Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Should i off road?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-29-2013, 05:27 PM   #1
acejack is on a distinguished road
acejack's Tacoma Gallery
Should i off road?

I have a 2013 2WD V6 Double cab. I am wondering if i should be scared to go off-roading/mudding. It has a 3 inch leveling kit and all terrain tires. I guess my main question is, what is the likelihood i get stuck?
Old 10-29-2013, 05:28 PM   #2
Say no to Bro
kirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clayton
kirkofwimbo's Tacoma Gallery
Be afraid, be very afraid

Edit: You'll never know 'til you try. Ain't no sense in wondering, just have a buddy ready to pull you out when you do.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:34 PM   #3
Ghost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
Ghost848's Tacoma Gallery
Go have fun whats the point of owning a truck if you dont go crazy once in a while take it and use it. Just remember play hard fix hard
Old 10-29-2013, 05:34 PM   #4
TACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelly
TACO TX's Tacoma Gallery
Be smart, dont get overly excited and do something stupid, and no what the obstacle is. That means know the depth of mud holes and water crossings. Be ready to wrench cause stuff is gonna break and go bad, diff and transfer case fluids will need changing, bearings will need changing and such. Never go alone!
Old 10-29-2013, 05:36 PM   #5
Senor Taco
Mademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
Mademan925's Tacoma Gallery
I did in my 2 wheel drive. Make sure you have a rope and someone with 4wd.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:55 PM   #6
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Until you actually get stuck, the likelihood of getting stuck is 0%.

I think, to an extent, it's great to know the truck's limits.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:07 PM   #7
revised
TrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: HM2
TrdSurgie's Tacoma Gallery
I would consider replacing the spacers with 5100 shocks. The spacers are known to blow shocks when offroading. Otherwise have fun. I was alittle worried the first time too.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:22 PM   #8
Canazes9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanazes9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanazes9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanazes9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanazes9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanazes9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanazes9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanazes9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanazes9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanazes9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanazes9 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
Canazes9's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrdSurgie View Post
I would consider replacing the spacers with 5100 shocks. The spacers are known to blow shocks when offroading. Otherwise have fun. I was alittle worried the first time too.
This ^^

And drop you air pressure to about 15-20psi to maximize traction. This is about the cheapest air pump to refill tires that's worth having:

http://www.amazon.com/Industries-MV5...pr_product_top

It is sold under a lot of different names at various auto parts stores, just look for the MV-50...

David
Old 10-29-2013, 06:31 PM   #9
Running For Mayor of TW
richardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
richardbui23's Tacoma Gallery
I do it and I'm open diff 2WD if you do it be careful and don't attempt anything that looks too sketchy unless you have a buddy
Old 10-30-2013, 12:45 PM   #10
Out fer a Rip eh Bud
VanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: DJ
VanCity4x's Tacoma Gallery
Offroading yes, I'd stay away from mud tho. When mine was 2wd I got stuck in mud and on really steep inclines. Struggled with some mild rock crawling but made it through. Anything wet is going to limit your traction. Going through some puddles is going to be fine but I wouldn't try any deep sticky mudding, just going to get stuck. I scratched the shit out of my rims being stupid in mud.

You'll be totally fine with dry gravel and dirt trails even with a little steepness to it. Get out and try it, offroading is a blast.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:57 PM   #11
Running For Mayor of TW
richardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
richardbui23's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanCity4x View Post
Offroading yes, I'd stay away from mud tho. When mine was 2wd I got stuck in mud and on really steep inclines. Struggled with some mild rock crawling but made it through. Anything wet is going to limit your traction. Going through some puddles is going to be fine but I wouldn't try any deep sticky mudding, just going to get stuck. I scratched the shit out of my rims being stupid in mud.

You'll be totally fine with dry gravel and dirt trails even with a little steepness to it. Get out and try it, offroading is a blast.
i've been in mud in the rain in my 2WD as long as you dont go into deep stuff and have good tires with decent tread left you should be ok. these trucks are surprisingly capable in 2wd
Old 10-30-2013, 01:32 PM   #12
revised
TrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: HM2
TrdSurgie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardbui23 View Post
i've been in mud in the rain in my 2WD as long as you dont go into deep stuff and have good tires with decent tread left you should be ok. these trucks are surprisingly capable in 2wd
Right....
Old 11-05-2013, 03:19 PM   #13
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Stay away from both mud and sand, unless you bring a buddy with a winch.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:51 PM   #14
gospurs21 is on a distinguished road
Name: Chris
gospurs21's Tacoma Gallery
i have a tacoma prerunner and i get stuck often. got new all terrains and it does wonders but still never underestimate the obstacle.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:12 PM   #15
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost848 View Post
Just remember play hard fix hard
This.

My dad had a '74 K5 Blazer and we had a blast with that truck.
Went on a few Terra-Del-Sol runs in Ocotillo, he never did more than replace a flat (and mod).

The guy he sold it to when he was getting ready to retire ended up breaking shit every time he took it out.
Old 11-13-2013, 05:55 AM   #16
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
First off - if you've never gone mudding or offroading....some rules of thumb.

#1) Never go off roading alone. Have another vehicle with you. You need that extra vehicle to get you 'unstuck' if needed. You also need that extra vehicle in case your vehicle breaks down. You also need that extra vehicle in case you have a medical emergency and someone can drive your ass home or to an emergency room.

#2) Tread Lightly. Do not blaze your own (or new) trails. WHY? Protect our environment and only go on existing trails. Existing trails are safer. Less likely to get stuck or lost. Promote the hobby in a positive manner.

#3) Since you asked and are obviously concerned.....Find a buddy who's experienced in off roading. Have him/her take you out and teach you the ropes. There are lots of DO's and DON'T's and DRIVER SKILL places a huge importance to not getting stuck AND preventing damage to your truck.

#4) Go prepared. Again....this is where an experienced 'buddy' can help you.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:11 AM   #17
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gospurs21 View Post
i have a tacoma prerunner and i get stuck often. got new all terrains and it does wonders but still never underestimate the obstacle.
One trick to try, when one wheel is spinning and the other doesn't spin at all, is to put on the e-brake part way. This will cause the spinning wheel to stop spinning, and send some torque to the other side. Helps with posi AND open rear ends.

Adding a TAD (Traction Aiding Differential) will greatly reduce the likelihood of getting stuck. Cost from $300 to $1600 depending on the unit and your mechanical ability. Lots of choices: posi or locker, automatic or selectable.
Old 11-13-2013, 05:06 PM   #18
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
And be aware of your grip on the steering wheel.

KEEP YOUR THUMBS ON THE SURFACE OF THE WHEEL, NOT INSIDE.

This is not a normal driving grip, so it takes awareness.
Hitting a rock or a rut at the wrong angle can yank the wheel out of your hands and the spokes will whip around and snap your thumb.
Old 11-13-2013, 05:12 PM   #19
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MGMTacolover55's Tacoma Gallery
Do this: take your truck on the easy trails and get experience Aldo a rear locker might help out but what I really suggest is get a 4x4
Old 11-20-2013, 01:44 AM   #20
x2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

x2468's Tacoma Gallery
Or just get an ATV and call it a day.

Products Discussed in this Thread