Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Squealing on cold start

Old 08-08-2013, 01:14 PM   #1
Bartaco is just really niceBartaco is just really niceBartaco is just really niceBartaco is just really niceBartaco is just really nice

Name: Bill
Bartaco's Tacoma Gallery
Squealing on cold start

I'm getting a nasty squeal ( like a belt) on cold starts only,once it's warm ..nothing. Changed the forward (power steering) belt and I get the same thing.
Lasts about 5 seconds but its loud and obnoxious...anyone?
Old 08-08-2013, 01:18 PM   #2
PCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Adam
PCTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like a serpentine.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:24 PM   #3
obscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud of
obscurotron's Tacoma Gallery
OP, sounds to me like you've got a pre-2005 V6 (also based on your avatar pic), correct?

If so, there is an easy way to find out which belt is causing the noise (if any). Rub a little bit of *bar* soap on one of the belts, on as much of the inside surface and the sides as you reasonably can. Start truck. If no noise, you got the right belt. If noise, repeat with the other belt(s).

Bar soap won't hurt the belts or pulleys and it's a trick an old mechanic showed me for isolating ongoing pulley vs. belt noise (just watch your fingers if you try to apply it after the truck is running!)

WD-40 can be used too, but it's a bit messy. Pretty much any old regular bar of soap will do, except Lava soap.

If you do this, and the noise persists, it's likely not a belt. But try this first and report back.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:24 PM   #4
Bartaco is just really niceBartaco is just really niceBartaco is just really niceBartaco is just really niceBartaco is just really nice

Name: Bill
Bartaco's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks man,already changed the outter (power steering) belt and no change.
Yes that's the motor you mentioned 01,3.4 v6. It's really tough to get soap on the inner belt while truck is running sure to lose a digit or two,I am at least.ill try a little WD.but I'm starting to think it the bearing in the power steering pump.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:13 PM   #5
Karma Coma is on a distinguished road

Karma Coma's Tacoma Gallery
I had the same issue...there is tensioner pulley underneath the power steering pump it comes loose and that's what causes the squeak I tighten it and the squeal was gone
Old 08-08-2013, 05:48 PM   #6
POINT ONE %ER
Dirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Dirty Pool's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartaco View Post
I'm getting a nasty squeal ( like a belt) on cold starts only,once it's warm ..nothing. Changed the forward (power steering) belt and I get the same thing.
Lasts about 5 seconds but its loud and obnoxious...anyone?
More folks with potential help might see this thread if it was in the "1st Gen Tacoma" section.

Anyhoo, on the V6, after checking the belts and the AC idler pulley under the PS pump, a semi common "cold start only" squeak that sounds exactly like a belt, can come from what Toyota calls the "fan Support Bracket". It's a casting holding the bearing/shaft that the radiator fan/fan clutch spins on. It is sometimes called a "false water pump" because it looks kinda like a water pump. Usually this squeak/squeal happens on colder mornings in winter. As time goes by it does get worse and happens at increasingly warmer temps.
A mechanics stethoscope is the best tool to use. Put the tip right on the casting as close to the inner pulley as possible, you will have to be quick.
You can improvise this tool very effectively with a long screwdriver. Put the tip on the casting and your ear to the handle. The internal sounds will be telegraphed to your ear quite clearly. This technique can be used to "listen" to all kinds of stuff (hint), like alternator bearings or the fascinating slurp of a PS pump.

A perfectly good stethoscope can be had for about $5 at Harbor Freight and worth every penny.

Should the fan support be the problem do not get one from a dealer. Toyota only sells it as an assembly that includes a fan clutch, the pulleys and the bracket (everything in the top pic) for better than $400. The bracket can increasingly be had by itself through aftermarket parts houses that sell Aisin parts for around $125. You will get what is shown in pic #2, but all pressed together. Absolutely DO NOT by a Chinese knock off under any circumstances.

The bracket can be taken apart but the actual bearing itself is a proprietary Aisin part that is just not available.

EDIT, link for obtaining just the bracket
http://www.macautoparts.net/ProductInfo.aspx?id=5990799

From the Dirty Pool of visual aids, here's a few pics.