1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Please school me on 4wd! 1st 4wd Truck

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by Fernando, Aug 24, 2013.

1. Aug 24, 2013 at 10:49 PM
    Fernando

Fernando [OP] Hammerdown

Member:
    First Name:
    Fernando
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma DC 4x4
    Too many, See Build
    Sup guys, So i have always been into lowered cars (slammed everything from civic's, integra, 300C, and a CTS-V). Decided to get a truck since I'm a family guy now. Made a mistake of getting an 03 DC 4cyl 2wd(honestly it was a great truck, just not 4wd). Traded her in 11 months later and bought an 04 DC V6 4WD. Couldn't be happier!!!

Sooo here are the noob ?'s

1- When shifting into 4wd, should i be in neutral or park
    2- When shifting out of 4wd should i be in neutral or park
    3- Whats the fastest I should be going in 4lo
    4- Whats the slowest/fastest i can go in 4hi
    5- can i come to a complete stop in 4hi? Im assuming i can since i cant just shift to 4lo while slowing down

sorry if these are stupid questions, I would hate to ruin my new truck for some stupid noob mistake :confused:

Thanks for the help gentlemen :cool:

2. Aug 24, 2013 at 10:57 PM
    User Name01

User Name01 Little boy from FairyTale Land

Member:
    First Name:
    Bolbi Stroganovsky
    Wherever the next wind project is
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport Barcelona Red Metallic Dbl Cab 4x4
    The truck is supposed to be shift on the fly, which means that you can shift into/out of whenever. I try to be at a complete stop unless i realize that i am sinking and, oh well. I am usually in 4hi UNLESS i am crawling out of a hole or am towing something in mud or sand. As long as I am under 10 mph, i stay in 4L.

3. Aug 24, 2013 at 10:57 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Modern electronic transfer cases can shift on the fly. The 4WD light will flash while the system is transitioning. It's not a bad idea to come to a complete stop and put it in neutral, but it's not a requirement.
    You'll know it. The engine will rev very high. You can go all the way into top gear in 4lo, but there's really no point.
    Dead stop. 4hi will be your most used 4wd mode. 4lo is only needed for extremely slow crawling and pulling, steep hills, etc....
    All of your answers are in the owner's manual.

Most important, do not engage 4wd on dry pavement.
    The truck is 4wd, not AWD, there is no differential that isolates the front and rear axles. 4wd on dry pavement will cause binding if you make any turns.

The manual indicates the need to run in 4wd for something like 10 miles per month, but it is important to do this on a dirt road, or in snow... and most owners do not follow this and don't seem to be reporting problems.

4. Aug 24, 2013 at 11:04 PM
    Fernando

Fernando [OP] Hammerdown

Member:
    First Name:
    Fernando
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma DC 4x4
    Too many, See Build
    well that was fast! thats why i love TW! lol..thanks guys!! makes perfect sense! I didnt realize I could shift while in motion, i would rather be at a complete stop, but its nice to know i could do it if i am getting stuck and slowly moving

Again, thank you guys!!!

5. Aug 24, 2013 at 11:08 PM
    Fernando

Fernando [OP] Hammerdown

Member:
    First Name:
    Fernando
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma DC 4x4
    Too many, See Build
    really? sun has never got into my eyes so i have never had to pull it down..JK

haha, i saw that but doesn't really get into detail. It doesnt get into speeds etc. I know i could have googled but I trust TW more than google!

6. Aug 24, 2013 at 11:18 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    According to my manual it says that I can shift into 4wd at anytime & any speed below 60-65mph..... :eek::eek::eek: I'll be damned before I go to 4x mode at 60mph+, especially with the lever (no push button)

7. Aug 25, 2013 at 1:06 AM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    in red

8. Aug 25, 2013 at 3:12 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    4WD on the fly.... I will often take my foot off the gas to remove the 'torque' from the driveline. It'll engage/disengage faster.

The fastest I've gone is about 35mph. It's not 'how fast' you can go, it's about how HIGH the engine will be revving. I don't use 4lo at all. I will often use it in winter with tons of snow on the ground on the back roads just to use it.... cuz, if you don't use it....it might not work when you need it.

The fastest I've gone is 60mph in 4hi. This is generally on the highway in an extreme downpour. Again - I do this in pouring rain on my way to work just to engage the system once a month or so. The highway is a straight shot (no turns) and I disengage it as soon as I get on the offramp.

Yes, you can come to a complete stop in any 4wd mode.

Make note: DO not use 4wd on dry pavement . Avoid making TIGHT turns.

