A transmission question, Auto or 6 speed

View Poll Results: In your opinion?
Auto 54 60.00%
6 Speed 36 40.00%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-16-2013, 09:29 PM   #1
Terrorist Reduction Detachment
johnmichael125 is on a distinguished road
Army: Squad Leader Bandit Company, 3rd Battalion, 15th Infantry Regiment, 4th Brigade, 3rd ID
Name: john
johnmichael125's Tacoma Gallery
A transmission question, Auto or 6 speed

I've been searching and searching for a truck and I finally found a Sport TRD in the price range I'm looking for.

Thing is it has a manual transmission and I'm wondering for just some casual/sorta often back roading and off roading to some camping spots and fishing holes would it really matter?

I'm planning on eventually modding out the truck for more serious stuff down the road, but for now I just want to be able to make it out through the tank trails at Ft. Stewart.

What do you guys think?
Old 08-16-2013, 09:33 PM   #3
I'd rather be skiing...
teneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
teneighty's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Auto so you can get the longbed
This ^

F the short bed... Not worth getting a SB for a manual.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:42 PM   #4
Army: Squad Leader Bandit Company, 3rd Battalion, 15th Infantry Regiment, 4th Brigade, 3rd ID
Sounds good, I have e-mailed a few dealerships in a couple states (originally from Ohio, but living in GA now) to see some prices on the LBs...hopefully I can catch a good deal.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:52 PM   #5
n00b waffle
mutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mutilatedjak's Tacoma Gallery
Manual dcsb ftw!
Old 08-17-2013, 12:26 AM   #6
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MGMTacolover55's Tacoma Gallery
Auto is so smooth when driving and I initially wanted a manual but once I drove the auto I was sold
Old 08-25-2013, 12:46 PM   #7
drunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Sage
drunktaco's Tacoma Gallery
Was it a double cab or access cab? I've got a manual and I love it. It's my 2nd manual taco and if I got another one, it'd be a straight to.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:57 PM   #8
dakotasyota is one of the sharper tools in the sheddakotasyota is one of the sharper tools in the sheddakotasyota is one of the sharper tools in the sheddakotasyota is one of the sharper tools in the sheddakotasyota is one of the sharper tools in the sheddakotasyota is one of the sharper tools in the sheddakotasyota is one of the sharper tools in the sheddakotasyota is one of the sharper tools in the sheddakotasyota is one of the sharper tools in the sheddakotasyota is one of the sharper tools in the sheddakotasyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dakota
dakotasyota's Tacoma Gallery
Definitely the manual. I only drive manuals, and my access cab 6 speed is the smoothest shifting I have ever had. Plus better gas mileage. I also prefer having a manual for offroading.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:58 PM   #9
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Auto so you can get the longbed
X2
Old 08-25-2013, 12:58 PM   #10
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotasyota View Post
Definitely the manual. I only drive manuals, and my access cab 6 speed is the smoothest shifting I have ever had. Plus better gas mileage. I also prefer having a manual for offroading.
actually the auto Tacoma has better rated mileage than the manual
Old 08-25-2013, 01:02 PM   #11
HARD CAAAAAAARRRRRRRL
Papa Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jared
Papa Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
actually the auto Tacoma has better rated mileage than the manual
hes right.... if its access cab go manual but the auto gets better mpg
Old 08-25-2013, 01:02 PM   #12
FreakShow333
Nutzo333 is on a distinguished road

Name: Cory
Nutzo333's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Nutzo333
All depends on your preference. Myself, I really like driving a manual. BUT, I bought my tacoma in a pinch... ran into some trouble, needed a 4 door truck, tacoma was right in the price range... but it was an automatic. The dealer shaved a few bucks off because they knew I wanted the stick shift. Having said that, after doing a bunch of wheeling, I prefer auto for the bush. No more riding the clutch, stalling, burning the clutch in rough spots. Also, a benifit for me, no one bugs me to teach them to drive stick lol.
Old 08-25-2013, 01:03 PM   #13
04tacomarob is one of the sharper tools in the shed04tacomarob is one of the sharper tools in the shed04tacomarob is one of the sharper tools in the shed04tacomarob is one of the sharper tools in the shed04tacomarob is one of the sharper tools in the shed04tacomarob is one of the sharper tools in the shed04tacomarob is one of the sharper tools in the shed04tacomarob is one of the sharper tools in the shed04tacomarob is one of the sharper tools in the shed04tacomarob is one of the sharper tools in the shed04tacomarob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Corrections
Name: Robert
04tacomarob's Tacoma Gallery
It all depends on what type you like more, for me I absolutely love a manual transmission in everything and can't stand to drive automatics. For others it's the opposite.

Go test drive each and find out for yourself which you like. No one else knows how you drive and what you like.

Good luck!
Old 08-25-2013, 01:09 PM   #14
Rupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Rupp1's Tacoma Gallery
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I've owned both in a second gen, and I prefer the automatic.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:00 AM   #15
ɔoɯq
BMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paden
BMOC's Tacoma Gallery
manual master race
Old 08-26-2013, 12:40 AM   #16
roadking1 is on a distinguished road
roadking1's Tacoma Gallery
it depends on you.I have driven only manual transmission vehicles since 1980..I hope they continue to make them..damn i am old!!
Old 08-26-2013, 03:33 AM   #17
Yeah I've had two cars that were manual, and I didn't mind them, but for some casual off roading and mostly driving to work, I'll just go with the auto....thanks for all the input guys!
Old 08-26-2013, 01:00 PM   #18
muddyt4r is on a distinguished road
Name: Nathan
muddyt4r's Tacoma Gallery
Totally agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotasyota View Post
Same here. I don't own an automatic; 1987 t4r, 1995 taco 4x4, 2004 taco 2wd. I'd love to be able to swap my five-speed taco trannies for six-speeds.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:02 PM   #19
muddyt4r is on a distinguished road
Name: Nathan
muddyt4r's Tacoma Gallery
Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04tacomarob View Post
It all depends on what type you like more, for me I absolutely love a manual transmission in everything and can't stand to drive automatics. For others it's the opposite.

Go test drive each and find out for yourself which you like. No one else knows how you drive and what you like.

Good luck!
Hate driving an auto. Don't like the way they respond, and I love my easy-access engine braking.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:14 PM   #20

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyt4r View Post
Hate driving an auto. Don't like the way they respond, and I love my easy-access engine braking.
I love the easy-access engine breaking of my auto , just shift down , it's not brain surgery