LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Using Hi-Lift on stock Tacoma

Old 08-28-2013, 04:10 PM   #1
BlackBuzzard is on a distinguished road
BlackBuzzard's Tacoma Gallery
Using Hi-Lift on stock Tacoma

I have hauled a high lift jack for tens of thousands of miles in several different trucks and have only used it once. Its big, has sharp edges, heavy and takes up limited space in the truck bed when camping even if a nifty mounting is used.

In addition, I can see NO WAY to use it on a stock Tacoma without inflicting damage......unless inserted into hitch receiver in back. In front there is no way to lift at the tow hooks without creasing the bumper skin badly.......do I have this right?

Even that hook-on-wheel attachment for hi lift has the jack perilously close to wheel well.

So my plan is to retire the hi-lift and replace it with the X Jack. .....its one of those air pillow jacks.

Opinions and feedback are welcome.

BB
Old 08-28-2013, 04:22 PM   #2
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Most people who use Hi Lifts on Tacomas have sliders. They make perfect lift points on the truck.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:24 PM   #3
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Yep - if you don't have sliders and/or bumper with lift points, there's not much point in carrying a high lift jack.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:38 PM   #4
TAP Auto Parts
Chas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Chas
Chas of MRT's Tacoma Gallery
Attached Thumbnails
Using Hi-Lift on stock Tacoma-images.jpg  
Old 08-28-2013, 05:43 PM   #6
BlackBuzzard is on a distinguished road
BlackBuzzard's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas of MRT View Post
I have this device, and it worked with my old 1998 Chevy truck steel front bumper......it will not work with stock Tacoma 2008 hooked to front tow hooks or bumper without damage.

I want to keep the Tacoma stock as it suits my limited off road needs just fine.

I have never used an air bag jack before, but they appear to work well in vids and reviews.

BB
Old 08-28-2013, 06:50 PM   #7
SkottK62 is on a distinguished road
SkottK62's Tacoma Gallery
That X Jack looks like its more of a hassle than a Hi-jack but I guess its better than nothing.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:15 PM   #8
.<>./
capetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

capetaco12's Tacoma Gallery
Hi lift can be used as a come along. X jack looks like I would pop it.
Old 09-03-2013, 01:40 PM   #9
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Chickenmunga's Tacoma Gallery
I think for the OP's purpose, the X jack might be just the ticket. It's meant to be used as a jack, so if it pops, you can claim warranty I'm sure. ARB stuff is generally good stuff.

Word of caution: Don't use the Hi-Lift on the hitch receiver. This is a dangerous maneuver that makes the truck easy to tip.

As a visual, let's say you lift the truck from the hitch. Now, push against the driver's side wheel. The jack will tip sideways towards the passenger side until it flops over and the truck lands back on its wheels.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:21 PM   #10
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
As long as this thread's still going on - you CAN use high lift without sliders or bumper as long as your purpose is to get stuck rather than change a wheel. You have to get and use the "lift mate" accessory to lift by attaching the jack to a wheel.

http://www.hi-lift.com/accessories/lift-mate.html