Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Trans American Trail?

Old 04-30-2014, 07:31 AM   #41
TacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jackson
TacomaJack09's Tacoma Gallery
I've been planning on running this on my DRZ, never thought about running it in my Taco. Hmmm......

Edit: Awesome video!
Old 04-30-2014, 08:16 AM   #42
NewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Travis, Truck: Baja
NewRider's Tacoma Gallery
interested in doing MOAB as well? My plan is to run it back from there to Tenn. on my way back to VA and you could do the same to Kentucky
Old 04-30-2014, 08:43 AM   #43
kendizzle is on a distinguished road

Marines: 0331
Name: wil
kendizzle's Tacoma Gallery
My idea of running the trail is done for now, taco was totaled......
Old 04-30-2014, 12:42 PM   #44
NewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

damn!! not good to hear! what happened??
Old 04-30-2014, 01:16 PM   #45
kendizzle is on a distinguished road

Marines: 0331
Name: wil
kendizzle's Tacoma Gallery
You know the normal girlfriend borrowing it to just go down the street and gets t boned. Everyone was good except the truck. If it wasnt lifted it would have been a different story. I will be building something to take on the trail in the next couple years
Old 04-30-2014, 02:32 PM   #46

wow.. that really sucks, glad to hear everyones ok though! and wouldn't the other persons insurance cover the truck.. even though it's totaled?
Old 05-02-2014, 09:59 AM   #47
TacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jackson
TacomaJack09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRider View Post
interested in doing MOAB as well? My plan is to run it back from there to Tenn. on my way back to VA and you could do the same to Kentucky
Definitely am, but I don't think I'll be able to this year. My truck is basically stock until I pay it off.. I'd be happy to do a few sections of the TAT though!
Old 05-02-2014, 04:11 PM   #48

My plan is to schedule this trip to follow MOAB next year (2015), so you got lots of time to make payments/mods
Old 07-07-2014, 08:15 AM   #49
If it can't be overdone it's not worth doing
SMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nathan
SMKYTXN's Tacoma Gallery
I ran a small section of the trail in Northwest Arkansas last week. We basically did a day trip to see what it was like. The section we ran was only about 25 miles, but we were stopping to see the sights and play.

The majority of it was well graded forest service roads, although there were a couple of sections that were a little less friendly. I did have to get the winch out to pull a fallen tree out of the road. I could have driven over it, but my brothers stock 200 series LC wouldn't have made it over.

If anyone is familiar with the area we started at the Mill Creek OHV park and ended in Mountainburg. We made a stop at White Rock Mountain and a few creek crossings.

All in all it was a fantastic day out with family. I have more pictures, but here are a few that I've uploaded.

This was a little side trip up Hurricane Creek during lunch. I made it as far as a could before high water stopped me. This is what happened when I backed down the creek. It's a good thing I have lockers. What you can't see is that my diff is sitting in a divot in the rock.

If you get the chance, go for it. This was a really fun trip and I look forward to exploring more of the trail in the future.
Old 07-07-2014, 02:24 PM   #50

looks like a great short trip! see any little side shoots that would be worth checking out? I'm still trying to compile a list of spots worth seeing and local help is always the best place to look for that kinda stuff
Old 07-07-2014, 02:32 PM   #51
If it can't be overdone it's not worth doing
SMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nathan
SMKYTXN's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRider View Post
looks like a great short trip! see any little side shoots that would be worth checking out? I'm still trying to compile a list of spots worth seeing and local help is always the best place to look for that kinda stuff
I would definitely stop at White Rock Mountain. It's a CCC built park and well worth the visit. If you're camping along the way be sure to make it one of your overnight stops.

We explored the main lodge and several of the overlooks. Plenty to see and do. We made a meal out of the wild blackberries and blueberries along the paths as well.

White Rock Mountain

The entrance to the park is right off of the main TAT trail so it's not out of the way.
Old 07-07-2014, 03:26 PM   #52

Great! I am definitely planning to camp and *fingers crossed* in a RTT, got about a year to plan for this thing so I'm hoping to save enough for one
Old 08-12-2014, 09:47 AM   #53
arock is on a distinguished road
arock's Tacoma Gallery
I may be in for the trip if something is still being planned. I was planning a trip to Moab next spring. Will have to see how funding goes though. Some things I would need to get done on the truck prior to the trip.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:15 AM   #54
GuitarGuy91 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuitarGuy91 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuitarGuy91 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuitarGuy91 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuitarGuy91 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuitarGuy91 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuitarGuy91 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuitarGuy91 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuitarGuy91 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuitarGuy91 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuitarGuy91 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
GuitarGuy91's Tacoma Gallery
If they made it in stock Land Cruisers, I'm curious how a stock Tacoma would run it. Would love to do this. Sucks being in NY though. Looks like an 8 hour drive (at least) just to get to the trail. All the gas spent on this I could do some serious mods haha.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:30 AM   #55

I'm still planning to do the TAT but from Moab BACK to Tennessee/va

And guitarguy: I'd say a stock taco would probably fair very well on it but I know also that some people who've run it stick skip certain sections because of clearance issues and other reasons. My plan is to not skip any of it if I can help it so I'm prepping my truck for as much as I can. Plus, yes it'll be expensive, but what're all those mods good for if your don't really use em?
Old 08-12-2014, 12:01 PM   #56
Dwill817 is a splendid one to beholdDwill817 is a splendid one to beholdDwill817 is a splendid one to beholdDwill817 is a splendid one to beholdDwill817 is a splendid one to beholdDwill817 is a splendid one to beholdDwill817 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Drew
Dwill817's Tacoma Gallery
I would love to do the TAT out to Moab and back!
Old 08-12-2014, 02:02 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwill817 View Post
I would love to do the TAT out to Moab and back!
You've got more $$ and time than I do! I'm plannin to cruise out with the ya crew one a long weekend for the meetup in Moab but then take about a month to comeback on the TAT
Old 08-12-2014, 04:19 PM   #58
Dwill817 is a splendid one to beholdDwill817 is a splendid one to beholdDwill817 is a splendid one to beholdDwill817 is a splendid one to beholdDwill817 is a splendid one to beholdDwill817 is a splendid one to beholdDwill817 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Drew
Dwill817's Tacoma Gallery
A month? Maybe a week each way plus a few days in Moab. 2.5 weeks of vacations and no I most definitely do not have the money right now to do a trip like this (aka college).

I was just saying I would like to one day.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:41 PM   #60
You gonna eat your cornbread?
Possum Fat is one of the sharper tools in the shedPossum Fat is one of the sharper tools in the shedPossum Fat is one of the sharper tools in the shedPossum Fat is one of the sharper tools in the shedPossum Fat is one of the sharper tools in the shedPossum Fat is one of the sharper tools in the shedPossum Fat is one of the sharper tools in the shedPossum Fat is one of the sharper tools in the shedPossum Fat is one of the sharper tools in the shedPossum Fat is one of the sharper tools in the shedPossum Fat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Possum Fat's Tacoma Gallery
Are the maps only available thru the site?