Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Please school me on 4wd! 1st 4wd Truck

Old 08-30-2013, 05:43 PM   #21
Just out for a rip are ya bud?
IDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
IDtrucks's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenderpicks View Post
Another noob with 4WD here, ( I am talking about myself, not dissing OP )

So u CAN drive on 4hi when is raining cats and dogs on pavement roads?
absolutly not. there is zero reason to use it unless there is a foot of water in the road. and dirt and debris is floating in your way. even then I wouldn't use it untill the tires actually started to spin and break traction.

4wd is used only for LOW TRACTION situations. pavement, even when covered in water still has plenty of traction
Old 08-30-2013, 05:46 PM   #22
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDtrucks View Post
absolutly not. there is zero reason to use it unless there is a foot of water in the road. and dirt and debris is floating in your way. even then I wouldn't use it untill the tires actually started to spin and break traction.

4wd is used only for LOW TRACTION situations. pavement, even when covered in water still has plenty of traction
x2, no reason to use 4wd in the rain. If you think there is, you're either a really shitty driver or you need to slow the f down.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:49 PM   #23
Just out for a rip are ya bud?
IDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
IDtrucks's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
x2, no reason to use 4wd in the rain. If you think there is, you're either a really shitty driver or you need to slow the f down.
also, i dont think having 4wd on will stop you from hydroplaning at all. its like hitting a patch of ice, having the front spinning with power wont help you
Old 08-30-2013, 05:50 PM   #24
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
also, i dont think having 4wd on will stop you from hydroplaning at all. its like hitting a patch of ice, having the front spinning with power wont help you
Old 08-30-2013, 06:14 PM   #25
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Being in 4WD on wet/icy pavement keeps all 4 tires rotating near the same, you will feel more secure and as long as you are not binding (turning on dry pavement), you hurt nothing. AWD is superior on pavement in bad weather and it has a central differential so there is no bind on dry pavement when turning. 4WD is AWD without the dry pavement application.

Now, do you need to use 4WD on rainy days? No, no more than other cars need it. However, it conditions get REALLY BAD, you paid for a 4WD, so USE IT if it provides safer driving or passing through a low traction situation.

It would be real stupid to get stuck because you waited too long to engage the 4WD, right? Don't fear it, use it! I have been owning and driving 4WDs since 1975 and never had one fail or break from using it on stormy days (always under 60 mph). Toyota recommends using it 10 miles a month, too. If the weather is great most of the year (like here in San Diego) then only use it on straight roads, if dry, if you can't get off the pavement.

It is a dial or a button for most of our trucks... shift into and out of H4, while driving, under 60 mph... SIMPLE, EASY.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:43 PM   #26
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winker View Post
Hope you don't mind if I follow up with a question. It's Friday and I've already checked mentally checked out this week but I do believe the card in my visor advises not to exceed speeds over 62mph in 4hi, is that right?
Consider the fact that you should only use 4wd when traction conditions are not optimal and consider asking that question again

FWIW, if you can safely go 62mph and you aren't driving an off-road race, then you do not need 4wd.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:13 PM   #27
skiwaves8 is on a distinguished road
Marines:
skiwaves8's Tacoma Gallery
I shift to 4x4 on the fly all the time at speeds of 60-65 mph.My winters are a lot of fun.
Old 08-31-2013, 05:54 AM   #28
tomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tomtom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I guess I'm a really shitty driver...

Either that or I understand driving in a really dry climate and what happens to the oil buildup on the first rain after a long dry spell.

Yes, I've spun out the rear end making a left turn through an intersection coming off the line and not hammering it.

Understand your local conditions and how your truck responds in them. Rear wheel drive + light rear end = Good Times!
Old 08-31-2013, 07:16 AM   #29
Mud Slinger
ferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Fernando
ferny's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefed Taco View Post
4WD 101
When you find yourself spinning the rear tires and risk blowing the rear diff up or breaking u-joints, and your truck comes to a stop on a steep hill, push that fancy little button on the dash and continue on.

This will keep the beer between your legs from spilling, your dog in the bed from bouncing, the glass bottles in the cooler from breaking, the sandwiches that are in the small cooler inside the big cooler from getting destroyed, and will get everything to the top of the hill in one piece.
Lol...thanks man!!
Old 08-31-2013, 07:24 AM   #30
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Quote:
Ive used 4 wheel drive in the rain many times. Roads can get slick during the first few mins of a down pour.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:34 AM   #31

