Notices

Pics from Trail in Colorado

Old 09-11-2013, 07:24 PM   #1
Carnitas Tacos
RockyMtnRanger is on a distinguished road
Name: Kevin
RockyMtnRanger's Tacoma Gallery
Pics from Trail in Colorado

Thought I would share some pictures from my first off road trip down in Colorado this past weekend. I have been running some easy/moderate trails in WY and wanted to get out into the mountains.

I went to the Kelly Flats trail in northern CO and jumped into the deep end with testing the off road capability of my stock 13 Tacoma TRD Off Road. I was amazed at how well this truck handled the trails here which are rated as "difficult". I bypassed the two toughest obstacles (Heart Attack Hill and The Chutes) but there were still some very challenging sections, especially in a stock truck with lower clearance. With careful line choice I was able to make my way through the 10 mile trail with only a broken front mud flap, and a scratch on my left running board (which is going away as soon as I get sliders). Wish I would have remembered to get more pics of the difficult sections, but I was too bust trying not to destroy a 4 month old truck!

Can't wait to add a lift, tires, sliders, and other items on my list!

Old 09-13-2013, 10:01 PM   #2
Yotas For Life!
06RedComa is one of the sharper tools in the shed06RedComa is one of the sharper tools in the shed06RedComa is one of the sharper tools in the shed06RedComa is one of the sharper tools in the shed06RedComa is one of the sharper tools in the shed06RedComa is one of the sharper tools in the shed06RedComa is one of the sharper tools in the shed06RedComa is one of the sharper tools in the shed06RedComa is one of the sharper tools in the shed06RedComa is one of the sharper tools in the shed06RedComa is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
06RedComa's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good, makes me want to head north. Watch out for that mod bug, there is no turning back and welcome to TW!
Old 09-14-2013, 11:58 PM   #3
jdlarsen is on a distinguished road

Name: Jon
jdlarsen's Tacoma Gallery
I agree with the ability of these at stock...excellent. I've had my '13 since the end of May. Took it out off Rampart south of Sedalia (road 151). Nothing too major, but impressed all the same. I found you gotta ditch the front mud flaps though...they're what make you think you're bottoming out on everything. I modded mine down to stubbies and I figured out quickly that my clearance is just fine. Second major trip was to Pleasant Valley area on Old Bunce School Road over Labor Day weekend...a lot tougher trail (coming in from Camp Dick). Downpouring the whole way. Chose good lines and the truck did fantastic. I gotta agree these trucks are awesome straight from the showroom. Cheers.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:11 AM   #4
Carnitas Tacos
RockyMtnRanger is on a distinguished road
Name: Kevin
RockyMtnRanger's Tacoma Gallery
I was planning on trimming my front mud flaps, but ended up losing one before I got around to it haha. I might buy some husky liners replacements...
Old 09-15-2013, 09:08 PM   #5
JDM is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDM is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDM is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDM is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDM is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDM is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDM is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDM is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDM is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDM is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDM is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jimmy
JDM's Tacoma Gallery
I did more damage to my trail rig (which is not my DD Taco) in The Chutes than on any other trail (with Holy Cross being a close second). It's a pretty short length of trail/obstacles too. Here's a shot of me at the entrance... I just scrapped the rear glass on the big rock on the driver's side but didn't break it (was pretty lucky).
Attached Thumbnails
Pics from Trail in Colorado-chutes.jpg  
Old 09-16-2013, 02:10 PM   #6
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnRanger View Post
I was planning on trimming my front mud flaps, but ended up losing one before I got around to it haha. I might buy some husky liners replacements...
It takes 5 minutes to remove them before going out on a wheeling trip.

That's what I do. Then put them back on when I'm on the road
Old 12-03-2013, 09:35 PM   #7
Mr Lazy
mr optimist is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr optimist is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr optimist is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr optimist is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr optimist is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr optimist is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr optimist is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr optimist is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr optimist is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr optimist is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr optimist is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam
mr optimist's Tacoma Gallery
Heart attack hill is one rough ride in a stock tacoma! The hardest part is the transition to the waterfall. Possible but not with it when there is a bypass.