You might notice - when you're making a turn while in 4WD....the truck might not want to move or it might buck & jerk. DO NOT FORCE IT . You'll want to straighten the wheels and disengage 4wd before making the turn. If you're having a hard time disengaging it - rock the truck back-n-forth slightly.

9. Aug 30, 2013 at 12:38 PM
    Winker

Winker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2019 Subaru WRX
    Hope you don't mind if I follow up with a question. It's Friday and I've already checked mentally checked out this week but I do believe the card in my visor advises not to exceed speeds over 62mph in 4hi, is that right?

10. Aug 30, 2013 at 12:45 PM
    fenderpicks

fenderpicks Well-Known Member

Member:
    Another noob with 4WD here, ( I am talking about myself, not dissing OP )

So u CAN drive on 4hi when is raining cats and dogs on pavement roads?

11. Aug 30, 2013 at 12:55 PM
    fizzlebag

fizzlebag Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2020 4x4 MGM Tundra Limited
    TRD Cat Back Exhaust
    No, there is still too much traction and the drivetrain will bind when you try to turn. Keep 4wd for off-road or snow/ice conditions.

12. Aug 30, 2013 at 12:57 PM
    Yotabilly

Yotabilly Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Bluegrass
    Vehicle:
    2013 4cyl,5spd.4x4 Reg Cab
    UWS low profile toolbox, tint, rainguards, color matched grill surround 265/75r16 Goodyear Duratracs Ultra-Guage XB fogs, Weathertech Floor Liners, OME 884s, 2"AAL, Bilstein 5100s, FJ Trail Team wheels, Matt123 skid plate, 30" light bar, Rigid Duallys, Bed extender
    My owner's manual says to drive ten miles in 4 hi once a month. I wonder how many people actually do it.

13. Aug 30, 2013 at 1:10 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Answers in red. Read your owner's manual!

14. Aug 30, 2013 at 3:52 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    I do it.... In rainy conditions on the highway usually at 60mph depending on traffic and how much water is pooled up on the road (hydro planing) - then I'll go slower. I always disengage when entering the offramp.

15. Aug 30, 2013 at 4:00 PM
    TacoBurrito07

TacoBurrito07 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    07 SWB Dbl cab TRD Sport 4x4
    Soooo accidentally forgot to take it out of 4 wheel when I got back on pavement.. I was making a U-Turn and I heard a really weird sound So I immediately stopped, realized I was in 4hi and switched it out. Drove perfectly fine after that. How can I know If I screwed anything up??

16. Aug 30, 2013 at 4:03 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    Yes.... Straight roads and I would keep it under 60mph.

But remember - use 2wd when there are turns involved. I never use 4wd (in the rain) on back country 2 lane roads where there's a lot of soft turns involved.

Using 4wd on the highway in downpours can overall be safer than in 2wd.
    If you haven't noticed yet how tail happy any 2wd truck can be in the rain. These trucks ( with composite beds) have less weight in the rear than trucks with steal beds. Being in 4wd in downpours ( straight driving) can help prevent fish tailing. But ultimately, SLOW DOWN. I like having peace of mind in those types of conditions using 4wd.

That's my theory and I'm sticking to it!

17. Aug 30, 2013 at 4:05 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    The best part.... You noticed it right away and fixed the problem.

It's happens to everyone. You're probably just fine.

Continue to be AWARE of your trucks noises, feelings, sounds, taking notice to these things EARLY prevents issues in the long run.

18. Aug 30, 2013 at 4:06 PM
    MGMTacolover55

MGMTacolover55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orygun
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM Taco TRD Off Road
    floor Mats
    If you turn it back on and it acts weird or anything like that then you know its screwed up otherwise you should be OK as long as you don't do that ever again

19. Aug 30, 2013 at 4:07 PM
    Beefed Taco

Beefed Taco Taco Vending Machine

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    My Metal Shop
    Vehicle:
    99 Taco
    streetacos.com parts!
    Anytime after using 4WD, before going back into 2WD, it's not a bad idea to back up about 10 feet or so before you take it out of 4WD. This will undo any drivetrain bindup in the driveline. Old trucks, new trucks, it's not a bad idea to do regardless.

A lot of times my old parts don't like to come out of 4WD unless I do this.

20. Aug 30, 2013 at 5:43 PM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    absolutly not. there is zero reason to use it unless there is a foot of water in the road. and dirt and debris is floating in your way. even then I wouldn't use it untill the tires actually started to spin and break traction.

4wd is used only for LOW TRACTION situations. pavement, even when covered in water still has plenty of traction

Products Discussed in

To Top