Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Manual or Automatic, Which do you prefer?

Old 10-31-2013, 05:32 AM   #1
Maineiack is on a distinguished road

Maineiack's Tacoma Gallery
Manual or Automatic, Which do you prefer?

Mostly just a discussion thread. I see a lot of rigs with manual transmission. I also hear lots of people say that automatics are boss on the trails. Just wondering what some of you guys prefer. I currently have a manual, but when I upgrade to a TRD I don't know if I am going to want an automatic or standard.
Old 10-31-2013, 05:39 AM   #3
flatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shed

flatblack's Tacoma Gallery
^ Knew someone would do that

Haha
To be techinical that one is a which is stronger thread
This is what do you prefer
Old 10-31-2013, 05:42 AM   #5
flatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I prefer Manual; and, I will cheat and transfer my post from that other thread over to here as to why...

"If pretty much anything goes wrong inside of an automatic, you're not moving; whereas, even if several of your gears are completely dusted in your manual, you can still get home: do the ol' shift from 1st to 3rd to 5th (or whatever)

If your battery dies, you're screwed with an auto; got a manual? BAM! just pop start that S'om Bit#$ (yeah, I know, pop-starting often requires some foreknowledge so as you're sitting on an incline or have a buddy in tow to give you a push, etc.)

If your battery is still alive, but your engine won't start and you're sitting dead at an intersection: you're screwed with an auto; Got a manual?! Clutch Start Cancel that baby and creep off to the shoulder

These things to me = more reliable
You can almost always limp a manual home - or, at least, out of harm's way"

Also... I highly prefer being in absolute control of what gear my truck is in; don't think I need to explain why: you guys are smart
Old 10-31-2013, 05:43 AM   #6
Milk was a BAD choice
CHUNKY08 has a brilliant futureCHUNKY08 has a brilliant futureCHUNKY08 has a brilliant futureCHUNKY08 has a brilliant futureCHUNKY08 has a brilliant futureCHUNKY08 has a brilliant futureCHUNKY08 has a brilliant futureCHUNKY08 has a brilliant futureCHUNKY08 has a brilliant futureCHUNKY08 has a brilliant futureCHUNKY08 has a brilliant future

Name: Dave
CHUNKY08's Tacoma Gallery
You are splitting hairs...not really much difference if you read that thread. It's mostly personal preferences/everyones opinion...just like OP is looking for.
Old 10-31-2013, 05:46 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHUNKY08 View Post
You are splitting hairs...not really much difference if you read that thread. It's mostly personal preferences/everyones opinion...just like OP is looking for.
yes, you're absolutely right about that other thread mainly being people's personal opinion
But, the OP of that thread isn't looking for personal opinion - he wants to know which one is more robust
Old 10-31-2013, 05:48 AM   #8
Milk was a BAD choice
CHUNKY08 has a brilliant futureCHUNKY08 has a brilliant futureCHUNKY08 has a brilliant futureCHUNKY08 has a brilliant futureCHUNKY08 has a brilliant futureCHUNKY08 has a brilliant futureCHUNKY08 has a brilliant futureCHUNKY08 has a brilliant futureCHUNKY08 has a brilliant futureCHUNKY08 has a brilliant futureCHUNKY08 has a brilliant future

Name: Dave
CHUNKY08's Tacoma Gallery
read the OP's first post..."Just wondering what some of you guys prefer."
nothing about robust...
Just trying to help OP out with more info faster than waiting for everyone to re-post on here.
Old 10-31-2013, 05:53 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHUNKY08 View Post
read the OP's first post..."Just wondering what some of you guys prefer."
nothing about robust...
Just trying to help OP out with more info faster than waiting for everyone to re-post on here.
I meant the "which one is stronger" thread is about which one is more robust
Whereas this one is about which one you prefer
Old 10-31-2013, 05:56 AM   #10
Quack Addict
monstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

monstertaco12's Tacoma Gallery
Can't complain about the auto but a manual would be pretty nice with the supercharger
Old 10-31-2013, 06:47 AM   #11
Wait for it...
StAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: SWO
Name: Chris
StAndrew's Tacoma Gallery
Manual is more fun but Auto is easier to drive offroad. Manual can be a pita sometimes unless you have a crawler.
Old 10-31-2013, 06:57 AM   #12
Runn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud of

Runn0r's Tacoma Gallery
I've always driven a manual. They are slightly better on gas and there is more control over the power. Having a 2WD, the manual has gotten me out of the snow many times. Being able to coax the truck out of a stuck spot by letting off the clutch in 2nd or 3rd gear is what saved me. One time in my old ranger, in the winter I came out to a dead battery, it was 12AM, I was on a very slight incline so I pushed the truck, jumped in, put it in 2nd and popped the clutch.. bingo! roll started. No cables needed.

