PA
    Vehicle:
    '18 Access Cab TRD Offroad RIP '13
    Working on it
    Sounds like a serpentine.

3. Aug 8, 2013 at 2:24 PM
    obscurotron

obscurotron Well-Known Member

Member:
    N. Nevada
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCSB 4x4
    Too many to list, and I've probably forgotten a bunch.
    OP, sounds to me like you've got a pre-2005 V6 (also based on your avatar pic), correct?

If so, there is an easy way to find out which belt is causing the noise (if any). Rub a little bit of *bar* soap on one of the belts, on as much of the inside surface and the sides as you reasonably can. Start truck. If no noise, you got the right belt. If noise, repeat with the other belt(s).

Bar soap won't hurt the belts or pulleys and it's a trick an old mechanic showed me for isolating ongoing pulley vs. belt noise (just watch your fingers if you try to apply it after the truck is running!)

WD-40 can be used too, but it's a bit messy. Pretty much any old regular bar of soap will do, except Lava soap.

If you do this, and the noise persists, it's likely not a belt. But try this first and report back. :D

4. Aug 8, 2013 at 3:24 PM
    Bartaco

Bartaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    Red extra cab 6 cyl with chip,gibson flowma
    Bilstein 5100 series ,uniball uca's,3" lift kit ,extra leaf, Gibson exhaust.limited slip rear, six lug,lock out hubs,K&N air cleaner sysytem
    Thanks man,already changed the outter (power steering) belt and no change.
    Yes that's the motor you mentioned 01,3.4 v6. It's really tough to get soap on the inner belt while truck is running sure to lose a digit or two,I am at least.ill try a little WD.but I'm starting to think it the bearing in the power steering pump.

5. Aug 8, 2013 at 4:13 PM
    Karma Coma

Karma Coma Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    tacoma sr5.3.4 v-6
    six inch fabtech lift, 315-75-16 tires,
    I had the same issue...there is tensioner pulley underneath the power steering pump it comes loose and that's what causes the squeak I tighten it and the squeal was gone

TaCComa likes this.
  6. Aug 8, 2013 at 5:48 PM
    Dirty Pool

Dirty Pool FLIES ON THE FRIES, KETCHUPS WATERED DOWN

Member:
    59.4 Miles, 56.67° NE Of Moab
    Vehicle:
    99 XCAB V6 MT TRD
    Dirty Pool rear bumper/air tank with integrated spare CV shaft storage, DP customized TJM front bumper, 8000 lb Ramsey/Technora rope, E-locked, Extended breathers with front diff catch can, PCV catch can, SAWs with DP heim joint seals, DP custom 6 leaf rear springs/Billies, DP custom skids, 2lo, Gray wire, Cap, Bed Rug, Black steelies, 01 Center console, Map lights, Disraeli gears
    More folks with potential help might see this thread if it was in the "1st Gen Tacoma" section.

Anyhoo, on the V6, after checking the belts and the AC idler pulley under the PS pump, a semi common "cold start only" squeak that sounds exactly like a belt, can come from what Toyota calls the "fan Support Bracket". It's a casting holding the bearing/shaft that the radiator fan/fan clutch spins on. It is sometimes called a "false water pump" because it looks kinda like a water pump. Usually this squeak/squeal happens on colder mornings in winter. As time goes by it does get worse and happens at increasingly warmer temps.
    A mechanics stethoscope is the best tool to use. Put the tip right on the casting as close to the inner pulley as possible, you will have to be quick.
    You can improvise this tool very effectively with a long screwdriver. Put the tip on the casting and your ear to the handle. The internal sounds will be telegraphed to your ear quite clearly. This technique can be used to "listen" to all kinds of stuff (hint), like alternator bearings or the fascinating slurp of a PS pump.

A perfectly good stethoscope can be had for about $5 at Harbor Freight and worth every penny.

Should the fan support be the problem do not get one from a dealer. Toyota only sells it as an assembly that includes a fan clutch, the pulleys and the bracket (everything in the top pic) for better than $400. The bracket can increasingly be had by itself through aftermarket parts houses that sell Aisin parts for around $125. You will get what is shown in pic #2, but all pressed together. Absolutely DO NOT by a Chinese knock off under any circumstances.

The bracket can be taken apart but the actual bearing itself is a proprietary Aisin part that is just not available.

