Notices

Performance at Glamis?

Old 10-16-2013, 01:57 PM   #1
Flux is on a distinguished road
Name: Cody
Flux's Tacoma Gallery
Performance at Glamis?

Hey guys,
I've been going to Glamis since 1996, mostly riding quads or driving sand rails. Recently, I've been looking into buying a 2014 Taco - luckily i've stumbled across these forums and already found out some pretty good knowledge.
I have some quick questions to ask if you guys dont mind!
I'm confused between what type of model i should get, whats best optimized for sand? I'm 99% sure that I wont be doing any rock crawling. Might do some snow while driving up to go snowboarding. But other than sand and/or dirt, most of my driving will be street. I do plan to do some mild modding, not Trophy truck style but I do want it to have strong performance when I offroad.
Does the 4x2 do great in sand? Or should I roll with the 4x4?
How well would you rate your performance out at glamis? Able to go mildly-deep in the dunes?
Are you guys able to haul some trailers into camping spots besides Gecko? ( obviously not toy-haulers, else id be looking into Tundras)
Can the shortbed with bed gate fit a normal sized quad? ( Yamaha Raptor 700)

Any opinions would help!
Looking forward to your responses so I can speed up my Taco purchase

Thanks,
Cody aka Flux
Old 10-16-2013, 02:01 PM   #2
SPEEDY CRAWLER
4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: cody
4runnercaged's Tacoma Gallery
dont get a 2wd. you will hate life

with my 4wd 97 taco i could dune anywhere.
as long as you know how to dune you will be fine in a 4wd slightly modded/beefed.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:05 PM   #5
Flux's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EL ROJO View Post
4wd ftw! Check out this thread

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/off...amis-trip.html

That and try asking in the 2nd gen pages.
That's the first thread I saw on these forums haha.
I would go but I'm pretty sure If I built and ordered my taco, it wouldn't be here by next week

I'll throw this in 2nd gen also, thanks for the heads up!
Old 10-16-2013, 02:07 PM   #6
Flux's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4runnercaged View Post
dont get a 2wd. you will hate life

with my 4wd 97 taco i could dune anywhere.
as long as you know how to dune you will be fine in a 4wd slightly modded/beefed.
that's what i've been thinking! But I heard people preferring the locker instead of transfer case? Didn't know the official stand thats why I wanted to ask
Old 10-16-2013, 02:09 PM   #7
TacoRuthe is on a distinguished road

Name: Joshua
TacoRuthe's Tacoma Gallery
I have not ventured to Glamis before, however, I was able to do pretty well @ Pine Valley with my 2011 Pre-Runner (4x2) with just a lift and new tread. BTW it was also raining and I did not get stuck once....oh yah and pitch black out.

That being said in August I traded it for a 13' 4x4 OR Tacoma, not because I would NEED it out here in SoCal but because I WANTED it. I like to fly solo and the added security of 4x4 is nice, atleast I know I have to be really stupid to get stuck now. I see more 4x2's out here then 4x4's honestly...it's up to you when I bought my 2011 driving "off-highway" didn't even cross my mind. Since then my interests changed hence me getting a 4x4

I'm sure there are plenty of people happy with 4x2, and you are in the perfect location for it. I personally would never go back from 4x4 now. Another thing to consider.....me personally I plan to keep this for a loooong time so when it becomes my "Toy" it's nice knowing it will be up to the task of more seriously shit.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:18 PM   #8
Flux's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoRuthe View Post
I have not ventured to Glamis before, however, I was able to do pretty well @ Pine Valley with my 2011 Pre-Runner (4x2) with just a lift and new tread. BTW it was also raining and I did not get stuck once....oh yah and pitch black out.

That being said in August I traded it for a 13' 4x4 OR Tacoma, not because I would NEED it out here in SoCal but because I WANTED it. I like to fly solo and the added security of 4x4 is nice, atleast I know I have to be really stupid to get stuck now. I see more 4x2's out here then 4x4's honestly...it's up to you when I bought my 2011 driving "off-highway" didn't even cross my mind. Since then my interests changed hence me getting a 4x4

I'm sure there are plenty of people happy with 4x2, and you are in the perfect location for it. I personally would never go back from 4x4 now. Another thing to consider.....me personally I plan to keep this for a loooong time so when it becomes my "Toy" it's nice knowing it will be up to the task of more seriously shit.

Oh nice man. That sounds pretty good. Seems like 4x4 is the way to go then haha. Yeah, my girlfriend and I would be going out to glamis more often by ourselves, cant rely on others to pull ya out.

You guys crawl up olds pretty easily with mild modding im assuming?
Old 10-16-2013, 02:19 PM   #9
aka Senor Tacorojo
EL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: CORY
EL ROJO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux View Post
that's what i've been thinking! But I heard people preferring the locker instead of transfer case? Didn't know the official stand thats why I wanted to ask
How about locker and transfer case!!!! The sport 4x has no locker, the offroad package 4x does.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:24 PM   #10
SPEEDY CRAWLER
4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: cody
4runnercaged's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EL ROJO View Post
How about locker and transfer case!!!! The sport 4x has no locker, the offroad package 4x does.
exactly what i was going to say.
locker & transfer case.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:44 PM   #11
Nixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Nixinus's Tacoma Gallery
I prefer the ride of the sport on pavement but its your truck so test drive both. You can always go air lockers after if you prefer the sport. 4x4 for your situation.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:53 PM   #12
TacoRuthe is on a distinguished road

Name: Joshua
TacoRuthe's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux View Post
Oh nice man. That sounds pretty good. Seems like 4x4 is the way to go then haha. Yeah, my girlfriend and I would be going out to glamis more often by oursQUOTE, cant rely on others to pull ya out.

You guys crawl up olds pretty easily with mild modding im assuming?
Yah I think we did the main road in pine valley but it was pretty steep, did not go down any of the side trails really. Since I have taken my 13' to Indian truck trail and it did really well all stock just used 4H. The only thing that worried me was the stock rugged trails getting punctured with all the rocks.