Now that I live in a more populated area though, some days the 5-speed can be annoying due to all the gay stop lights that change erratically sometimes. So I have often wondered if I should get an auto, because of my commute now. Manuals are typically cheaper and easier to repair. Auto's are definitely more convenient.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:01 AM   #13
Maineiack is on a distinguished road

Maineiack's Tacoma Gallery
I figured there was already a post like this, but, I was too lazy to look. I agree, auto is more convenient, but, manual is more fun.
Old 10-31-2013, 06:42 PM   #14
TheGoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGoat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
TheGoat's Tacoma Gallery
I care more about a car/truck more if its a manual. Auto is just a tool, manual is more of a toy. I usually turn down the radio in a manual, its all the entertainment I need. lol
Old 11-19-2013, 05:00 AM   #15

I didn't notice before that this is in the "off-road" section

Another thing I like about a manual is that if you have open-diffs and you get stuck cause only your tire that's getting no traction is spinning, you can do some e-brake action and get some torque going to your other wheel

Obviously an LSD and especially a Locker, whether manual or auto, is the ideal scenario
But, if you do have open-diffs, this could mayyyyybe save you; to my knowledge, autos don't have an e-brake; although, I suppose you could feather your brakes to get a somewhat similiar result - not quite as convienent, though
Old 11-19-2013, 06:02 AM   #16
BroBraBlahBlah
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
All vehicle must have a park brake as part of the redundant braking system. The ebrake works well in autos with the LSD. Applying the park brake does nothing with a locker. The idea of applying the park brake is to put a little bit of resistance on the wheel without traction, therefore transferring some torque to the wheel with traction, if order to gain forward motion.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:36 AM   #17
TheGoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGoat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
TheGoat's Tacoma Gallery
I think he means hand brake. The autos have a foot parking break, kinda hard to use on the fly.

Also the LSD on the newer trucks is a break assisted LSD not mechanical. When it feels slipping, it automatically applies the break to that wheel transferring power to the other wheel. So its already doing the break tricking for you.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:42 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatblack View Post
I didn't notice before that this is in the "off-road" section

Another thing I like about a manual is that if you have open-diffs and you get stuck cause only your tire that's getting no traction is spinning, you can do some e-brake action and get some torque going to your other wheel

Obviously an LSD and especially a Locker, whether manual or auto, is the ideal scenario
But, if you do have open-diffs, this could mayyyyybe save you; to my knowledge, autos don't have an e-brake; although, I suppose you could feather your brakes to get a somewhat similiar result - not quite as convienent, though
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonman View Post
All vehicle must have a park brake as part of the redundant braking system. The ebrake works well in autos with the LSD. Applying the park brake does nothing with a locker. The idea of applying the park brake is to put a little bit of resistance on the wheel without traction, therefore transferring some torque to the wheel with traction, if order to gain forward motion.

Aren't you just repeating exactly what I said?
haha
Old 11-19-2013, 10:44 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoat View Post
I think he means hand brake. The autos have a foot parking break, kinda hard to use on the fly.

Also the LSD on the newer trucks is a break assisted LSD not mechanical. When it feels slipping, it automatically applies the break to that wheel transferring power to the other wheel. So its already doing the break tricking for you.
Yes, meant hand-brake
Thanks
Old 11-20-2013, 04:12 PM   #20
VATACOEXP is one of the sharper tools in the shedVATACOEXP is one of the sharper tools in the shedVATACOEXP is one of the sharper tools in the shedVATACOEXP is one of the sharper tools in the shedVATACOEXP is one of the sharper tools in the shedVATACOEXP is one of the sharper tools in the shedVATACOEXP is one of the sharper tools in the shedVATACOEXP is one of the sharper tools in the shedVATACOEXP is one of the sharper tools in the shedVATACOEXP is one of the sharper tools in the shedVATACOEXP is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
VATACOEXP's Tacoma Gallery
Auto, have a bum knee.