Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Prerunner on Rubicon Trail??

Old 08-14-2013, 11:01 AM   #21
the full Monty
Manwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Manwithoutaplan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildlandtaco View Post
Tempting hey Ryan you down haha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manwithoutaplan View Post
f_ _ _ that noise.
As I previous said. ^
Old 08-14-2013, 11:36 AM   #24
Independant Thinker
Lumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Lumpskie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDtrucks View Post
it is a dam shame they have destroyed that trail. that was one of the iconic 4x4 trails.

i have not been there, but after talking to people. even in its pussified state, minimum requirements to do the "easy" lines on the trail are 35s, one locker, and 4x4 of course. Also expect to break something and get body damage. Thats a given.

impossible in a 2wd. Not only do you only get the rear pushing you along, but you need lo range to get over obstacles and rocks. the benefit of 4wd is not only the extra axle with power, more so its the 4lo option that is even more crucial.
^This.

On the other hand... If you had a buddy with a build rig that could tow the 2wd over some nasty stuff slowly, you could maybe do it. (On 35s with a really flexy suspension)

If anyone on this board tries that, please take video!
Old 08-14-2013, 11:50 AM   #25
Just out for a rip are ya bud?
IDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
IDtrucks's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpskie View Post
^This.

On the other hand... If you had a buddy with a build rig that could tow the 2wd over some nasty stuff slowly, you could maybe do it. (On 35s with a really flexy suspension)

If anyone on this board tries that, please take video!
also note that the OP has a 2013...that 30,000 truck will NOT look the same coming out as it did going in
Old 08-14-2013, 03:50 PM   #26
RyanPowell is on a distinguished road
RyanPowell's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildlandtaco View Post
Tempting hey Ryan you down haha
Are you gonna tow me through half the trail? Haha
Old 08-14-2013, 04:57 PM   #27
Pabst Blue Ribbon on ice
BAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Edward
BAMFTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanPowell View Post
Are you gonna tow me through half the trail? Haha
I'm two wheel drive also but I can try
Old 08-16-2013, 03:08 PM   #28
Thomas Jefferson is on a distinguished road
Name: Derrick
Thomas Jefferson's Tacoma Gallery
Not a chance. I rode along with my friend in his lifted cj and that was hard enough. Not even a stock tacoma 4x4 would come close to getting over some rocky portions. At minimum you need a 6 inch lift with fat knobbies and thats with a very skilled driver. I would also have a winch, rock sliders and a large group.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:20 PM   #29
Running For Mayor of TW
richardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
richardbui23's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjmay View Post
Pick your lines right
this
Old 08-16-2013, 03:21 PM   #30
Running For Mayor of TW
richardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
richardbui23's Tacoma Gallery
just floor it through everything you should be fine
Old 08-16-2013, 03:21 PM   #31
HIYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIYota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Angel
HIYota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson View Post
Not a chance. I rode along with my friend in his lifted cj and that was hard enough. Not even a stock tacoma 4x4 would come close to getting over some rocky portions. At minimum you need a 6 inch lift with fat knobbies and thats with a very skilled driver. I would also have a winch, rock sliders and a large group.
Google Stock 4runner rubicon...If the fat 5th gen 4runner can run it I'm sure a tacoma can too w/o a 6" lift. It's about picking your lines.

Link for reference...
http://www.toyotadriverseat.com/pr/tds/rubicon.aspx
Old 08-16-2013, 03:29 PM   #32
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Impossible . First obstacle game over
Old 08-16-2013, 03:34 PM   #33
Thomas Jefferson is on a distinguished road
Name: Derrick
Thomas Jefferson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIYota View Post
Google Stock 4runner rubicon...If the fat 5th gen 4runner can run it I'm sure a tacoma can too w/o a 6" lift. It's about picking your lines.

Link for reference...
You got me, I retract my previous statement. You may be able to but you shouldn't try to tackle that trail with out a modded truck. I'm sure whoever was driving didnt care too much about breaking anything either because Toyota was footing the bill.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:28 PM   #35
Independant Thinker
Lumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Lumpskie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIYota View Post

Link for reference...

Cool link and article! BUT, I am a little skeptical about the report. It doesn't mention the route in any detail and I wonder how many bypasses they ended up taking. That being said a 4x4 4Runner with a rear locker and 33s (with a good driver) could probably conquer that trail. I'd just be concerned with the overall size of the rock obstacles that you'd need to navigate. I can envision a lot of high center situations.

Just because I don't want people to take the trail too lightly, check out this video. (I know... it's a jeep video, I'm sorry!) Keep in mind that the jeeps featured in this video have 37" or 40" tires. Also notice that the group that got stuck on the trail (for 4 days, without enough food or water) included a stock looking rubicon, with front and rear lockers. My only point here is that it is a serious trail and shouldn't be fooled around with.

If you don't want to see the jeep fanboy stuff, skip to about 7 minutes. (That's where they talk about the group that got stuck)

http://youtu.be/nVBL_o7zmsM
Old 08-16-2013, 08:31 PM   #36
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Love the flex of that white jeep . Wish I could afford to build one like it .
Old 08-16-2013, 08:33 PM   #37
Tinyredtaco is on a distinguished road

Name: Brandon
Tinyredtaco's Tacoma Gallery
I think if a stock jeep rubicon cant easily conquer the trail they should rename/redesign it

Misleading advertisement
Old 08-16-2013, 08:37 PM   #38
TailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shed
TailDrag's Tacoma Gallery
How? Rubicon is the model name. Doesn't say "Rubicon Trail Built" on the fender.

Ram isn't a real Ram either. Horns on a truck does not a ram make.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:54 PM   #39
Neighborhood Know-it-all
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
A stock truck can make it through but it will be very difficult and you'll drag everything. You'll also take a strap, or stack rocks enough times that you'll wish you'd have brought a modded truck. And that's IF you have 4WD.

A 2WD could get from one end of the trail to the other but it would be SOOO much work it wouldn't even be fun.

I've run the trail several times and even bypassing the "difficult" stuff it is a challenging trail. Personally there is no way I would even consider it in a Prerunner. We took a stock '92 reg cab pick up through the trail with us one year. He had some 32" tires and a rear bumper and sliders. The truck would have been destroyed without the armor and it was lot of work in some spots to get him through but he made it. 2WD and a locker just isn't going to cut it on the Rubicon.