Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Communicating on the trail with no CB

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-23-2013, 05:32 PM   #21
she'll ride
nut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: AC3 (Vet)
Name: Patrick
nut's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyProof View Post
I bought the wouxun uv3d for jasmine well over two years ago and never had a problem with it. Every time we go on a trail run or hiking we bring that radio with us as a standby radio. And despite me always dropping it, it still keeps on ticking. I used to have the yasue ft60 for my walkietalkie but I lost it at the hammers. Never replaced it because jasmines radio is kickass
good to know! ill pull the trigger on a radio soon, gotta get thru the holidays
Old 09-23-2013, 05:34 PM   #22
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 taco View Post
Local member says that this radio will work fine for trail runs
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006J4G49C/...amazonquery-20

This is the model that everyone is getting.. its more robust and sturdier..

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0097252UK

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/10755
Old 09-23-2013, 05:40 PM   #23
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
2m VHF FTW !! I just talked to a local member whos on a trail right now about 20+ miles away.... I'm sitting in my driveway at home....
Old 09-23-2013, 05:48 PM   #24
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WD View Post
2m VHF FTW !! I just talked to a local member whos on a trail right now about 20+ miles away.... I'm sitting in my driveway at home....
Welcome to the club!

I can talk to peeps in Lucerne valley from the Pasadena/ San Gabriel Valley! Talking through the Big Bear Lake Repeater (147.330). That's a 120 miles or so
Old 09-23-2013, 06:21 PM   #25
nat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nat's Tacoma Gallery
Yep get a ham radio. I have a Yaesu 7900 in my Taco. I love it.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:48 AM   #26
seedless024 has a brilliant futureseedless024 has a brilliant futureseedless024 has a brilliant futureseedless024 has a brilliant futureseedless024 has a brilliant futureseedless024 has a brilliant futureseedless024 has a brilliant futureseedless024 has a brilliant futureseedless024 has a brilliant futureseedless024 has a brilliant futureseedless024 has a brilliant future

Name: norman
seedless024's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreidTaco View Post
too many trees and tight corners. Wont be able to see them.
lol not if your letting it out to send smoke signals instead of radio signals haha

im just messin around
Old 10-08-2013, 12:36 PM   #29
...'cause I...am Shauncho
Shauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shaun
Shauncho's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grieby54 View Post
Can Ham radios communicate with CB radios?
wondering this too. however I think the answer is no.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:50 PM   #30
Banned
SoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
SoCaltaco65's Tacoma Gallery
HRO has a sweet deal on a great radio:

http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-011362
Old 10-08-2013, 12:58 PM   #31
Power Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCaltaco65 View Post
HRO has a sweet deal on a great radio:

http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-011362
Solid radio
Old 10-12-2013, 09:28 PM   #32
wrat is just really nicewrat is just really nicewrat is just really nicewrat is just really nice
wrat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grieby54 View Post
Can Ham radios communicate with CB radios?
No. I have never come across a ham that was able to communicate across the civilian band.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:39 AM   #33
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nut View Post
good to know! ill pull the trigger on a radio soon, gotta get thru the holidays
I don't have a Ham radio myself BUT ...

You do realize that you need to study up a bit, take a test, pass it, and get a Ham license and call sign before you can start broadcasting .

Although I think you can get a radio and just listen in on other conversations.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:10 PM   #34
kd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Henry
kd8bao's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tan4x4 View Post
I don't have a Ham radio myself BUT ...

You do realize that you need to study up a bit, take a test, pass it, and get a Ham license and call sign before you can start broadcasting .

Although I think you can get a radio and just listen in on other conversations.
That is correct, you can listen all you want but no TX'ing. The tech class is nice, especially with the digital side. it offers world wide comms if in range of a digital machine. which by the way are popping up all over.

Ham radio needs help being revived by younger guys also. go get it. the test and card are cheap.

Old 10-21-2013, 12:21 AM   #35
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
There are a few radios that can be modded to TX on CB but it is illegal.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:25 AM   #36
Coast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast2Coast's Tacoma Gallery
I used to listen to ham radio guys chat back and forth 16+ years ago when I got my first police scanner and programmed the local ham repeaters into it. These guys were just at their houses though, I never knew people used them in 4x4s till I started coming to these forums. I might get one for my rig some day. My only trail comm experience has been with FRS radios, which have a range of about 100' most of the time for me on the trail. We use vhf radios with repeaters at my work, but we have a minimal understanding of them, we just use them.

I guess the only thing stopping me is that any time I look up info on ham radios I come up with articles with HUNDREDS of pages of technical explanations. It's gonna take me a long time to read through all that just to talk on a radio lol.

Products Discussed in this Thread