LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Hi Lift Jack Crapped Out

Old 08-28-2013, 12:04 PM   #1
Coast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast2Coast's Tacoma Gallery
Hi Lift Jack Crapped Out

I got my truck stuck up in the air when my Hi Lift Extreme jack locked up this weekend. It goes up but will not lower, I had to use a 20 year old Jack All to get the truck out of the hole I was in. The 4 month old jack is toast, outperformed by the rusty old jack all that came from a flea market lol. Anyone else had issues with the newer Hi Lift jacks?
Old 08-28-2013, 01:24 PM   #2
no time for d-bags
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
It's virtually impossible for the jack to "crap out" or be toast. My guess is since you live in Canada that its just seized up from road grime/dirt/salt/rust. Spray the mechanism with some WD40 or other lubricant and try again.

If by some chance the pins or springs are damaged, you can by a fix it kit for like $12 that replaces those parts making it like new again.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:26 PM   #3
Hiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hiatt
Hiatt1991's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Hiatt1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box Rocket View Post
It's virtually impossible for the jack to "crap out" or be toast. My guess is since you live in Canada that its just seized up from road grime/dirt/salt/rust. Spray the mechanism with some WD40 or other lubricant and try again.

If by some chance the pins or springs are damaged, you can by a fix it kit for like $12 that replaces those parts making it like new again.
THIS!!! Even is sunny socal I have to do this when I use my jack. When dirt gets in the pins they get a little stuck. Just spray with WD-40 before use and wiggle the pins before you jack your truck.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:33 PM   #4
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Yep, the climing pins are probably just dirty and the little spring isnt enough to push it back when trying to go down. Clean the jack up and lube the pins and you should be good to go. Or they do sell repair parts if necessary!
Old 08-28-2013, 01:35 PM   #5
tomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shed
tomtom's Tacoma Gallery
Use tri-flow or other PTFE bearing lube. WD-40 is a water displacer. Will work as a lubricant for the short term but once it evaporates, you'll be back where you were.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:40 PM   #6
Coast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box Rocket View Post
It's virtually impossible for the jack to "crap out" or be toast.
Well I wouldn't think so, I keep the jack clean enough to eat off of and it stays safe and pre-lubed inside my 4runner. I've used it with no problems buried in mud over the summer. It gets cleaned and lubed after every trip and has very little visible rust after months of use. It still only works in the up direction after cleaning it off with a power washer and spraying half a can of wd-40 on it. Wasn't impressed with that. I messed with it for some time and now I'll have to take it apart to see if I can find anything damaged. At least it happened close to home and not out in the mountains somewhere, I'd still be out there lol. Now I have to buy and carry a second jack because I don't trust this one...
Old 08-28-2013, 02:48 PM   #7
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
you can send it to me if you really dont want it anymore
Old 08-29-2013, 08:43 AM   #8
no time for d-bags
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coast2Coast View Post
Well I wouldn't think so, I keep the jack clean enough to eat off of and it stays safe and pre-lubed inside my 4runner. I've used it with no problems buried in mud over the summer. It gets cleaned and lubed after every trip and has very little visible rust after months of use. It still only works in the up direction after cleaning it off with a power washer and spraying half a can of wd-40 on it. Wasn't impressed with that. I messed with it for some time and now I'll have to take it apart to see if I can find anything damaged. At least it happened close to home and not out in the mountains somewhere, I'd still be out there lol. Now I have to buy and carry a second jack because I don't trust this one...
Post a pic of the lifting mechanism. Let us see the pins and springs. I'm sure we can help you find the problem. Also, if its that new you should be able to return it and have it replaced under warranty, if there is truly a defect.

I'm still putting money on it being just fine.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:51 AM   #9
Evenflow is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvenflow is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvenflow is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvenflow is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvenflow is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvenflow is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvenflow is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvenflow is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvenflow is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvenflow is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvenflow is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jason
Evenflow's Tacoma Gallery
I had a similar problem when mine was new the spring loaded pin would stick which did not allow it to reverse but simply using a flat head screw driver to flick the "t" of the pin would release it instantly. Try taking it apart and hit the inside of the hole that spring loaded pin goes through with a light file and it will not happen anymore.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:55 AM   #10
SoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
SoCaltaco65's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIeASvjxDtU
Old 08-29-2013, 10:12 AM   #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenflow View Post
I had a similar problem when mine was new the spring loaded pin would stick which did not allow it to reverse but simply using a flat head screw driver to flick the "t" of the pin would release it instantly. Try taking it apart and hit the inside of the hole that spring loaded pin goes through with a light file and it will not happen anymore.
I haven't been home to mess with it. I figured that because its new, the pins are too tight and bind easily (not broken in). The smallest fragment of dirt locks up that pin no matter how many gallons of lube you spray on there. I've never had binding problems with old rusty jacks unless they were absolutely dry. I'll take a look when I'm off next week and see if I can find the issue.
Old 09-03-2013, 01:33 PM   #12
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Chickenmunga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coast2Coast View Post
the pins are too tight and bind easily (not broken in)
This is your issue. After lubing, you need to work the jack up and down a bunch with a moderate load that you can easily remove if it binds. One way is to have a friend step on it with one foot and hold the beam while you work the handle. Do this a bunch, then go to something heavy and do that a bunch.