EDIT, link for obtaining just the bracket
    http://www.macautoparts.net/ProductInfo.aspx?id=5990799

From the Dirty Pool of visual aids, here's a few pics.
    FANBKT2_e4720d38e662e0dd52400e6c71ec77b3464270e5.jpg
    FANBKT1_6811052e7a5c802e8df649a071924b02ce2cc83c.jpg
    FANBKT3_5948985a334d61688bf4412cc67341e7f20b211a.jpg

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
    Geneyota and barnaby like this.
  7. Aug 9, 2019 at 2:24 PM
    barnaby

barnaby Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Vehicle:
    2004 3.4 TRD 5spd
    3" lift, 5100 all four corners. AAL. 285/75.
    Sorry to revive an old thread like this, but I think I might have this same issue. I'm attaching a video if this helps narrow it down.

I have, on some mornings a high pitched squeel that sounds like a belt, but a quick punch of the throttle makes it go away.

Most recently (yesterday), I washed the engine with simple green, and this constant rhythmic chirping has been the result, aside from the clean engine :D.

I don't know if it's visible in the video, but the pulleys attached to this support bracket have a pretty good wobble as well.

https://youtu.be/SjQwB5rb_9Q

8. Aug 9, 2019 at 3:03 PM
    Dirty Pool

Dirty Pool FLIES ON THE FRIES, KETCHUPS WATERED DOWN

Member:
    59.4 Miles, 56.67° NE Of Moab
    Vehicle:
    99 XCAB V6 MT TRD
    Dirty Pool rear bumper/air tank with integrated spare CV shaft storage, DP customized TJM front bumper, 8000 lb Ramsey/Technora rope, E-locked, Extended breathers with front diff catch can, PCV catch can, SAWs with DP heim joint seals, DP custom 6 leaf rear springs/Billies, DP custom skids, 2lo, Gray wire, Cap, Bed Rug, Black steelies, 01 Center console, Map lights, Disraeli gears
    If I was in your shoes it would go something like this.
    Do the stethoscope thing, real or improvised. Check several spots. If the now amplified sound gets weaker further from the hub your on to something.
    Pull the belts one at a time to eliminate other sources. When they are all off grab the fan pulley stack. Rotate it, rock in all directions and feel for smooth operation.
    Bottom line, if it's making noise or has any play in any direction it's on it's way out.

Use only an Aisin replacement.

FWIW the FSB pictured in my OP was as smooth as silk, just squeaky.

Any of the bearings at the front of the engine from the water pump, timing belt pulleys, alternator, PS pump and the AC pulley/AC idler pulley could generate the sound, hence the need to do some "elimination".
    The little AC idler pulley is a common offender.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
    barnaby[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Aug 12, 2019 at 9:12 AM
    barnaby

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Vehicle:
    2004 3.4 TRD 5spd
    Thanks Dirty Pool. I listened with a long screw driver and couldn't locate the sound. The fan support bracket seemed pretty smooth. With the engine off, I grabbed the fan and tried to move it, up/down, left/right, and got nothing.

Starting to eliminate belts, I found it was the PS belt. So I'm doing all new belts. They don't look bad, replaced them when I bought the truck in 16, but they've got at least 40k on them.

The thing that has my concern with the fan support bracket is the apparrent wobble of the pulleys. No play at all, but the wobble/run out of the outer pulley is a couple millimeters. Figure this is causing the chirp. Not feeling any play, I'm curious if replacing the FSB would solve the wobble, of maybe it's the pulley itself?

10. Aug 13, 2019 at 1:06 PM
    jbrandt

jbrandt Made you look

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    El Dorado, CA (NOT El Dorado Hills)
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD Tacoma 4x4 DC
    Kings, J59's Total Chaos UCAs Custom skids Sticker mod
    even brand new belts will squeal if they aren't properly tensioned.

barnaby likes this.
  11. Aug 13, 2019 at 1:46 PM
    barnaby

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Vehicle:
    2004 3.4 TRD 5spd
    Agreed. They were pretty damned silent since I put them on 3+ years ago.

I'm thinking it's probably time for some new belts, keeping these as spares. Just want to address any other issues while I'm at it.

jbrandt[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Jun 5, 2021 at 11:08 AM
    TaCComa

TaCComa New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles Cc
    Vehicle:
    2005 Pre Tacoma
    Karma Coma nailed it with my squeal problem. I tightened both tensioners with both had play. Sound is ga ga gone!

Products Discussed in

To Top