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Ive used 4 wheel drive in the rain many times. Roads can get slick during the first few mins of a down pour.
I agree but 4wd isn't the answer. 4wd will help you get up to speed but doesn't help you stop any faster. That's the reason you find so many 4wd vehicles in the ditch during a snow storm. In many cases it provides a false sense of security and many people would be better off staying out of 4wd and simply slowing down. It's not going to hurt the drive train, I'll give you that, but I don't think it's necessary either.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:37 AM   #32
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
I agree but 4wd isn't the answer. 4wd will help you get up to speed but doesn't help you stop any faster. That's the reason you find so many 4wd vehicles in the ditch during a snow storm. In many cases it provides a false sense of security and many people would be better off staying out of 4wd and simply slowing down. It's not going to hurt the drive train, I'll give you that, but I don't think it's necessary either.
In desert areas, the roads get slicker than snot at first rain. Ive spun out 2 times in situations like that. The dust that accumulates, oil, rubber, etc., is pretty slick when a little water is applied. After about 15 mins, or so, depending on the amount of rain, it can be tricky to drive in.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:44 AM   #33

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
In desert areas, the roads get slicker than snot at first rain. Ive spun out 2 times in situations like that. The dust that accumulates, oil, rubber, etc., is pretty slick when a little water is applied. After about 15 mins, or so, depending on the amount of rain, it can be tricky to drive in.
You're in the middle of the desert so I won't pretend to say I know what you mean, never driven there so I'll take your word for it. That being said, people have used the same excuse up here, in New England also. We get a fair amount of rain and the roads will get a little slick when the rain first starts but nothing that even remotely calls for 4wd.

The problem is, many people spin their tires a bit, put it in 4wd, they can now accelerate better so they drive faster. The problem is, your braking is reduced by the same amount due to low traction whether you're in 4wd or 2wd. If roads get slick and you put it in 4wd AND slow down, great, but most people tend to drive faster because they think they have sooo much better traction in 4wd.

Still don't think it's necessary in the rain though
Old 08-31-2013, 07:44 AM   #34
tomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tomtom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It ain't about getting up to speed nor braking. It is about maintaining traction in a low traction and uncertain environment. Plain and simple.

Taking a turn in a rear-wheel drive vehicle with a light rear-end on an oil and water slicked intersection while staying with traffic can be fun times.

Your rain environment is vastly different than mine. Especially with all the idiots here that freak when a couple raindrops touch their windshield. Half of them pretend it is a sunny dry day the other half resort to driving 25mph under the speed limit.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:48 AM   #35

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom View Post
It ain't about getting up to speed nor braking. It is about maintaining traction in a low traction and uncertain environment. Plain and simple.

Taking a turn in a rear-wheel drive vehicle with a light rear-end on an oil and water slicked intersection while staying with traffic can be fun times.

Your rain environment is vastly different than mine. Especially with all the idiots here that freak when a couple raindrops touch their windshield. Half of them pretend it is a sunny dry day the other half resort to driving 25mph under the speed limit.
Understood, now read the paragraph after the one you quoted...
Old 08-31-2013, 07:55 AM   #36

Quote:
You're in the middle of the desert so I won't pretend to say I know what you mean, never driven there so I'll take your word for it. That being said, people have used the same excuse up here, in New England also. We get a fair amount of rain and the roads will get a little slick when the rain first starts but nothing that even remotely calls for 4wd.

The problem is, many people spin their tires a bit, put it in 4wd, they can now accelerate better so they drive faster. The problem is, your braking is reduced by the same amount due to low traction whether you're in 4wd or 2wd. If roads get slick and you put it in 4wd AND slow down, great, but most people tend to drive faster because they think they have sooo much better traction in 4wd.

Still don't think it's necessary in the rain though
Until you experience it, its hard to understand. Its not so much the speed, or acceleration, but rather the extra driven wheels. I used to fight using 4x4 in the rain, but, even when starting off in second gear, and finding myself pointed in the other direction, I figured "Fuck it", and use it when I can. Hell......There have been times, driving in my car at 10 mph below the posted limit, that my stability control has kicked in due to the lack of traction. Putting the truck in 4 wheel drive is added security in my opinion.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:56 AM   #37

tomtom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Understood, now read the paragraph after the one you quoted...
Read it. I still don't think you really understand given your closing statement.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:56 AM   #38

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Until you experience it, its hard to understand. Its not so much the speed, or acceleration, but rather the extra driven wheels. I used to fight using 4x4 in the rain, but, even when starting off in second gear, and finding myself pointed in the other direction, I figured "Fuck it", and use it when I can. Hell......There have been times, driving in my car at 10 mph below the posted limit, that my stability control has kicked in due to the lack of traction. Putting the truck in 4 wheel drive is added security in my opinion.
But how did you use 4wd in your Prerunner
Old 08-31-2013, 07:58 AM   #39

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom View Post
Read it. I still don't think you really understand given your closing statement.
I aknowledged that I've never experienced the situations you and Chris are describing in the desert
Old 08-31-2013, 08:00 AM   #40

Quote:
But how did you use 4wd in your Prerunner
I actually tried not to drive my Prerunner when it would rain Its a wiggly sonofabitch in the wet. The Dodge diesel I would use 4x4 and second gear starts, my Dakota (auto) used 4 hi when starting and turning. The car......well......I keep it in front wheel drive