1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Pics from Trail in Colorado

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by RockyMtnRanger, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Sep 11, 2013 at 7:24 PM
    RockyMtnRanger

RockyMtnRanger [OP] Carnitas Tacos

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    WY (from NC)
    Vehicle:
    13 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Thought I would share some pictures from my first off road trip down in Colorado this past weekend. I have been running some easy/moderate trails in WY and wanted to get out into the mountains.

I went to the Kelly Flats trail in northern CO and jumped into the deep end with testing the off road capability of my stock 13 Tacoma TRD Off Road. I was amazed at how well this truck handled the trails here which are rated as "difficult". I bypassed the two toughest obstacles (Heart Attack Hill and The Chutes) but there were still some very challenging sections, especially in a stock truck with lower clearance. With careful line choice I was able to make my way through the 10 mile trail with only a broken front mud flap, and a scratch on my left running board (which is going away as soon as I get sliders). Wish I would have remembered to get more pics of the difficult sections, but I was too bust trying not to destroy a 4 month old truck! :eek:

Can't wait to add a lift, tires, sliders, and other items on my list!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2016
  2. Sep 13, 2013 at 10:01 PM
    06RedComa

06RedComa Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 DC Sport
    Kings, Camburg 1.25" UCAs, Dakar leafs, TRD exhaust, Grillcraft grille, All-Pro APEX Bumper, Kenwood DNX6960, Avid Sliders, SnugTop Rebel, 285/75/16 Hankook Dynapro atm
    Looks good, makes me want to head north. Watch out for that mod bug, there is no turning back and welcome to TW!

3. Sep 14, 2013 at 11:58 PM
    jdlarsen

jdlarsen Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Castle Rock, CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB TRD Off-road
    Bilstein 5100's all around, Headstrong Offroad 2" coils in front (Bilsteins at 0), Tuff Country 1.5" aal in rear. Duratrac 265/75/16 tires on Pro Comp 7032 wheels. US Off Road low-profile winch mount with Smittybilt XRC 9.5 Gen2 winch and low-profile roller fairlead. Bakflip G2 tonneau.
    I agree with the ability of these at stock...excellent. I've had my '13 since the end of May. Took it out off Rampart south of Sedalia (road 151). Nothing too major, but impressed all the same. I found you gotta ditch the front mud flaps though...they're what make you think you're bottoming out on everything. I modded mine down to stubbies and I figured out quickly that my clearance is just fine. Second major trip was to Pleasant Valley area on Old Bunce School Road over Labor Day weekend...a lot tougher trail (coming in from Camp Dick). Downpouring the whole way. Chose good lines and the truck did fantastic. I gotta agree these trucks are awesome straight from the showroom. Cheers.

4. Sep 15, 2013 at 11:11 AM
    RockyMtnRanger

RockyMtnRanger [OP] Carnitas Tacos

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    WY (from NC)
    Vehicle:
    13 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    I was planning on trimming my front mud flaps, but ended up losing one before I got around to it haha. I might buy some husky liners replacements...

5. Sep 15, 2013 at 9:08 PM
    JDM

JDM Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB TRD OR S/C
    TRD supercharger, TRD exhaust, skids, sliders
    I did more damage to my trail rig (which is not my DD Taco) in The Chutes than on any other trail (with Holy Cross being a close second). It's a pretty short length of trail/obstacles too. Here's a shot of me at the entrance... I just scrapped the rear glass on the big rock on the driver's side but didn't break it (was pretty lucky).

The Chutes.jpg

6. Sep 16, 2013 at 2:10 PM
    Madjik_Man

Madjik_Man The Rembrandt of Rattle Can

Member:
    Colorado Front Range
    Vehicle:
    1998 Ext Cab 3.4 4x4 TRD 5MT, 2004 DC 3.4 4x4 TRD
    It takes 5 minutes to remove them before going out on a wheeling trip.

That's what I do. Then put them back on when I'm on the road

7. Dec 3, 2013 at 9:35 PM
    mr optimist

mr optimist Mr Lazy

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Alamosa, CO
    Vehicle:
    1998 4runner SR5 5 speed
    Supercharged, 5 speed, AOR Sliders, Tundra Front Springs, OME 906 Rear springs, Bilstein Tundra 5100s, Factory Diff lock, Wrangler Authority 275/75/16
    Heart attack hill is one rough ride in a stock tacoma! The hardest part is the transition to the waterfall. Possible but not with it when there is a bypass.

Products Discussed in

To Top