Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Problem with Rear Differential Lock?

Old 08-16-2013, 11:25 AM   #1
air5mjp is on a distinguished road
air5mjp's Tacoma Gallery
Problem with Rear Differential Lock?

Ok.... brand new to the Taco thing. Just bought a used Taco last weekend. Iíve wanted one for a LONG time, and I LOVE IT . 2011, 19k miles, Double Cab, Silver Streak Mica, TRD Offroad, $23k. Still covered under the Manufacture's warranty.

The problem is this, when I press the Rear Differential lock button, the light flashes, but never stops flashing. Iím under the impression that it is supposed to flash until it locks, then turn solid once it is locked. Am I missing something? Im at a complete stop, press the button, and sit there watching a flashing light. Is this something I need to take to the dealer or am I just doing it wrong?

Any help you can give to this nubie would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-16-2013, 11:27 AM   #2
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
I sometimes have to let the truck roll forward, and sometimes backward for everything to get lined up and it to engage. Taking it out is the same way.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:30 AM   #4
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogg View Post
Are you in 4Lo?
Yeah, thats an important part of it too...

And welcome to the forum.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:36 AM   #5
air5mjp's Tacoma Gallery
Its a 4x2, so no 4L....
Old 08-16-2013, 11:38 AM   #6
I'm your huckleberry

Ah, yes, it says prerunner right over there. I'm on a roll today. Just try moving the truck back on forth, it should go in.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:40 AM   #7
Just out for a rip are ya bud?
IDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
IDtrucks's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by air5mjp View Post
Its a 4x2, so no 4L....
Herp derp haha. We all missed that one. Try turning in sharp radius turns forward and backward to get it to lock in. If none of that works have someone get by the third and hit the button. If you hear it making noise it might be operator error or a slight issue, if the actuator not making noise, there is a big issue
Old 08-16-2013, 11:43 AM   #8
VolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Machinist Mate Third Class (Veteran 2011)
VolcomTacoma2011's Tacoma Gallery
What I do is this:

Come to a complete stop, hit the Locker button, slowly roll forward while turning the steering wheel left and right a bit until you hear a lock snap/knock/clack from the rear of the truck. That's your locker engaging. You need to create a little different wheel spin on your back tires so the locker can engage.
Old 08-16-2013, 12:06 PM   #9
air5mjp's Tacoma Gallery
All of the sugestions to be tried while the vehicle is in drive, correct?
Old 08-16-2013, 12:17 PM   #10
VolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Yep. On dirt. Don't turn or have a locker on while you are on asphalt. As soon as you drive on dirt, just come to a stop, hit the button, drive forward and turn the wheel back and forth, you'll hear a loud 'clack!' From the rear end, and your lights should be good
Old 08-16-2013, 12:48 PM   #11
air5mjp's Tacoma Gallery
Alll right.... ill give this a try. If these dont work would you guys suggest taking it to the dealer or is there something else I should look at?

Thanks for all of your help.
Old 08-16-2013, 12:57 PM   #12
Nothing wrong bro. Trust me, the way you described sounds like exactly what happened to me the first few times I went offroad, before I figured out how to do it. Also, locker might not have been used much before, so it still takes a little to kick in. Mine seems like it pops right in with no issue now. The first few months of using it, it took a good couple of yards of wiggling around before I heard it click.

Do yourself a favor, roll your window down and you can hear the 'clack!' Pretty clearly, then your locker light should go solid. And you're good to go! Do it again when you want to turn it back off
Old 08-17-2013, 09:42 AM   #13
air5mjp's Tacoma Gallery
Tried your recommendations this morning and they did the trick. She handled the trail like a champ. I was able to go places I never would have dared in the old Dodge. Not too shabby for a 2wheel drive. Thanks for all of your help!!!
Old 07-29-2014, 11:33 AM   #14
Maineiac Mike is on a distinguished road
Maineiac Mike's Tacoma Gallery
Tried all the suggested steps in and out of 4WD with my Tacoma, still no dice. Is my actuator bad, or could it be something simpler?