Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Please school me on 4wd! 1st 4wd Truck

Old 08-31-2013, 08:01 AM   #41
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Until you experience it, its hard to understand. Its not so much the speed, or acceleration, but rather the extra driven wheels. I used to fight using 4x4 in the rain, but, even when starting off in second gear, and finding myself pointed in the other direction, I figured "Fuck it", and use it when I can. Hell......There have been times, driving in my car at 10 mph below the posted limit, that my stability control has kicked in due to the lack of traction. Putting the truck in 4 wheel drive is added security in my opinion.
Sounds like more of a tire issue...
Old 08-31-2013, 08:02 AM   #42
tomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shed
tomtom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Until you experience it, its hard to understand. Its not so much the speed, or acceleration, but rather the extra driven wheels. I used to fight using 4x4 in the rain, but, even when starting off in second gear, and finding myself pointed in the other direction, I figured "Fuck it", and use it when I can. Hell......There have been times, driving in my car at 10 mph below the posted limit, that my stability control has kicked in due to the lack of traction. Putting the truck in 4 wheel drive is added security in my opinion.
Again, all this. Plain and simple. As Chris is stating, it isn't about going fast. I take surface streets back and forth to work. Most top out at 40mph. I typically run 5-10mph under when it rains and drop down to 10-15mph in areas where the water has pooled deep enough. I throw it in 4WD to maintain traction through all this. It is especially appreciated when taking turns at intersections and driving through pooled water where I can't see what I'm driving over.

Necessary, no. Do I want to cause an accident because I didn't use a safety feature, no.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:03 AM   #43
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffroadToy View Post
Sounds like more of a tire issue...
I'm claiming operator error

Chris, are the tires you guys buy out there siped?
Old 08-31-2013, 08:09 AM   #44
Buckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: MI Officer
Name: Chris
Buckoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoBurrito07 View Post
Soooo accidentally forgot to take it out of 4 wheel when I got back on pavement.. I was making a U-Turn and I heard a really weird sound So I immediately stopped, realized I was in 4hi and switched it out. Drove perfectly fine after that. How can I know If I screwed anything up??
Don't worry. I've forgotten to take it out of 4x4 many times (although I usually remember within a minute). You're stressing some parts a little but unless you do some formula one driving nothing will be damaged.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:10 AM   #45
tomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shed
tomtom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post

They can be but not standard.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:22 AM   #46
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom View Post
They can be but not standard.
That actually explains a lot. Up here, pretty much all tires are siped until you get to M/Ts.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:38 AM   #47
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
Is this rain traction problem unique to the 4wd, my 5-lug has no problem in rain.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:43 AM   #48
tomtom's Tacoma Gallery
If I ever get a Go-Pro and actually have it ready to go when it rains I'll shoot video of the driving conditions.

I've lived and driven long term in Virginia, Arizona, Oregon, Wisconsin and NM. Arizona and NM rank as my scariest states for driving in the rain. Scary enough that I typically find things to do to keep me off the roads when the clouds build high and dark enough.

These kind of conditions happen in the matter of minutes after the first rain drop:

Just think about when you get a hurricane or tropical storm bouncing up the coast only with a lot less warning like "Today there is a 20% chance of rain."
Old 08-31-2013, 08:51 AM   #49
tomtom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by worthywads View Post
Is this rain traction problem unique to the 4wd, my 5-lug has no problem in rain.
No. It is more a matter of the actual rain conditions. I lived in Corvallis, OR for a year and had no issues driving around in 2WD during the rainy season.

Rain conditions in the desert are less favorable. Long stretches of dry weather allows oil buildup on the road. First rain starts bringing that oil up and conditions are pretty slick. It isn't until we get a good heavy rain or repeated light rains that enough of the oil washes off and wet roads become more conducive to traction.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:08 AM   #50
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post

Yes, except my mud terrains. it's commonly known out here that the roads are very slick during a rainstorm. So much so that the news always starts off with reports and warnings letting people know that it's slippery.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:20 AM   #51
tomtom's Tacoma Gallery
87F at 10am, not bad.
Old 08-31-2013, 01:15 PM   #52
fenderpicks is just really nicefenderpicks is just really nicefenderpicks is just really nicefenderpicks is just really nicefenderpicks is just really nice
fenderpicks's Tacoma Gallery
Since... i dont take my truck to off road...
How can i engage my 4Hi SAFELY, just so shit in there wont sieze up lol?

And i bought a 4x4 because it is kewl lol.(I just wanted the BEST PACKAGE tacoma out there, because i had to give up my WRX). I couldnt watch myself getting rid of my WRX just for a average tacoma
Old 08-31-2013, 01:30 PM   #53
Buckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Buckoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenderpicks View Post

And i bought a 4x4 because it is kewl lol.(I just wanted the BEST PACKAGE tacoma out there, because i had to give up my WRX). I couldnt watch myself getting rid of my WRX just for a average tacoma
I wouldn't worry about the whole 10 miles a month bit. Try to engage 4-hi once or twice a month for a mile or so, preferably on the lower end of the speed spectrum and no harsh turns. If you can find softer or wet roads the better.
Old 08-31-2013, 01:35 PM   #54
BroBraBlahBlah
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
I recommend checking out the owners manual.
Old 08-31-2013, 01:47 PM   #55
distinguished bongo truck art critic
Mxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police Platoon Leader
Name: Chase
Mxpatriot's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoBurrito07 View Post
Soooo accidentally forgot to take it out of 4 wheel when I got back on pavement.. I was making a U-Turn and I heard a really weird sound So I immediately stopped, realized I was in 4hi and switched it out. Drove perfectly fine after that. How can I know If I screwed anything up??
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. It's not beneficial for the vehicle, but it is rarely catastrophic. Doing it frequently for prolonged periods of time will be an expensive habit.
Old 08-31-2013, 02:14 PM   #56

Buckoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonman View Post
I recommend checking out the owners manual.
Which is a GREAT baseline source for your vehicle... but not the end-all be-all gospel.
Old 08-31-2013, 02:27 PM   #57

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenderpicks View Post

Nothing is going to seize up... I use 4wd pretty much only in the winter and it stays in 2wd from May until October every year. Things are still moving and lubricated. Use it when you need it.
Old 08-31-2013, 03:02 PM   #58
BroBraBlahBlah
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckoma View Post
Which is a GREAT baseline source for your vehicle... but not the end-all be-all gospel.
Absolutely. It does offer lots of valid information though! Most 4x4 questions can be answered there. TW is an awesome resource as well I must agree.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:43 PM   #59
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
It's just good insurance for those with 4x &/or lockers to engage them at least once a month for a bit, especially seeing how they're all electric engagement.. Theres been more than a few here that have NEVER engaged their lockers for example & when the time comes that they needed it, guess what, no worky, the lights come on but wont go solid (indication of locked diff.) Use it or lose it (use it a little anyway)
Old 08-31-2013, 10:28 PM   #60
x2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

x2468's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WD View Post
According to my manual it says that I can shift into 4wd at anytime & any speed below 60-65mph..... I'll be damned before I go to 4x mode at 60mph+, especially with the lever (no push button)
65? I thought it was 55... I did it driving on the highway in the snow. It was a blizzard in Vermont, and the right lane was cleared of snow but the passing lane had a good deal of snow, so I would use 4wd to overtake anyone going under 50.