Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Communicating on the trail with no CB

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-23-2013, 04:48 PM   #1
'merica
FreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: null
FreidTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Communicating on the trail with no CB

So I have been thinking about how I can talk to fellow trail riders while wheeling in the mountains with no cell service or cb.
Is there a way to do some sort of chat through laptops and a router just communicating back and forth? or a phone app? any ideas?
Old 09-23-2013, 04:57 PM   #2
Hiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hiatt
Hiatt1991's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Hiatt1991
Try investing in 2 meter HAM radio. They can reach all around the world and are great for offroading since CB doesn't reach very far. I have an icon ic-v8000 and it has never let me down. Of, you could get some sort of cell signal booster.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:58 PM   #3
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
I use handheld radios. FRS I think they are. I picked up a set of Motorolas talk abouts not too long ago for about $80, but you can find much cheaper than that.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:00 PM   #4
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Smoke signals.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:02 PM   #5
nfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: GSM1
Name: Chris
nfs257's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiatt1991 View Post
Try investing in 2 meter HAM radio. They can reach all around the world and are great for offroading since CB doesn't reach very far. I have an icon ic-v8000 and it has never let me down. Of, you could get some sort of cell signal booster.
x2
Old 09-23-2013, 05:04 PM   #6
seedless024 has a brilliant futureseedless024 has a brilliant futureseedless024 has a brilliant futureseedless024 has a brilliant futureseedless024 has a brilliant futureseedless024 has a brilliant futureseedless024 has a brilliant futureseedless024 has a brilliant futureseedless024 has a brilliant futureseedless024 has a brilliant futureseedless024 has a brilliant future

Name: norman
seedless024's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Smoke signals.
puff puff the magic dragon lol
Old 09-23-2013, 05:08 PM   #7
'merica
FreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: null
FreidTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by seedless024 View Post
puff puff the magic dragon lol
too many trees and tight corners. Wont be able to see them.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:11 PM   #8
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
Carrier Pigeons
Old 09-23-2013, 05:11 PM   #9
she'll ride
nut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: AC3 (Vet)
nut's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
how often do you transmit over 50W? ive heard they can have issues above that even though its rated for 75W
Old 09-23-2013, 05:14 PM   #10
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
Quote:
X3
Old 09-23-2013, 05:18 PM   #11
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by nut View Post
how often do you transmit over 50W? ive heard they can have issues above that even though its rated for 75W
My 2meter radio is rated at 65watts and I transmit at full power without any issues.

Only issues that can happen is that the radio will get hot but that's only if you are talking non stop for long periods of time.

Edit: a 2meter radio at the minimum power setting at 5watts will still have greater range and clarity then any cb radio setup so you don't always have to run it at full power
Old 09-23-2013, 05:19 PM   #12
she'll ride
nut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nut's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyProof View Post
My 2meter radio is rated at 65watts and I transmit at full power without any issues.

Only issues that can happen is that the radio will get hot but that's only if you are talking non stop for long periods of time.
what radio do you have?
Old 09-23-2013, 05:23 PM   #14
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jake
95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Local member says that this radio will work fine for trail runs
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006J4G49C/...amazonquery-20
Old 09-23-2013, 05:23 PM   #15
Power Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by nut View Post
what radio do you have?
Yasue 2800m which is now obsolete. The newer version that replaced the the 2800m is the 2900m and is 75watts at full powed
Old 09-23-2013, 05:25 PM   #16
Power Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 taco View Post
Local member says that this radio will work fine for trail runs
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006J4G49C/...amazonquery-20
Yes..most everyone in my rockcrawlkng club and all the other rock crawling clubs in my area all have that radio or the other Chinese brand which is wouxun. Great radios for the money
Old 09-23-2013, 05:25 PM   #17
she'll ride

nut's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyProof View Post
Yasue 2800m which is now obsolete. The newer version that replaced the the 2800m is the 2900m and is 75watts at full powed
thanks, ill check it out!
Old 09-23-2013, 05:26 PM   #18
the Nightman cometh!
jjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delmarva View Post
Voxer app works(ish)
Ish?

"If you get stuck, let me know, i can help-ish... maybe"
Old 09-23-2013, 05:30 PM   #20
Power Top

I bought the wouxun uv3d for jasmine well over two years ago and never had a problem with it. Every time we go on a trail run or hiking we bring that radio with us as a standby radio. And despite me always dropping it, it still keeps on ticking. I used to have the yasue ft60 for my walkietalkie but I lost it at the hammers. Never replaced it because jasmines radio is kickass

Products Discussed in this Thread